Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 8, 2010, 4:04 PM   #1

Default Help, don't know what camera to choose!!

Hey..

I am new in the camera world. I am going to Australia for 6 months and need a camera to capture my memories and give me some good pictures. I am looking at a compact camera because it wont be to heavy and I would be using auto most of the time.

I have been looking at Canon powershot SX210is, Sony cybershot DSC-HX5V and Panasonic Lumix TZ10 but I find it very hard to choose.

I would like to have a camera that takes good pictures, that kan zoom without it effects the quality of the picture and can take pictures in the night with good quality.
It shall be fast on focusing and taking the picture. I dont know if it calls wideangel, but I would like to stand at one position and be able to "zoom out" so I can capture the whole landscape.
It is also important that the pictures are bright and clear.

I don't know much about all the functions so I hope someone can help me, I have been reading many reviews but still thinks it is hard to choose. Right now I prefere Sony, then Panasonic and then Canon. That is because of the video quality and the sweep panorama function Sony have and also a bit because of the GPS function, think it is a funny function.

Thanks a lot

Tina
dalager9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2010, 5:47 PM   #2

Tina -

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The Sony HX5 would be a very good choice. The Hand Sweep Panorama is very popular. However, its price is running at around $340.00. If you wanted to save some money the Panasonic ZS1 (which had a great 25mm wide angle lens position) is on sale at Amazon for around $180.00.

I shoot with a ZS1 and have been very pleased with it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 6:49 PM   #3

Tina,

I have the Canon and I really like it, but it does not have GPS or the Sweep Panorama feature you wanted. I haven't made any videos with it, so I do not know how they turn out.

When I visited Australia (several years ago) I had a 2 MP Kodak and got many great pictures, so I am sure you will be able to get plenty of good ones no matter which camera you choose. If possible, go to a store and check them out in person - that way you can see the size/weight of the camera, how easy they are to turn on and use, etc.

One thing I do suggest, is that if you buy a camera with a rechargable battery, be sure to buy a plug adapter for the charger. Electrical outlets are different in different countries. Most of the chargers I have seen can run on the voltage and frequency of Australian outlets, but if they are not already made for an Australian outlet there is an adapter you need to put on the plug so the prongs will fit. It would proabably be cheaper to buy a small adapter for the plug than to buy a whole different charger.

Have fun on your trip! Australia is a beautiful country!
JAC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 6:54 PM   #4

JAC-

That is excellent hands on experience.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 5:18 AM   #5

Thanks a lot for the advices.

I think I will try then all three in a shop, to see which one I like the best in reel life, but Sony is right now my favourite..

And JAC - thanks for the advice about an adapter..
dalager9 is offline   Reply With Quote