Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2010, 10:46 AM   #1

Default HS-10 or FZ-35

This is my second time posting to this forum. I initially asked about choosing between a micro 4/3 and DSLR.

At this point I have decided that considering my budget, and the type and volume of photography that I do, I would be probably adequately served by a bridge camera. (Although all things being equal, I would still prefer a K-X with a travel lens, like a Tamron 17-250).

I had more or less decided on a Panasonic FZ-35 as a good all-round compromise, when I started seeing photographs posted by Fuji HS-10 users. The Fuji pics seem to have better colour and more detail. I realize the Fuji is more temperamental, has has firmware glitches, and has a learning curve with regard to menus and manual controls, but these are not barriers to me.

So now I am stuck in indecision. Fuji or Panny? Image quality is the most important thing for me. The length of the zoom is not that important.
Ajka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2010, 11:27 AM   #2

ajka-

Welcome back to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The folks that are posting the best sample photos from the Fuji HS-10 are experienced photographers. The HS-10 is a fairly complex camera and some adapting is really required to get the most from the HS-10 camera.

In contrast, the Panasonic FZ-35 or the Sony HX-1 are much more user friendly and easy to work with when taking your photos. So a lot depends on your experience level and your desire to really get in there and work hard, as would be required by the HS-10.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 3:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Sarah. I think I would be comfortable with the complexity of the HS-10, so that won't be the decision point for me. What I like about the FZ-35 is the smaller size. What I like about the Fuji is the apparently better IQ.
Old May 10, 2010, 1:10 PM   #4

The Hs10 is a great camera. I really like it. It has an auto setting and makes great pics. It is not a DLSR, but it is an awesome camera. The best super zoom overall in my humble opinion.
vsanzbajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 1:36 PM   #5

The HS-10's difficulty in use is overstated IF you have any background using cameras in a mode other than Auto or Program priority. Indeed, they are no more difficult to use than the FZ-35. That said, if you tend to want a camera that will be used more in Auto than in, say, PASM... than, the FZ-35 is your baby.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 2:44 PM   #6

I would also suggest you to take a used Fusji s100fs in consideration (it' s not produced any more and it is difficult to find a new one, though not impossible).
On my web site in construction http://www.milanofotografo.it I am collecting some pictures made by myself with that camera. I think the image quality is very high, considering that it is a small sensor camera. By clicking on the picture on the pages with the exif info you can download the full resolution pictures.
I must add that you have to shoot raw, because by shooting jpg the image quality is significantly lower.
The only problem is the cromatic aberation, which can be canceled for the most part in postprocessing.
From what I have seen and read on the web the s100fs is probably the best small sensor camera ever produced. And unfortunately it is possible that because of comercial reasons there won' t be better ones.
e.engelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 4:57 PM   #7

Thank you all for your input.
Old May 10, 2010, 5:30 PM   #8

Ajka-

I think the Fuji HS-10 is a "go" for you. Have fun and enjoy it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote