Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2010, 1:06 PM   #1

Default Advice Needed for New Zoom Camera

Other than the obvious nice clear, crisp pictures, the one feature I want is nice optical zooming capability -10x minimum.

I would really really like it if it used AA or AAA batteries rather than needed to be recharged.

I want a point and shoot. I am more apt to set it on automatic than to change setting very much. I don't want something huge, but it doesn't have to be super thin or tiny either.

Other than the occasional holiday or birthday, I take mostly outdoor pictures -- not a lot of action other than pictures of my dog.

I do like a view finder rather than just an LCD screen, but since these are getting hard to find, it's not a requirement but it is a perk since screens can sometimes be hard to see outdoors.

From the reviews, it seems that a Canon SX 200 would suit me well, other than the battery.

I'm not locked into any particular brand. I don't care about color or cutesy. I don't take video so anything related to that doesn't matter.

I would prefer to stay under $200 but anything in the $100 - $300 range is fine. I can always watch for a sale!

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by gt6mk31; May 9, 2010 at 1:35 PM.
gt6mk31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2010, 4:16 PM   #2

gt6-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Take a look at the Panasonic ZS1 camera. It has 10mp 12X optical zoom is pleasantly small, but not tiny, and has a good automatic mode. Amazon has it for $179.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 7:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
gt6-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Take a look at the Panasonic ZS1 camera. It has 10mp 12X optical zoom is pleasantly small, but not tiny, and has a good automatic mode. Amazon has it for $179.00.

Sarah Joyce
Thank you. I'll do that.
gt6mk31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 2:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
...Take a look at the Panasonic ZS1 camera....
The ZS1 uses proprietary battery, not AA/AAA. I don't believe any camera out there uses AAA. They either take prop. or AA batteries. The Canon Powershot Annn series use AA but their zoom range is limited. If I'm not mistaken, the Olympus SP and Canon SX series are the only long zooms that use AA.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote