Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 8, 2010, 9:27 AM   #1

Default Panasonic ZS5 or Nikon S8000?

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between these two cameras. Which one would give me better image quality indoors, the Panasonic or the Nikon? Both are on sale today at Best Buy.

I noticed on the White Balance the Panasonic does not have a setting for incandescent lighting, but the Nikon does. Will that make a difference in the image quality I get taking indoor shots? The Nikon seems like it has a larger flash on its cam compared to the Panasonic. I know the Panasonic has a 12X optical zoom vs. the Nikon's 10X zoom. Also, which has the better wide angle zoom?

I welcome all your comments and suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Andrea
Ladyblue627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2010, 9:42 AM   #2

Andrea-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Between the Panasonic ZS5 and the Nikon S-8000, the ZS5 is clearly the leader in functionality, image quality, and ease of use. While the ZS5 and the S-8000 are indeed similar the Zs5 like the ZS1 before it wins in the image quality department by a wide margin. The Panasonic ZS7 and the ZS5 stand in the forefront of the compact zoom camera category, just as the ZS3 and Zs1 did last year. You could save a bit by selecting the ZS1 model, which is still available for $179 at Amazon.

I have attached the summary paragraph from Photography Blog's professional review of the Nikon S-8000 below.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; May 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 9:03 PM   #3

Sarah Joyce,

Thank you so much for your great advice. I bought the Panasonic ZS5 last evening, and it is a fantastic camera so far. So many options, the image quality is very good at what I've taken so far. Haven't done any low light yet but pix taken in ordinary room light this morning turned out well. I printed out the user manual and it'll take me forever to get through it but I'm basically trying to get to know what all the symbols mean on the display and stuff like that.

Thanks again
Andrea
Ladyblue627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 10:07 PM   #4

Congratulations, Andrea-

Enjoy your new ZS5. You got a great camera. Post some photos when you have a chance.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote