Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which camera?
Pentax k-x 4 30.77%
Fuji HS10 0 0%
Olympus E-PL1 3 23.08%
Panasonic Lumix FZ35 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 14, 2010, 8:46 AM   #31

Good morning to the US people, here it's afternoon

Just wanted to ask a question for the video capabilities. Through various videos i'm watching, i saw that with k-x almost all the people are playing with the focus, that makes very nice transitions... Does the fz35 have similar capabilities? Or on video mode is just auto focus? Because people are not "playing" with the focus on fz videos.

I went to a store yesterday, but the only camera i found was the EPL1 - which seems to be a great camera! But as i previously said, a bit expensive for me.
haris_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 1:08 PM   #32

The FZ is a good camera, but will not give you the ability of a dslr or the epl-1. The larger sensor in both the dslr and epl-1 will give you higher quality photo. You also have better low light shooting with them, and you can control your depth of field better. The auto focus is also better on the dslr and epl-1.

Video wise, the epl-1 does a fantastic job. I have that and a canon 500d. I also shoot the pentax k-x and they take good video too.

So between a FZ or the dslr. If you want more control and higher image quality, better auto focus for action, and for shooting in low light, the dslr is the better tool for those needs.
Old May 14, 2010, 2:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The FZ is a good camera, but will not give you the ability of a dslr or the epl-1. The larger sensor in both the dslr and epl-1 will give you higher quality photo. You also have better low light shooting with them, and you can control your depth of field better. The auto focus is also better on the dslr and epl-1.

Video wise, the epl-1 does a fantastic job. I have that and a canon 500d. I also shoot the pentax k-x and they take good video too.

So between a FZ or the dslr. If you want more control and higher image quality, better auto focus for action, and for shooting in low light, the dslr is the better tool for those needs.

thanks!

so as i understand you are very happy with video on epl1, and quite happy with x-k? In terms of quality you mean or overall experience, space, colours etc?
I suppose you never compared the video with fz35 right?
Old May 14, 2010, 2:54 PM   #34

Actually I am very happy with the epl-1, and with the k-x and 500d. The epl-1 just has a better live view system for video over a dslr.

I've seen the video of the fz and the zs3, they use a ccd sensor. My friend has a zs3. They do a nice job. But the cmos sensors seem to be better design for hd video or it is just that the epl-1 is a super fun camera to shoot hd with as it is light and easy to use with the larger sensor.
Old May 14, 2010, 2:57 PM   #35
Super Moderator

the video of my EPL1 is in a different league than the ccd hd video from my ZR1. not that the ZR1 is bad per se, but the small sensor can't keep up, and the ccd suffers from streaking.
Old May 15, 2010, 2:24 AM   #36

Thanks for all the replies to everyone!

So i will take into account that fz35 most probably would suit better my needs now, and won't make so complicated my life...

k-x is better of course than fz35, but i might have some difficulties at first...

epl1, most probably is the best combination for me, but unfortunately is the most expensive from the three...

So i will leave you at peace for now, and will let you know soon for my final decision!
Old May 15, 2010, 2:28 AM   #37

The K-x can be set up to shoot as simple as the FZ, It has scene moods and art filters. It is pretty easy for a new users. Better then the canon or nikon when it comes to beginner interface. So the difficulties are really not there. There are allot of different scene option including macro and low light just as examples.
Old May 15, 2010, 3:03 AM   #38

SO for the people that need photos of Cyprus to be convinced and visit my wedding!

Taken from my mobile, my camera, my brother's camera and my sister's camera...
Attached Images

Last edited by haris_el; May 15, 2010 at 3:05 AM.
Old May 15, 2010, 3:04 AM   #39

and some more...
Attached Images

Old May 15, 2010, 3:06 AM   #40

and finally my car...

Not the Lamborghini...
Not the Bugati Veiron...
The black Peugeot 307 at the back
Attached Images