Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2010, 8:59 PM   #1

Default Fz35 or SP-800 or HX-1 or HX5v?? I'm confused

I'm looking for a nice high zoom camera that have good functions and video capability. I chose the Fz35 or SP-800 or HX-1 or HX5v!

For the Panasonic FZ35, I realized that many people on this forum likes it, and I heard a lot of good comments about it. It's down part is that it's going to be updated soon.

Olympus SP-800 has a bigger zoom 30x, which is good. But it doesn't have a view finder, and the operation functions looks kind of odd. I didn't hear much about it, any one has any idea about it?

The Sony ones are both good. The HX-1 is bigger, but has okay zoom and a lot of nice functions with CCMD sensor compared with other brands. I like it because I currently own a H-50, and it has been nice. But I heard its picture quality is not as good.

The last one I'm interested in is the Sony HX5V. It is more compact, and has the same fuctions as HX-1, if not more. I would like the portability of it after a H-50. And the GPS is nice, too. But still can't forget about the 18x 20x 30x zooms the other ones offers.

The prices are interesting, too. It is another part I concern about. The H-50 can go about 350, so is the HX5V. But the FZ35 ca be around 325. The SP-800 is cheaper, around 290. So I'm frustrated and confused about all these great cameras. It would be great if someone can help me out with this!
guhengs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2010, 9:07 PM   #2

Just something to think about: ALL cameras get updated or dropped from a given line sooner or later. I sure wouldn't have that as part of my search criteria.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 9:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Just something to think about: ALL cameras get updated or dropped from a given line sooner or later. I sure wouldn't have that as part of my search criteria.
Ha! That's a good idea. But the down part of FZ35 can be it's CCD censored, and doesn't have fancy functions like panorama......
Old May 10, 2010, 9:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by guhengs View Post
Ha! That's a good idea. But the down part of FZ35 can be it's CCD censored, and doesn't have fancy functions like panorama......
Have you considered the Fujifilm HS-10?
My Gallery

--
Old May 10, 2010, 9:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Have you considered the Fujifilm HS-10?
Yeah, but it's kind over my budget. Unless it's absolutely fantastic, I don't think I will go for that. But, tell me about it! How great is it?
Old May 10, 2010, 9:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by guhengs View Post
Yeah, but it's kind over my budget. Unless it's absolutely fantastic, I don't think I will go for that. But, tell me about it! How great is it?
It's the best bridge camera I've ever owned (and I've owned a LOT). It has all the features you could possibly desire and excellent IQ (if you use it properly - as with any camera). Check it out at http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig.../finepix_hs10/

Billy says Steve's is about to run a review on it.
My Gallery

--
Old May 10, 2010, 10:02 PM   #7

Default You need to decide which features are most important for you

I have a Casio FH20. It was criticized for so-so image quality overall and noisy images at ISO's over 200. However, I really like it because it is very good at taking decent pictures in super fast burst mode, up to 40 per second at 7 megapixel resolution. I use it at soccer games and baseball games and look forward to using it at some track meets. I had the FZ28, the predecessor to the FZ35. I liked it because it took pretty good pictures in a variety of settings and was easy to use. If I wanted a panorama, I took a number of shots and stitched them together with software. You might think about what features are most important for you and then reexamine your choices.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 10:09 PM   #8

Which one did you like handling the best. That is a very important item. Also camera get update pretty quickly. But that does not mean it is any less of a good camera.

If the FZ 35 fits right, and you like the photos it take, not wrong with getting it. Also you will get a discount on the price. So get the camera when you need it, there always will be something better just couple of month down the road.
Old May 10, 2010, 10:30 PM   #9

guhengs-

As Shoturtle mention handling each camera is very important. How a camera feels in hand is very important. How you hands span the controls is important as well.

I own the Sony H-50, HX5, HX-1, the Panasonic FZ-28 and FZ-35. Like Gary I like super zoom also. However, the camera I use the most is the FZ-35. Using an HX5 outdoors with only a rather reflective LCD to frame your photo is not fun. The H-50 I got first and then found the FZ-28 and FZ35 which have much better color and high ISO capabilities than the H-50.

Yes, the jazzy features on the HX-1 and the HX5 are nice but the color is not rich and it looks rather faded.The Olympus S-8000 has received very mixed user reviews, and while it is a 30X optical zoom camera, it cannot hold a candle to the high quality Fuji HS-10.

So my top choice is the FZ-35 for its great image quality, high ISO capabilities and ease of use. Weighing only 14 ounces, it is quick and fast. We have a very active FZ-35 group in our Panasonic P+S folder, where you will find lots of photo sample and photo tips.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 10, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 10:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
guhengs-

As Shoturtle mention handling each camera is very important. How a camera feels in hand is very important. How you hands span the controls is important as well.

I own the Sony H-50, HX5, HX-1, the Panasonic FZ-28 and FZ-35. Like Gary I like super zoom also. However, the camera I use the most is the FZ-35. Using an HX5 outdoors with only a rather reflective LCD to frame your photo is not fun. The H-50 I got first and then found the FZ-28 and FZ35 which have much better color and high ISO capabilities than the H-50.

Yes, the jazzy features on the HX-1 and the HX5 are nice but the color is not rich and it looks rather faded.The Olympus S-8000 has received very mixed user reviews, and while it is a 30X optical zoom camera, it cannot hold a candle to the high quality Fuji HS-10.

So my top choice is the FZ-35 for its great image quality, high ISO capabilities and ease of use. Weighing only 14 ounces, it is quick and fast. We have a very active FZ-35 group in our Panasonic P+S folder, where you will find lots of photo sample and photo tips.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the reply! so the fz-35 seems to be the best choice for picture quality? What do you think about the user friendly part of these? which one is the best of all? I like the sony control, but sometimes the waiting time drives me crazy! Is the fz-35 easier to control? Does it have more functions than the H-50? Hx-1, hx-5?