Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2010, 8:45 AM   #1

Default first dslr/$2000 budget/used to photograph kids--what to get???

i am a mom of 2 small kids ready to upgrade to the world of dslr's so i don't miss any more action!!!!
i am ready to spend about $2000 for the whole shebang... body/lenses/flash etc. i think i want to stick w/ canon for no other reason than that's what my point and shoot is.
suggestions?????? so far, i'm leaning towards a canon t1i...
thanks for your help!
vmhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2010, 9:00 AM   #2

Default tired of missing shots of my 2 year old!

so i am tired of missing shots of my speedy 2 year old.... i am starting my research here before i buy a dslr. i'm leaning towards the t1i, and pairing it w/ some nice lenses.
any suggestions? i am wanting to spend about $2000 total.
also, is there a forum/website where i can quickly and easily learn how to use the thing??!! i have no idea what f stops and aperture and shutter priority are....
looking forward to learning alot here!
Old May 10, 2010, 10:14 AM   #3

Hello, and welcome to Steves.

As a father of a 3 1/2 year old I can relate to your situation. The T1i is a very good camera. But you should understand there are going to be some issues with taking shots of an active 2 year old. Those issues will exist with ANY dslr. The issues will arise when shooting in low light levels. Any DSLR with kit lens is going to be better than what you're used to, BUT those kit lenses aren't designed for low light shooting. So there will be some issues with focusing in low light. I would suggest starting a thread - either in 'What camera should I buy' or 'General discussions'. Without doubt your $2000 is plenty to properly equip yourself.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Administrator

Hey vmhill

I've merged the two threads you started into one thread so that all of the answers will be in the same place.

Welcome to the forums.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 10:20 AM   #5

Ah, I see you've already started a thread here.
The T1i is an excellent entry level camera. As I mentioned in your other thread, I have a 3 1/2 year old, so I can relate to your experience. The T1i with kit lens is a great start. BUT, indoors you're going to run into issues. Now, some will suggest fast prime lenses and high ISOs to capture your child indoors. In my experience as a parent that advice works some times but often it does not. Often indoors there simply isn't enough light for that approach to work. The best way, in my experience, is to add an external flash. This will do 2 things -
1) It will give you a more powerful focus assist beam than the built in one that will help the camera achieve focus in darker conditions.
2) it will enable you to add more light and bounce that light off the ceiling so it looks more natural and red-eye is completely eliminated.
Now, an additional fast prime (like the 50mm 1.8 or 85mm 1.8) will enable you to get available light shots when there is enough light and will also allow you to do some shallow depth-of-field shots of your child.

So, some kit advice would be:
T1i with kit lens
Canon 430exII flash
Canon 55-250 lens for outdoors

Work with those for a while, then down the road you can add a 50mm 1.8 or 85mm 1.8 lens for available light / shallow DOF work.
Old May 10, 2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Super Moderator

ah well, i guess me and jim were managing the threads at the same time. and i had a response typed up.

but basically i said what John said. get a t1i/t2i with 430ex and some lenses that meet your needs.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 10:23 AM   #7

As to learning it all - Canon has some on line learning material in their EOS Learning Center website. But I find books to be extremely useful as you can take a book with you. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a very common and good introductory book. Manuals don't tend to be that great at teaching the WHY. They are good at what they are intended for - teaching you how to operate the controls. They just don't do a good job of teaching you WHY you should do a certain thing.
Old May 10, 2010, 4:11 PM   #8

I would forego the 50mm 1.8 if you were going to go with a 50mm with your budget, though it is bright it is slow to focus in low light, the EF 50mm 1.4 USM focus faster and will keep up with your kids allot better the the 50mm 1.8 in the low light environment.

The 430EXII is a excellent flash, but if you are looking to save a little, the metz 48 af-1 works just as well on the T1i and cost a bit less. The Nissin Di622 is really nice also and works well. I recently decide to try it out at a camera shop. And for a 170 flash it is really nice also. Not as powerful as the metz but very good. Any of the these 3 flashes will work well on the T1i.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 10, 2010 at 8:12 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 8:06 PM   #9

Default shopping list...

50mm f/1.8 lens
a tele in the 70-200mm range
Speedlite 430EX II
Canon 55-250 lens
50mm 1.8 or 85mm

i found a kit for $1179 at best buy that has:
the t1i w/ kit lens, the speedlite 430exII, a 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 III zoom lens, along w/ a bag.
is that a good deal?
then i could buy the 50mm f/1.8 separately...

thank you guys so much for your help! this is an awesome site!
valerie

Old May 10, 2010, 8:09 PM   #10

do not get that kit the 75-300mm is not a very good lens. It is a real dog, though it focus faster then the 55-250mm it is not as sharp or have as little distortion.

The 70-200 2.8 is a 1400 dollar lens without IS.

The 85mm 1.8 is a way better lens then the 50mm 1.8 USM I have both lenses. And the 50mm 1.4 USM. For low light shooting the 85 1.8 or 50 1.4 would be a way better option.