Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2010, 5:14 PM   #11

The T1i with the iso at 6400 will help out allot with indoor low light action shots. Match that with a 85mm 1.8 or 100mm 2.0 and it makes a really good package for indoor low light. I use the 85mm 1.8 for swing dancing shots, and bump my iso to 6400 in clubs and it does a decent job. When it can not get a great shot, then an external flash is your only other option.

But we have just push your budget a bit, t1i with kit lens 750 dollars. 85mm 1.8 380 dollars. You will find at times the wide angle of the kit lens is worth the little extra you spend. And also the 85mm 1.8 is a good facial portrait lens.
Old May 7, 2010, 5:23 PM   #12

Also with the k-x, you can get it with a 2 lens kit for 680 dollars, and the kit lenses are quite good for outdoor action. The AF system is not as good as the T1i, but it will do a good job. I used the 55-300mm kit lens to capture some photos of Birds in Flight. Very fast moving animals. And the K-x did a respectable job. These lens are good for action outdoors in daylight.

For the indoor action option. Currently you have the only 2 lens options. The pentax fa 50mm 1.4 and the sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM. Both will give be fast enough for indoor action, but you will not be able to zoom in as tight as a 85mm or 100mm. But sigma is suppose to be coming out with a 85mm 1.4 this year.

So if you can live with a little less range, you get a very good 2 lens kit, and great low light camera. For 680 dollars, and you can add the pentax FA 50mm 1.4 for 350. The 50mm 1.4 match with the pentaxs high iso ability will work for indoor action quite well. And you have something that will meet a majority of your need and still be around 1000 dollars.

If you do get into sports photog more, you can add a sigma 70-200mm 2.8 down the line. It is about 800 dollars for the lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 7, 2010 at 5:29 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 5:28 PM   #13

Here is a sample of a bird in flight. It was moving quite fast, and the pentax kit lens were able to track and capture the shot. PS, I shoot a T1i normally.
Attached Images

Old May 7, 2010, 6:12 PM   #14

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

I have a question that still has not been answered.
I don't live in the US- so prices aren't the same here. I can buy the lens kit for 700$ with a 4 year independent lab warranty, or buy the same kit at 950$ with original 3 year canon warranty(Except for the sensor which has 1 year). I don't have the luxury of 750$ canon warranty.

250$ is a great deal for me, about 25% of my budget, so I really need some advice by experienced DSLR users, what are the odds I encounter problems, and simply- what deal should I take?
Ishay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 7:42 PM   #15

That's tough. My preference would be for the manufacturer's warranty, but $250 is a lot of money. If something fails and the warranty company gives you a hard time, that $250 could go a long way toward buying another camera from someone else. I'd probably take the $700 deal.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 10:24 AM   #16

Thank you for your opinion.

I'd like to hear a second opinion on the warranty issue if possible as this a a very big deal for me.

And another question, although quite off topic:

What differs the Tamron 70-300 from the sigma 70-300 from the canon 75-300? (I'm not talking expensive models here, just the basics outdoor sport lenses, in terms of IQ, focusing speed, etc...)
Ishay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 11:48 AM   #17

They all are relatively slow to focus. The Tamron Di LD and the Sigma APO are better than the Canon III, and the Tamron is usually less expensive than the Sigma.
Old May 8, 2010, 12:07 PM   #18

The tamron is also the sharpest of the three. Again, none will do a great job of sports shooting because of the slow focus but sacrifices have to be made so the tamron is the best of 3 poor choices.

The K-x someone else mentioned is a great camera - definitely a top entry level camera. But the pentax system as a whole is still quite a bit behind canon and nikon in sports shooting. When buying a dslr you have to think past your initial purchase. When you're ready to upgrade lenses and bodies over the next decade you don't have that many options as far as sports is concerned. One of the biggest areas pentax lags behind is they do not have predictive auto focus. When a subject moves towards you, they change focal planes. Canon and Nikon use predictive focus algorithms to calculate where a subject will be so they're not just continuously re-focusing they're getting a jump on things and focusing where the subject WILL be. It's a relative thing though. You don't notice the differences unless you do a lot of that type of shooting. If sports was an occasional thing then the KX would be a fine choice. As it's one of your primary interests, pentax still isn't a great option.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 1:10 PM   #19

BTW, Tamron also has a 75-300 LD (Non-Di) and Sigma has a 70-300 DG (non-APO). These should be avoided, along with the Canon III.
Old May 8, 2010, 1:16 PM   #20

The pentax K-x AF has gotten a bit better form old Pentax models, but do still trail canon in the entry market, but not the nikon d5000. When I took this shot, my friend was next to me with a d5000, and his shot did not come into focus like mine.
Attached Images