Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 4, 2010, 10:36 AM   #1

Default Bought a Canon SX210IS, should I return it?

I had been casually shopping online and went ahead and purchased the Canon SX210IS as I had heard wonderful things about the SX200 and figured the newest version would be better, with the new features.

I had briefly considered the new Sony HX5V, and Panasonic ZS7, but I had thought that the Canon would produce better pictures. I had looked at the Canon G11 but figured for the smaller size, that the SX210IS would be a good compromise.

Well, it seems that some of the folks on here and some other sites have said that the SX210IS has "below average" image quality.

I am wondering, what is the better alternative to the Canon SX210IS?

I am looking for something that has great battery life, HD video, and the best picture quality while being compact.

I only upgrade my digital cameras about once every 4 years, give or take, so I would like one that is durable, and provides enough features to get us through. I am still using my Sony DSC-P150.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by sirdomino; May 4, 2010 at 10:57 AM.
sirdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2010, 10:50 AM   #2

sirdomino-

We are in the process of sorting out that exact problem. The complaints have been about the SX-210's image quality hand held at full 14X (392mm) zoom. As you can see from the link listed below my signature, I have had an ongoing discussion with JAC123 about that image quality, and Jac has kindly posted several sample photos that look pretty good.

Sarah Joyce

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...zs3-hx5-2.html
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 2:33 PM   #3

I appreciate the response!

So aside from the "zoom picture quality" issue, overall the rest of the camera is superior? The normal non-zoomed photos rank high?

Besides the SX210IS, is there another camera that is superior but still within the same class? Something that is small/portable, but takes awesome pictures?

Would you recommend the Sony over the SX210IS?

I have been looking over the posts and it seems you really like the Panasonic ZS7. Have you had a lot of experience with Panasonic? How does it compare to Canon and Sony?

Thanks again

Last edited by sirdomino; May 4, 2010 at 2:35 PM.
Old May 4, 2010, 2:52 PM   #4

sirdomino

While I own the Sony HX5 and have posted many samples in the Sony P+S folder. I am a Canon fan and I have been attempting to get a determination on the SX-210. User comments have been very good on the SX-210, the only apparent "glitch" is the image quality at 14X optical zoom.

As I do not yet own the SX-210, I have had to depend on other users for reports on the SX-210 and it image quality. Thus far, things are looking very positive. So I am asking you to hang on for a short period to allow us some time to fully resolve the issue. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

EDIT: SirDomino-

We just got a "thumbs-up" from Jac123, and every thing looks good with the SX-210. So you should have no problems at all.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 4, 2010 at 3:05 PM.
Old May 4, 2010, 6:11 PM   #5

Where did you buy the camera? You might check their return policy. If you can return it even after you've used it, I would suggest that you use it for a few days and take some photos, and then see whether you like it or not. If you don't like the photos, you can return it and get something else. If you do like them, then you can just keep the camera you have. Be sure to check out the photos at full size on a computer monitor or TV - the LCD is too small to really judge the full quality of the pictures.

Of the cameras in this class, the SX210 was really the only one available in my area, so I bought it. It seems to have done pretty well for me so far, but no camera is right for everyone. The first few pictures I took were a little disappointing, but once I practiced for a few hours I started getting much better results.

I think the Sony does have some extra features, but less zoom. The pictures I have seen from it look very nice as well. I couldn't find one to test within 50 miles of my house, so I haven't used it in person.

I cannot find any Panasonic cameras around here anywhere, but online everyone who owns one seems to be pretty happy with it.

Good Luck!
JAC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 6:24 PM   #6

Thanks very much, for the great hands-on experience, Jac-

That is excellent advice and I am sure that it put Sir Domino in the perfect perspective to make his own judgment.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 5, 2010, 7:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
sirdomino

While I own the Sony HX5 and have posted many samples in the Sony P+S folder. I am a Canon fan and I have been attempting to get a determination on the SX-210. User comments have been very good on the SX-210, the only apparent "glitch" is the image quality at 14X optical zoom.

Sarah Joyce
I appreciate the responses immensely!

I am curious, besides the "Zoom issue" with the SX210IS, that seems to have been resolved, what other reasons caused you to lean towards the Sony HX5?

I personally like the Sony over the SX210IS in regards to the "Sweep panoramic" mode, and the 1080i HD video which seems to look better than the 720p mode on the Canon. The GPS and Compass were also features that I found interesting. Although I do wonder, doesn't the GPS feature kill the battery quicker? Overall, how is the image quality of the Sony vs the Canon?

I honestly did not even know Sony had released their HX5 until after I ordered the Canon, so I was a little perturbed by that and just when I thought I had made a decision the Sony came into play.

Again, I appreciate all your helpful advice and look forward to your response.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by sirdomino; May 5, 2010 at 7:43 AM.
Old May 5, 2010, 7:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC123 View Post
The first few pictures I took were a little disappointing, but once I practiced for a few hours I started getting much better results.
I am curious, what about the camera disappointed you at first and how were you able to "practice" to improve the photos?

That statement worries me a little because I bought the camera mainly due to the fact of wanting a simple Point and Shoot camera with excellent pictures while still having features and enough manual controls for when the situations arise.

Honestly, my wife and I know very little about photography or even how to fully utilize a digital camera, but I am willing to learn and read through the manual.

I ordered the camera from Amazon and it has not even been delivered yet. Should be here in a day or two. I ordered from Amazon due to their generous return policy which would allow me to "try before keeping" the camera.

Thanks for your help with this!
Old May 5, 2010, 8:29 AM   #9

SirDomino-

What attracted me to the Sony HX-5 were the new features like Hand Sweep Panorama, the Twilight Mode etc. There are lots of learning opportunities right here on this website and around the net. With a nice camera you should strive to learn more so you can take advantage of of all the features on the SX-210.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 5, 2010 at 9:28 AM.
Old May 5, 2010, 8:31 AM   #10

Here is some samples another member posted with the sx210.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...le-photos.html