Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which camera?
Pentax k-x 4 30.77%
Fuji HS10 0 0%
Olympus E-PL1 3 23.08%
Panasonic Lumix FZ35 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11, 2010, 2:39 PM   #11

haris-

I think that things would be a good deal clearer if you established a few priorities for us to judge from when creating our replies.

Is video your #1 priority?
Where does still photography rank in priority in the long haul?
Would it be simpler if you kept a dedicated camcorder and a still camera?

Knowing that would really help us "fine tune" our answers for you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 12:45 AM   #12

Hello to everyone, i really appreciate all the explanations and help you are giving to me!

So summarising from your posts:
Photography is my #1 priority. And i was always very keen in taking photos, and now that i can afford buying a larger camera i want to learn more for photography.
I dont like to carry an extra camcorder with me, and also i dont record so long movies. Most times i record just 2-3' max when we are with friends, with fiancee, or at a really nice place to remember.

The EPL1 it's quite expensive for me for a camera that is not DSLR, that is the major drawback for me.

And thanks for the tips on the video recording size, as now it is much clearer for me. I don't think i would need on a 20 days holidays more than 20 gb of storage with any of the cameras. Of course the size of the videos would be a big plus for FZ38 for me, however with the purchase of extra memory cards somehow balances the facts for k-x. I suppose the video quality of k-x are also superior to the other cameras...

I dont want to go above the price that x-k is now, thus i would need to consider older models of Canon and Nikon.

i would need to buy the camera in the next 2 months before going to our honeymoon. And i suppose it would be better to buy it in the next month in order to play with it a bit.

HS10, although i was really excited at the beginning i surfed a bit and didn't find the most positive comments, thus i would have to take it out of the list...

Thanks for all the tips, i'll definitely read them again at least a couple of times! Of course if more tips come in they are more than welcome!

Last edited by haris_el; May 12, 2010 at 2:19 AM.
haris_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 10:16 AM   #13
Super Moderator

do you have access to a camera store with a decent selection of cameras near you.

the best way to figure out what you want is to try them out. see how you like the optical viewfinder of the kx, versus composing on the lcd like the EPL1. see how they feel in your hands, how the size fits with your needs. the kx will be the quickest of the cameras being a dslr, with the epl1 following pretty closely, and both being significantly faster than the fz in shot to shot times, etc.

to say the kx has the best movies, well its really not that simple. the kx has the larger sensor which has its advantages in lower light and with depth of field control, however dslr video has disadvantages too, the aperture is not stepless, so when you try to change exposure while recording you will get a whiteout moment, and you will hear your autofocus motor in the video, etc.

unfortunately there are no cut and dry answers many of the time. it is more of a bunch of conditional statements, and why tailoring the camera to your own specific needs is the only approach, as there is no single "best camera" for everyone.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 10:41 AM   #14

harris-

Your goals are excellent. However, I think that, as in a lot of the challenges we face during our lifetime, that you should take on photography incrementally. i am suggesting that you take smaller steps, and do each step well, before progressing onward.

This year purchase the Panasonic FZ-35 and master it. Then, when you are ready, next year, sell the FZ-35, there will always be a good market for FZ cameras, I sold my FZ-28 for more than I had initially paid for it when I purchased it. Then when you have mastered all of the FZ 35, move to the Pentax Kx DSLR.

That way the goals are smaller and more achievable and the learning process is fun, not difficult or forced.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 12, 2010, 11:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
harris-

Your goals are excellent. However, I think that, as in a lot of the challenges we face during our lifetime, that you should take on photography incrementally. i am suggesting that you take smaller steps, and do each step well, before progressing onward.

This year purchase the Panasonic FZ-35 and master it. Then, when you are ready, next year, sell the FZ-35, there will always be a good market for FZ cameras, I sold my FZ-28 for more than I had initially paid for it when I purchased it. Then when you have mastered all of the FZ 35, move to the Pentax Kx DSLR.

That way the goals are smaller and more achievable and the learning process is fun, not difficult or forced.

Sarah Joyce
IMO, this is really good advice and what I'm planning on doing.

I inherited my mom's house, which is on a river in a beautiful setting. I have to sell it soon, but I wanted to photography everything (lots of wildlife and birds) so I had the memories after I was gone. The cameras I have were not up to the task, so I started researching two months ago. I wanted really good image quality, a long zoom, and the ability to grow and learn with the camera. All of the cameras you listed were on my "possibles" list.

I figured a DSLR was more than I could master in a short period of time. Like you with your honeymoon in two months, my time is short and I didn't want to panic trying to learn a whole new system

I bought the HS10, but after three weeks of using it, returned it as it was not the camera for me. It's a great camera, don't get me wrong, is capable of beautiful photographs, but I could not get comfortable using this camera, even though it was my fourth Fuji. In the future, I could see myself going back to this camera.

I bought the Panasonic FZ35 two weeks ago, and I'm HAVING A LOT OF FUN taking pics with it and learning the functions and menus. I've gotten photos that I'm happy with, and that's the most important thing (to me )

My thoughts are just what Sarah expressed, I'm going to use this camera for awhile, learn and enjoy it, take a ton of photos, and move to a DSLR when the time is right.

Laurie
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 11:55 AM   #16

If you want to grow in your photography, the olympus epl-1 or the K-x would be the best option. They you can add lenses as you grow in your photography.

The epl-1 is a great travel camera. It does pack down very small. And the HD is very good on the camera. My wife like taking short video clips with it. This camera will not get over your head. It has a crawl, walk and run progression system. Shooting in scene modes, then moving up to iauto as you get better, and then going to the manual mode when you want to get into advance shooting.

If low light and action is something you take allot and are okay with a larger camera. The pentax k-x is a very good entry level dslr. I shoot it at times. And it is a very capable action and low light camera. It is still not to big of a package for a dslr. Think only the olympus e620 is smaller. The camera is also pretty good for new users. You have art filter and scene modes to begin with and when you are ready, you can more up to the manual mode.

Just get a 16gb card, or 2 8gb card. 12 min of 720 hd video will eat about 3gb. So my vote is either the epl-1 or pentax K-x. They will give you the best photo quality, and the most capability.
Old May 12, 2010, 12:13 PM   #17

Thanks, Laurie-

It was great to hear of your experience. Learning should be fun, not a forced march.

We have to crawl before we learn to walk. It is as simple as that.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 13, 2010, 8:29 AM   #18

Thanks everyone for the help, this is appreciated a lot!

Now heading ot the last week of deciding, the FZ35 just got a head in front of k-x. The pl1 just got out of the way... The price of it was too much, and considering that with that money i can get a DSLR i decided not to go for it...

Now the last thoughts i have that lead me to the change of mind:
- The camera needs to be easy enough to be used by all family, and even a stranger or another friend that would take us a photo on a trip in a matter of seconds
- Portability
- Learning time of each camera. It might be difficult for me to use the k-x on my honeymoon, and thus we might end up using my Ixus during the trip.
- Lower cost
- good HD again, but taking smaller space in memory
- Would not want on my trip to have in mind all day how to take photos. I would just want to enjoy every minute and just take photos of the moments.

Of course on the other side i still think about:
- the potential of learning with k-x
- dslr is a .... dslr
- better quality photos in the long run
- the sister of my finacee has a dslr, and we would really enjoy it going for trips to take photos and learn from each other..
- i dont think i will ever exchange the dslr, the fz35 has a time limit. Of course this is kind of subjective as in 2-3 years i might not even think of a DSLR...

By the way i just realised someting about me:
That would mean about 1 post per year! steves' best blogger!!!
haris_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 8:37 AM   #19

harris-

You are down to the issues that only you can decide. I honestly do not believe that in these last very busy two months before the wedding that you can learn and master the Pentax Kx. I am sorry to say that I think that is an unrealistic and rather hopeful wish.

Use the Panasonic FZ-35 to learn and get comfortable with photography. Then sell it. I sold my FZ-28 for more than I paid for it. Panasonic cameras keep their value. Then you are ready and comfortable to move up to the Kx.

Best of luck.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 13, 2010, 12:44 PM   #20

The k-x is very easy to use it can be she up like a point and shoot with the menu's. If you do plan on upgrading as you grow in photography. The k-x will be a better value in the long run, as the cost of selling the fz down the line will return very little back.

Also, you will not be able to get good snap with the fz at night during the wedding celebration. You will need something that can shoot very good at 3200iso with the built in flash to get something when the lights dim down for the dancing. I shoot in that environment allot.

My brother was able to use the scene mode to shoot some good snaps of swing dancing right off the bat the first day he got it. Now he is moving into the advance mode of Av on the camera. And he has only had it for 2 months.

Here are some example of really low light shooting, that only a dslr can give you. There are a mix of high iso shoot, flash shots. You will need a fast lens to be able to do this. Something like a 50mm 1.4 would be very helpful. But even with the like lens you can shoot at 6400iso with the built in flash, and it will give you better results then the fz at 3200 iso.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...s-dancing.html