Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 5, 2010, 12:43 PM   #11

Well, the Canon should be arriving in the mail in a day or two. Unfortunately the memory cards have still not shipped. So I will have to figure something out with that. I have been reading through the posts on this forum and reviews for the Canon SX210IS and the Sony DSC-HX5V and I have compiled a quick list of which is better in various categories. If I am wrong in any, or if you have any to add please let me know. Was just doing a quick and easy rundown to compare the two to help me make a better decision.

Image Quality
SX210IS > HX5V

ISO Performance
SX210IS > HX5V

Manual Controls
SX210IS > HX5V

Low Light Image Quality
SX210IS > HX5V

Camera Flash
SX210IS > HX5V

LCD Screen
SX210IS > HX5V

Zoom Speed
SX210IS > HX5V

Zoom
SX210IS > HX5V

Camera Boot-up
SX210IS > HX5V

Image Stabilization
SX210IS > HX5V

Video Stabilization
SX210IS > HX5V

In Camera HD Video Editing
SX210IS > HX5V

Image Sharpness
SX210IS > HX5V

In-Video Zoom Noise
HX5V > SX210IS

Noise Reduction
HX5V > SX210IS

Low Light HD Video Quality
HX5V > SX210IS

HD Video Quality
HX5V > SX210IS

HD Video Resolution
HX5V > SX210IS

Battery Life
HX5V > SX210IS

Camera Size
HX5V > SX210IS

GPS
HX5V > SX210IS

Panoramic Image
HX5V > SX210IS

Last edited by sirdomino; May 5, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
sirdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 10:34 PM   #12

learning a little about any camera will help you get better results. no point and shoot i've tried does as well on auto for me as i could do by working with the settings a little - speeding up the shutter speed, changing the ISO, setting my own white balance, etc. i've never seen a camera that gets the white balance right every time.

imo it's well worth learning the basics as it will result in your having control and being able to shoot the pics you'd like to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdomino View Post
I am curious, what about the camera disappointed you at first and how were you able to "practice" to improve the photos?

That statement worries me a little because I bought the camera mainly due to the fact of wanting a simple Point and Shoot camera with excellent pictures while still having features and enough manual controls for when the situations arise.

Honestly, my wife and I know very little about photography or even how to fully utilize a digital camera, but I am willing to learn and read through the manual.

I ordered the camera from Amazon and it has not even been delivered yet. Should be here in a day or two. I ordered from Amazon due to their generous return policy which would allow me to "try before keeping" the camera.

Thanks for your help with this!
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 10:47 PM   #13

pcake's post is very insightful-

She is really 100% correct. The more you know about your camera and how it works, the better the photos you can take with your camera. As your photo experience and learning increases, your photos get progressively better.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 11:51 PM   #14

The main reason the first few photos did not turn out well was because I did not notice the mode dial was set to the wrong mode. It was set to "Program," and since I hadn't changed the settings to be appropriate for the subject, the photo didn't look right. Switiching it back to Auto, or something else more appropriate, definitely helped.

In the beginning I did notice the "flash shadow" that another poster has mentioned, but the only time it was as severe as other photos posted is when the camera was less than 1 foot (30 cm) from the subject and the lens was at its widest. Otherwise, in a few photos there was only a very small black spot in the corner. A variety of things (each on their own) eliminated the shadow, including:
- Being in a room with good overhead lighting
- Zooming in slightly (or a lot)
- Changing the settings on the camera
- Moving further from the subject
- Not using the flash in macro shots
- Holding the camera sideways

I agree with the previous poster - learning a little about the camera will definitely help. Just learning how to turn the flash on and off (through menus and pushing the flash down), how to zoom in and out, how to pre-focus the images, how to switch between shooting modes, etc. will put you well on your way to getting some good images. I will admit I have not even opened the CD that has the manual on it, or the little guide that came with the camera, but my previous camera (SD1000) was also a Canon, so I was a little familiar with the menu system.

Like Sarah Joyce, I too have found situations where Auto mode just didn't work. For example, when shooting a galloping horse or a stock car (with another camera, haven't tried this one) the Auto mode did not choose a shutter speed fast enough to freeze the motion.

A little basic knowlege of photography will help too - such as when to use (and when not to use) "macro," what distances and situations are best for flash photography, panning action, etc.

The other thing I did was just take a lot of photos. Photograph the same subject several times. Move around the dials, push buttons and change the settings, and then shoot the same subject again and see how the results change. Two good things about digital - you can see the photo immediately, and you don't have to print every photo you take, even if you don't have your own darkroom.

And if you decide this camera isn't for you, that's okay. I've tried cameras before that some people liked (and some didn't) and found that I had different opinions of it than other users. That's why it's great there are so many options available.

Good Luck!
JAC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 9:27 AM   #15

I ended up returning the SX210IS and purchased the Sony DSC-HX5V instead. Overall I am enjoying the Sony much more than the Canon. I also was able to get a pretty good deal on it as well.

Thanks for all the guidance on these cameras, it really was a huge help!
sirdomino is offline   Reply With Quote