Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 6, 2010, 1:09 PM   #1

Default Just bought a Sony DSC-H20 ... Need a wider angled lens.

Well, I recently got inspired to pick up creative photography; you know, motion shots, landscapes, macro shots of insects/small objects etc.

I understood the H20 didn't have the widest of lenses, but I didn't think it would be a big deal since I "read" it could use add on lenses to achieve a different focal length.

Take the below shot for instance ... I don't know if the H20 can achieve this sort of wide angle due to it's rather narrow 38mm lens. If it can't, I don't mind buying an add on lens to compensate (can anyone recommend one)

Also, how does the add on lens affect the overall focal length of the camera ... I know the H20 is 38mm by default ... So an add on lens will effectively shorten this focal length to achieve a wider angle? I'm confused

I'm a beginner, and I wanted a camera with a manual mode so I could understand (through practice and tinkering with settings) the physics behind photography. I thought the H20 was a good starting camera.
akin_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2010, 1:24 PM   #2

Well . That's a spectacular photo. Even more if it's one of your first picks. Congratulations.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 1:33 PM   #3

Oh but I didn't take that shot, I'm a beginner that hopes to be able to take shots like that one day.

I'm wondering whether there's an add on lens that can give my H20 a wider angle like that (looking for recommendations).

Moreover, I would like to know how the new/resultant focal length is calculated. I mean, if I attach a lens to cameras of differing focal lengths ... They won't end up with the same shortened focal length will they? How does a photographer know the resultant focal length his or her camera has with an add on lens?

Thanks.
Old May 6, 2010, 1:37 PM   #4

akin-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Yes, using an accessory lens will effectively alter the H-20's focal length, allowing for a wider viewpoint.

Your posted photo is quite impressive. Well done.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 1:44 PM   #5

The Sony VCL-DH0758 is a 0.7X conversion lens for the Sony H20. The lens in the H20 has a focal length of from 6.3 mm to 63 mm which gives an angle of view of from 59 to 6.5 (an angle of view equivalent to a 38 mm to 380 mm lens on a 35mm film camera.) The VCL-DH0758 changes the focal length to from 4.4 mm to 44 mm, which gives an angle of view of from 80.5 to 9.2 (an angle of view equivalent to a 26.6 mm to 266 mm lens on a 35mm film camera.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 1:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
akin-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Yes, using an accessory lens will effectively alter the H-20's focal length, allowing for a wider viewpoint.

Your posted photo is quite impressive. Well done.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks, I've been stalking this forum for a while now before making my decision, great crowd

But like I said, I didn't take that shot, I was comparing the angle in that shot to that which the H20 offers.

Sarah, say I would like to achieve a much shorter focal length (around 18-24mm) ... Which lens would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Sony VCL-DH0758 is a 0.7X conversion lens for the Sony H20. The lens in the H20 has a focal length of from 6.3 mm to 63 mm which gives an angle of view of from 59 to 6.5 (an angle of view equivalent to a 38 mm to 380 mm lens on a 35mm film camera.) The VCL-DH0758 changes the focal length to from 4.4 mm to 44 mm, which gives an angle of view of from 80.5 to 9.2 (an angle of view equivalent to a 26.6 mm to 266 mm lens on a 35mm film camera.)
Thank you for the explanation! I understand how it's calculated now. Seems I'm going to be on this forum a while ... I could learn a lot.

Last edited by akin_t; May 6, 2010 at 1:48 PM.
Old May 6, 2010, 3:54 PM   #7

Hey again,

Sorry for bumping my own thread, but I feel it's better than making a new one.

Let's say I want to be able to capture some serious perspective, would it be advisable to go for a Fisheye lens and then do some Rectilinear correction in Photoshop? .... I feel this way I can get a much wider angle in my shots.

None of the regular lenses I'm looking can correct the narrow angle of the H20 enough ... I mean I would need something like a 0.3x correction factor.

I really don't know what lens to buy ... It's an interesting thing and I'm already regretting buying a camera with such a narrow angle.

What's a good resource for lenses in general? Do you guys just know all this stuff from experience or what?
Old May 6, 2010, 4:15 PM   #8

akin-

The lenses discussed are Sony supplied accessory lenses that give you an effective 28mm view. In doing so, there is absolutely minimal distortion of the image available for recording. You can view the lenses at www.sonystyle.com.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 4:45 PM   #9

While shooting with a fisheye and applying rectilinear correction in post processing will give you the wide angle of view you seem to want, the process will greatly reduce the sharpness of images in the edges and corners.

It seems to me that what you want to do would be best accomplished with a DSLR and an expensive ultra wide angle lens.

Are you sure you can't get what you want from an 80 angle of view?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 1:30 AM   #10

Well I'm not sure ... I'll give that lens a shot.

I just get discouraged when I see some really nice shots and learn that they were done with a much wider angled lens, makes me feel like that level of perspective will be impossible to achieve with such a lens.

I'm still a beginner though, so there's no rush ... If I need to upgrade to a dSLR, I eventually will.

Thanks guys, this forum is great.

Edit: I'll probably end up with both ... Just need to make sure that those lens are compatible with future cameras I buy.

Last edited by akin_t; May 7, 2010 at 1:35 AM.