Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2010, 2:00 AM   #1

Default need a travel zoom!

hi, im in the market for a travel zoom and i found this site to be v helpful. i just want a point and shoot that takes great outdoor, indoor and low light pictures in Auto (i dont know much about manual settings) and also HD video (zoom while recording video). if it has other goodies like good zoom, panorama and GPS etc. that'll be nice. i started to surf for H55 at first but found HX5V to be a better camera in low light and when i read reviews of HX5V i read about Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7, Canon Powershot SX210IS and other competitors which left me confused and indecisive . which one do you guys think would be better for me, thanks.
jake13942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2010, 2:15 AM   #2

Low light is something that none of these camera are really good at, for good low light you will need to look at something like the canon s90, but is has a short zoom and no hd.

From the sample photos the HX5V does well upto 800 iso, and can push it to 1600, but will require some noise reduction software. There are starting to have more sample of both the sx210 and zs7. They both seem to be about the same as the sony in low light. Both the sony and panasonic has gps. But all that does is wear down you batteries quicker.

You really can not go wrong with any of the three. They are all about the same price. Sony you get a cmos sensor, giving it a bit better HD over the CDD used by Panasonic and Canon. The sony 10fps burst mode is not as great as it sound, as it will tie up you camera for about 14 sec after that 1 sec burst.

The canon will give you the most reach follow by the zs7, then the sony. They all have decently wide angle on the short end of the zoom at 25-28mm.

If HD is important the sony had the edge. But each has a little something going for them. Canon will give you the most reach.
Old May 9, 2010, 4:58 AM   #3

thanks for the quick reply, thats what drew me to this site. GPS is not that important to me, and if low light is the same then which one has better outdoor image quality. does Panasonic 12MP mean more detail than Sony 10MP.
Old May 9, 2010, 6:53 AM   #4

Jake - I can't answer your other questions because I don't know these cameras but I can tell you that as far as megapixels are concerned more (in consumer cameras) usually more means less (as far as quality is concerned) once you get above around 8MP.

More is better if you plan to do a lot of close cropping but otherwise (and to greatly simplify this) the sensor can become 'overcrowded' in consumer cameras that have very small sensors in comparison to more expensive professional / semi-pro cameras, which can result in lower quality. 12MP by itself will not give you better quality pictures than 10MP, 6MP cameras can often produce as good or cleaner shots than cameras with more megapixels ! Nowadays it is used more as a marketing tool, in consumer cameras, than for any real benefit.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 11:21 AM   #5

Jake-

You have had to good replies to your initial post. The HX5, ZS7, and SX-210 are very close together in terms of ease of use. The ZS7 seems to do better outdoors and when using the 25mm wide angle. The HX5 has a little better high ISO capability and runs IMO a touch behind the ZS7 on HD video.

The SX-210 got off to a slow start, but as folks became used to the camera, we have seen better and better images. The mp count holds the SX-210 back somewhat. In terms of what else is out there in the travel zoom category there are alternative choices. The ZS3, the 10mp camera that the ZS7 replaced is still a very capable camera, although its price has increased progressively as the inventory sells out. The ZS1 was the partner to the ZS3 last year is also a hot camera abd worth looking at as well, it is selling for $179.00. So the choice is wide.

Forget the 14mp H-55. The high mp count is holding it back just like the SX-210.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 4:15 PM   #6

thanks for making it so simple guys. just ordered the HX5 and the website offered me memory cards, i want to buy 16GB of memory and SDHC rather than Pro Duo, but it has different types like class 4, 6, 10, Ultra, Extreme and some cards say for HD video. does the MB/sec matter. i will use HX5 occasionally for HD video also. i found Lexar/Transcend/AData to be cheapest. are they reliable or should i pay double for Sandisk.
Old May 9, 2010, 4:49 PM   #7

Jake-

Lexar and Transcend are good brands. I have no experience with A-Data cards. Classes like 4, 6, and 10 refer to the speed of the card. If you are shooting HD video Class 6 should work fine.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 7:41 PM   #8

Avoid A-Data, they are not that reliable. High failure rates form friends that wanted to save on a card. Also with any of these point and shots, you will not need more then a class 6 card with HD. They do not have the buffers that can benefit from a class 10 card.
Old May 18, 2010, 1:20 AM   #9

i had a Sony W220 before HX5 and compared to that i found HX5 pictures to be a little softer, is it normal or i dont have it set right. its good in low light but in outdoor the photos look like air brushed or something
Old May 18, 2010, 8:19 AM   #10

Jake I couldn't get sharp pictures out of it either...but Five-O thinks it could be user error and I am not taking that out of the equation...but the ZS7 out performed it hands down in all my test except for lowlight, but I don't take a lot of low light pictures and when I start I will buy a Canon S90 or G11 for lowlight only...so don't be afraid to send it back and try another camera if it seems to steep of a learning curve cause it should be fun! Five O could give you some tips I am sure and also give you the settings he is using on his HX5...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote