Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2010, 6:47 PM   #1

Default S90 , sx210, sx200 ???

Hello! I can not decide between the Canon S90, SX210, and the SX200.....could someone please help!? I would like the zooming features of the SX camera's, but the smaller apertures of the S90.
Also, maybe the Lumix Z57 would be better? And why does everyone seem to favor the Sony Hsc or whatever it is? It doesn't have manual controls for apertures, correct? I like somewhat of a blur to the background....at least as much as is allowed with a compact!

Is fuji f70 any good?
careyjr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2010, 9:22 PM   #2

Careyjr-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Generally speaking the Canon S-90 is usually considered with the G-11 model because they both use the same imager. These two cameras represent the supper end of the Canon P+S line.

Most folks pass over the SX-200 now due to its 2 big faults: the flash that keeps popping up no matter if its need or not and the the inability of the SX-200 to use the zoom when filming HD video.

The SX-210 has received fair professional reviews due to its less than stellar image quality at the long end of the zoom. As users have adapted to the SX-210, image quality has improved but the dim aperture (F 5.9) at the long end of the zoom requires a lot of good light. The SX-210 does quite well in terms of low ISO photos. However, when the ISO goes above ISO 400, noise becomes substantial.

The Sony HX-5 has had about the same user response as the Canon SX-210. However the attraction of it special modes: the Hand Sweep Panorama, the Twilight Mode, and a HDR mode has pushed it popularity upward.

By a wide margin, the ZS6 and ZS7 have come to gain the best user acceptance, based on improved OIS, an upgraded LCD, and a proven HD video system with stereo sound.

The Fuji F-70 EXR is not for anyone who does not want to make a whole lot of manual adjustments to the camera to get the best 5mp photos out of the F-70EXR. One user calls his F-70EXR a study in intensive micro management.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 2:47 AM   #3

Default thank you...

Thank you for that very useful and to the point information! I read through so much stuff that I just get confused by the end! In my town, none of these cameras are available, so I have to choose just off the internet! When I finally decide, I'll let you know and post some pic's! Might even go with the DMC FZ35 or the EVOLT 420, (just because it's the smallest DSLR). I really don't want something as big as the last two, but we'll see!
careyjr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 11:22 AM   #4

careyjr-

The Olympus E-600 or E-620 would be a much better choice than the E-420 because the E-420 does not have in body Image Stabilization. The E-420, E-600, and E-620 are all very much the same size with a fraction of an inch.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 2:39 PM   #5

I have bought the Canon Powershot S 90 as a P&S camera. The pictures are very good, but the little wheel in the backside of the camera which controls the exposure compensation is all too loose som it rotates without me being aware of it.
Labbegutt is offline   Reply With Quote