Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 4, 2010, 6:14 PM   #1

Default Compact Super Zoom (let's say 8x+) w/ RAW?

I'm sensing this is a very short list. Any suggestions? Was hovering over the Pan Zs3 but found this feature lacking. Checked a few more alternatives and no dice. thankss
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2010, 7:39 PM   #2

monroe-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The only compacts that I know of that provide RAW files are the Panasonic LX3, the Canon G-11, and the Samsung TL-500/EX-1 cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 2:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the confirmation of what I was seeing as limited RAW support in these compacts.

With that said, now dealing with a broader choice of superzoom compact. Beyond acceptable PQ, perhaps my biggest concern and requirement is durability in the field. To those that have used these for any amount of time, which models have you found live well riding in shirt/jacket pockets during mild to moderate 'in field' (literally) conditions. My use will be as a field camera during hiking and hunting trips. Ride in the pocket, out for use, then back in the pocket. Not rough and tumble oilfield work (we use the Pentax' Wxx series for that work), but certainly a degree of dusty conditions at times, with the odd bump. All of the compact superzooms that I've looked at seem very durable . . . . predominately metal bodies, most parts (excluding battery doors), reasonably o.k. But I'm wondering what longer term use may reveal.

For years I used a Yashica T4 in field. Despite not being weatherproof, incredibly durable. Hoping that to some degree these non-waterproof/weatherproof models offer something approaching that.

thanks for any and all
Old May 6, 2010, 2:14 PM   #4

Monroe-

The Panasonic TZ-series cameras, that in the last 2 years changed their name to the ZS series have the longest "in use" history record. In addition Panasonic just recently received an award for camera dependability. The TZ/ZS cameras are not waterproof, but the have a full metal casing, excepting, as you mentioned memory card/battery doors.

What budget have you allowed for your new camera, and what kind of photos are you now taking, or want to take in the future??

Sarah Joyce
Old May 6, 2010, 2:23 PM   #5

Budget not a concern. More so a compact zoom that will handle the use well enough. When I'm game for taking a bit more care, I bring an FZ35 with me. Ideal unit, but requires more care than I want to allow during most of my activities (I do scramble about in thick bushes, ravines . . . to say nothing of having a rifle with binos on hand at times). Using for predominately quick shots of wildlife. Not the uber-SLR quality top spec zoom . . . again, that would be too much care involved with the hardware getting in the way. But to get something more than just a limited zoom snap. Along with that, the odd wide angle vista or some odd geological/eco feature as I run across them. These compact zooms are ideal for this. Max size/weight that I've handled with a degree of ease (that I want to better for those parameters and the limited zoom) would be an older Oly C-5060WA that I had used in the past.
Old May 6, 2010, 2:43 PM   #6

Monroe-

The Panasonic ZS1 offers 10mp, 12X optical zoom plus normal video. I just posted some ZS1 photo samples in the Comparison of Compact Zoom Cameras. The ZS1 is on sale at Amazon (www.amazon.com) and J & R (www.jr.com) at $179.00. It is a durable and well proven camera that could possibly meet your personal needs.

Sarah Joyce