Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2010, 6:11 PM   #1

Default Super-zoom with flash hotshoe?

I'm looking to buy a super-zoom camera (for wildlife photography), but I'd really like to use the same camera for amateur wedding photography (as well as photographing my family). I've had a lot of frustration recently with fixed-flash (washing out the image in closeups, not reaching far enough), so I'm really wanting to go all-out with flash control, with an external unit.

So far the only super-zoom I know of with a flash hotshoe is the Canon SX20 IS, but I've heard a lot of negatives about its image quality. Rumor has it that Canon will be releasing its successor around August with a newly re-designed CMOS sensor. Anybody know anything about that? Or any other super-zoom models with full manual controls and a flash hotshoe?
jWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2010, 6:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWest View Post
I'm looking to buy a super-zoom camera (for wildlife photography), but I'd really like to use the same camera for amateur wedding photography (as well as photographing my family). I've had a lot of frustration recently with fixed-flash (washing out the image in closeups, not reaching far enough), so I'm really wanting to go all-out with flash control, with an external unit.

So far the only super-zoom I know of with a flash hotshoe is the Canon SX20 IS, but I've heard a lot of negatives about its image quality. Rumor has it that Canon will be releasing its successor around August with a newly re-designed CMOS sensor. Anybody know anything about that? Or any other super-zoom models with full manual controls and a flash hotshoe?
Fujifilm HS-10
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 8:09 PM   #3

jWest-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

A super zoom camera is not the usual camera for wedding photos. Currently Canon has the S-5, SX-10, and SX-20 all equipped with a dedicated hotshoe that can accommodate any of the Canon EX-Series Flashes and has full TTL control.

No offense to Gary who suggested the Fuji HS-10. However, the HS-10 uses a generic, very basic hot shoe that requires manual flash and manual flash operations.

Yes, Canon is actually over due on introducing a SX-10 replacement camera. There is a lot of speculation that it will be a CMOS imager based camera. However, no firm introduction date has been announced and it remains very much a cat in a bag situation.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 8:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
jWest-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

A super zoom camera is not the usual camera for wedding photos Currently Canon has the S-5, SX-10, and SX-20 all equipped with a dedicated hotshoe that can accommodate any of the Canon EX-Series Flashes and has full TTL control.

No offense to Gary who suggested the Fuji HS-10. However, the HS-10 uses a generic, very basic hot shoe that requires manual flash and manual flash operations.

Yes, Canon is actually over due on introducing a SX-10 replacement camera. There is a lot of speculation that it will be a CMOS imager based camera. However, no firm introduction date has been announced and it remains very much a cat in a bag situation.

Sarah Joyce
None taken, Sarah. But, the OP didn't specify he wanted anything but. All he said was he wanted a superzoom with a hotshoe.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 9:42 PM   #5

Gary-

Your statement is 100% true. However, the Canon camera are equipped to provide TTL features, therefore we have to describe how the hot shoe on the HS-10 works. The HS-10 is an excellent camera, I just wish that Fuji had given the HS-10 a smarter hot shoe.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 3:12 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWest View Post
..........but I'd really like to use the same camera for amateur wedding photography (as well as photographing my family).
I think this is a very important part to go back to. When you say amateur wedding photography, is there a specific wedding you have, or are you looking at shooting quite a few and for what purpose? The normal wedding environment is pretty hard on a camera so some additional information on your desires would help to see if you will be disappointed with anything apart from a dSLR with the right lenses/flash etc.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
A super zoom camera is not the usual camera for wedding photos.
Lol! I was aware of that, but my budget is really tight, so I right now I have to have an all-around do-all camera, and the superzoom is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber
Ah, thanks! Somebody please let the cat out of the bag - poor kitty must be awfully lonely in there all by himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber
Your statement is 100% true. However, the Canon camera are equipped to provide TTL features, therefore we have to describe how the hot shoe on the HS-10 works. The HS-10 is an excellent camera, I just wish that Fuji had given the HS-10 a smarter hot shoe.
Yeah, I do best at candid shots, so I usually only have seconds to fiddle with settings - full manual not an option then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616
When you say amateur wedding photography, is there a specific wedding you have, or are you looking at shooting quite a few and for what purpose?
Yes, I have a specific wedding in mind - my sister's getting married in March next year. However, I have a good friend that does wedding photography, and he's offered to take me as an assistant on some of his shoots to help me learn the tricks of wedding photography.

I am aware that to dive into wedding photography, I will need a good dSLR, but as I mentioned, I'm on a very tight budget ($500 total - including accessories), so I don't think I can go there yet.

Thanks for your helpful replies, everyone! I'm leaning on the side of waiting for the next SX10 successor.
jWest is offline   Reply With Quote