Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 5, 2010, 12:55 AM   #1

Default Camera for baby photos

Hi,

I'm about to become a first-time mom in a couple of weeks, and i'm looking to buy a camera to take professional quality shots of my new baby. I think most of the shots will be taken indoors at home, and sometimes in the garden or park.

I have only used a point and shoot until now, but am keen to learn to use a DSLR if it means significantly better quality photos. Who knows, i might even take up photography as a serious hobby!

So, i will need a camera that can take great quality photos in low light, autofocus for stills and video, image stabilization, and is fairly compact for occasional outings. I guess there may be other important features that i might need, and i would appreciate any useful tips in this regard.

I've been trying to decide between the Canon Powershot S90, Olympus E-PL1 and Pentax K-x, but am open to other suggestions which may be more suitable to my needs.

Thank you.
Evonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2010, 1:07 AM   #2

Welcome and congrats on the baby.

The m4/3 and dslr options will be the best in image quality. I shoot but the epl-1 and pentax k-x. And for regular indoor shots, both will do a very nice job, as both have no issues shooting at 1600iso.

Between these 2 camera it comes down to size. The EPL-1 is a allot easier camera to carry around with. That is why my wife always brings it with her for her travels. And it take excellent photos.

The K-x is the better low light camera when the lighting drops down allot. As I really enjoy very low light photography, this would be an excellent camera.

Both the epl-1 and k-x takes hd video the s90 does not. Though it is an excellent point and shot for low light. But as you want video, you will need to rule out the s90.

Here are some examples of the epl1 first and the k-x second. Both had a longer zoom lens, the epl-1 had the panasonic 45-200mm on it, and the k-z had the 55-300mm. Both excellent lenses.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...-watching.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...birds-nyc.html

Last edited by shoturtle; May 5, 2010 at 1:43 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 1:19 AM   #3

It is a good idea to take some classes if you have the time. You may want to check steve's knowledge center as well. And if you want to see if dslr shooting is something you really want to get into. You can check out www.dslrtips.com they have youtube video workshops on dslr shooting.

But be warn, once you get into photography as a hobby, you pick up LBA fast aka Lenses Buying Addiction. If you get the pentax, you will want the FA 50mm 1.4 lens, if you get the epl-1 you will want to add the panasonic 20mm 1.7. And so on.

But it is the best way to capture those value memories in life.
Old May 5, 2010, 1:45 AM   #4

If you have the time and seriously considering the epl-1. You may want to ready my impression thread of the epl-1 going form having it when it first came out to the latest firmware update. Warning it is a bit long.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...mpression.html