Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 4, 2010, 9:15 AM   #1

Default Canon T2i or Canon 50D

Hi. I've been researching for a long time and have settled on a choice between these two cameras. I know there are lots of great choices out there from all sorts of manufacturers, but I'm going to pick one of these two. I would love advice about which one. I'm a novice now, but I plan to get to the point where I can make money with my camera. I would pick the T21 because of the price, but I really don't mind spending extra on the 50D if it's worth it for what I want to do. The video in the T2i is a bonus, but not very important. I need the photos to look good when they're enlarged. Also, I would like to know: when I get better and want to move up the Canon line, will the lenses I have collected for the 50D transfer? For the T2i? I plan to collect wide-angle and macro as well as the usual.
Tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2

I was in this place several months ago. I ended up going with the T2i, but the decsion was influenced by my wifes direction. The 50D as a better Auto focus, has lens micro adjust capability and is a bigger camera. I like layout of the T2i better, but that is a personal preference. The T2i has a great sensor, but is limited in terms of frames per second. Both are great cameras! As far a lens go they both use the same selection of lens and unless you switch companies the lens will be upwardly mobile as you change bodies.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Super Moderator

well the good news is, you can't really go wrong with either camera, they both have some advantages.

the 50d will give you a more robust construction, micro adjust and faster fps and autofocus.

the t2i will give you video, a lighter smaller package, and slightly better image quality overall.

as a novice learning the ropes, either would suit you just as well. i would be tempted to get the t2i right now, its slightly better image quality and it is a smaller, lighter camera meaning you will probably have it on your person more.

the 50d and t2i are equivalent on their lens mount. they both take the EF and EF-S lenses and have aps-c sized sensors. Any of the EF lenses you buy are fully compatible with any camera in Canon's EOS line including the full frame 1dsmkiii and 5dmkii and the 1.3x crop 1dmkiv. the ef-s lenses (as well as digital only lenses from other manufacturers) only work on aps-c cameras, which includes the Rebels, the 50d series and the new 7d.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 11:38 PM   #4

If you want to save some more money and put it toward lenses, and since video is not a big thing. Take a look at the T1i, it uses pretty much the same sensor as the 50D.

But progressions something you are concern about, you are planning one day to move up to the high price full frame and 1.3x bodies 2500+ dollars currently, you will want to focus your lens purchases toward EF lenses only or none digital lenses from 3rd parties.
Old May 5, 2010, 11:10 AM   #5

Thank you so much, everyone. I went ahead and got the T21. I figured that I can use and learn on it until I'm ready for a big upgrade rather than spend the extra on the 50D. The 50D looked very impressive and felt very sturdy, but it was simply too big in my hands. I chose the T2i over the T1i because of the video. While video wasn't really a big factor in the purchase, it's still going to be kind of nice to have. I found a nice price on the camera and two lenses. When I showed the purchases to my friend, she suddenly pulled out two very nice lenses from a Canon she no longer uses. She gave them to me, as well as a cleaning kit, filters and very nice bag. So I wound up with the T2i, 4 lenses (one macro), 2 filters, and a great bag for under $1,000. I'm very happy with my decision!

Last edited by Tiva; May 5, 2010 at 11:15 AM.
Tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 4:44 PM   #6

Congrats, very nice getting some lenses with it.