Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 6, 2010, 12:44 PM   #1

Default High MP Fixed Focus Camera

I don't take very many pictures so editing each picture is not a problem. I do sometimes take pictures of my dogs who don't stand still and other times I take pictures of very small things like electrical connectors.

I've never had much luck with zooming for the dogs or getting the small part in focus (even in macro mode).

I'm wondering if there are any high megapixel fixed focus cameras. That way I can just take the shot and then zoom and crop with my photo editing software. I will not make large prints, in fact I doubt I will print them at all.

Are there any such cameras out there?
tmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2010, 1:37 PM   #2

tmort-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted you dropped by.

Using a fixed focus lens, and then enlarging your image using your photo editing software, would result in a substantial loss of image quality. You would obtain better image quality using a zoom camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 4:43 PM   #3

That's why I inquired about the availability of a high megapixel fixed focus.

The dogs aren't suited to a zoom as they move and the small electrical connectors are so small I think they fool the autofocus feature.

I read about something along this line that someone was working on that had 8 or so fixed focus lenses each set to a different distance. You would take a picture with all 8 with each shot and then you would use a special photo editing package to focus and set depth of field, etc with the software. It wouldn't be very convenient if you were taking hundreds of shots on vacation, but, would be great if you were only taking a few.

I only take a few and for the degree of enlargement I would do, if I could get a fixed focus with a lot of megapixels it should give me serviceable pictures for my purposes. It should also be small and cheap if there is such a thing.
Old May 6, 2010, 6:41 PM   #4

tmort-

I know of no such hardware and/or software. I will however research the topic and report back to you.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 6, 2010, 8:03 PM   #5

DSLR with a prime lens it the closest thing I can think of. With you zoom photos you are not happy with. What type of camera were you using?
Old May 6, 2010, 8:11 PM   #6

tmort-

OK, here is what I found out: On May 19, 2004 Hitachi announced a 4mp fixed focus camera called the Hitachi HDC-401 with much fan fare.

Here is the news report on that announcement.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 6, 2010, 8:16 PM   #7

tmort-

Now here is an actual photo of the camera in 2004. As I mentioned it was a 4mp camera, and it did not find a viable market. The result was that the camera soon disappeared. By 2005, five years ago, there was no further mention of or any Hitachi HDC-401's offered for sale.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 6, 2010, 11:48 PM   #8

Here's a link to the prototype multiple lens camera I read about - http://gizmodo.com/308659/adobe-tinkering-with-3d-image-manipulation-using-camera-and-software-[updated-with-video]
This was several years ago and don't suppose is out yet and would be very expensive

I also found a high MP Chinese camera - http://www.teptronics.com/i602dc5.ht...hannelid=FROOG
Never heard of this brand and it looks like the 12 MP is through interpolation. This sounds like it would not really have the full 12 MP of resolution
Old May 7, 2010, 7:52 AM   #9

hi!

wouldn't the easiest for the user to just go out and buy like a Sony ericsson Aino or similar with 5-8 mpix cams. Aren't they fixed focused??

/Michael
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 8:52 AM   #10

tmort-

However in all fairness, based on your initial post, all I had to go on "was high mp camera with a fixed focus lens" There was no mention of Adobe's experiments and multi lenses.

Cameras qith a much lower base mp count that is upgraded through interpolation has been around for years. Fuji, 4 and 5 years ago was the most well known practitioner of that "dark art." So all in all, I think I did rather well with your not well described and thinly veiled test.

Sarah Joyce