Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which camera?
Pentax k-x 4 30.77%
Fuji HS10 0 0%
Olympus E-PL1 3 23.08%
Panasonic Lumix FZ35 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11, 2010, 2:50 AM   #1

Default Please - some recommendations to beginner

Hi guys,

after extensive reading over the past week i came down to the following models.

Basically i have a Canon SD1000, and now i want something better, that would help me know some things more about photography and help me take some nicer photos in the future in all places (indoors, outdoors, family photos etc), as i am getting married in a month ...

The other thing i was looking for is to have good video capabilities as when i travel, we usually tend to shoot small video clips. Although i am skeptical on whether such HD films would fill up the memory card, and would be left without space during vacations (thus as a backup would have definitely my small canon).... Of course i suppose i could decrease quality of videos and thus, the size would be reduced...

The my list with order or preference - FOR NOW:
1. Pentax K-x
2. Fuhi HS10
3. Olympus E-PL1
4. Panasonic Lumix FZ35

What would you recommend from me from your experience?

Thanks everyone in advance!
haris_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2010, 3:08 AM   #2

Panasonic is always one of my top choices for video and the FZ35 seems like a very nice cam as well. Video doesn't take up as much space as you think. I find that most of my clips are only 10-60s. You won't be shooting a feature film. I had 2 cams with me on my 10-day vacation last week along with a 16GB SD card and a 4GB SD card. I used about 7GB between video and stills for 2 cameras in 10 days. That included the beach, 2 hikes and a trip to the largest aquarium in the US.
Old May 11, 2010, 3:43 AM   #3

OK thanks,

so you mean that a 2 min video full definition for the camera would not take so much time?

Can you please let me know an example for a normal day light video that you took? With dimensions and quality? Just to understand also for the other cameras.

Thanks again!
Old May 11, 2010, 3:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by haris_el View Post

The my list with order or preference - FOR NOW:
1. Pentax K-x
2. Fuhi HS10
3. Olympus E-PL1
4. Panasonic Lumix FZ35

What would you recommend from me from your experience?

Thanks everyone in advance!
It is not easy to make a recommendation based on your poll because it covers three different classes of camera. If you want a bridge camera, the Lumix is a good choice and great value for money.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 7:36 AM   #5

Basically i want to get more involved with shooting, but i want also to be able and get some videos on my holidays.
I was thinking if going straight let's say to a k-x would be a good decision, or i should go first to a HS10 or one of the others and then after jump to a DSLR...

I am confused as to which is the right choice for me now, as the investment is not small $$$ .

I feel stupid asking such questions as this topic, but i don't have any friends that deal with these things, so i have to ask in a forum like this, in order to get some advice and opinions from people that know more than i do..
Old May 11, 2010, 8:02 AM   #6

Haris, you need to consider the learning curve too. Normally I would say the Kx is a great camera (I have the K7 and am delighted with the video - it is really very good in 720p) but be aware that the video format used can make a huge difference in space used on your SD card. The HD format used in Pentaxes uses up a lot of space but you get superb video even in light too low to properly shoot stills. You can always buy extra cards - they are cheap and you can reuse them later on if you change your camera. For your needs I would suggest 4x8GB cards (so when one is full you can safely store it until you get back from holidays and not run the risk of losing everything due to damage / loss / theft / malfunction).

The K-x captures in Motion JPEG (.AVI) format. While not as compressed as other formats, it provides the most information if you intend to edit your movies.

Mtnclimber (Sarah) says the FZ35 is going to be replaced in the next 2 or 3 months so prices may drop considerably once the new model is announced. She also has the HS10 - ask her about it but it's looking very good from initial reports.

The Oly would be a high quality travel kit. Some of the posters on here (TCav ?) have this system and can comment better.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 8:04 AM   #7

One other point : people know the Kx and FZ35 better than the other two so those are going to garner the most votes regardless !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 8:22 AM   #8

Quote:
I feel stupid asking such questions as this topic
Nothing stupid about your questions.

Quote:
but i don't have any friends that deal with these things
You do now

It seems to me that the main choice you have to make is bridge or DSLR.
The two bridge cameras in your poll are both good candidates. The
HS10 is still quite new, but the initial reviews seem quite positive. The
Lumix is widely regarded as one of the best bridge cameras.

I have no experience with the Pentax K-x. Here in Ireland, Canon, Nikon
and Sony are the dominant brands. Reviews and sample photos in this
forum and others would suggest that the K-x is a very good performer.
I don't think the entry-level Canon and Nikon models (1000D and D3000)
can record video so you would have to move further up the range to meet
your list of requirements. The K-x with the two lens kit looks like an
attractive option.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
OK thanks,

so you mean that a 2 min video full definition for the camera would not take so much time?

Can you please let me know an example for a normal day light video that you took? With dimensions and quality? Just to understand also for the other cameras.

Thanks again!
One example only ...

1080/60i (1920x1080) video shot with the Sony HX5V is 36 seconds long and 53MB. The data rate is roughly 12,000kbps on this video.

If you're truly concerned, you can easily carry a few 16GB cards in a camera case but I don't think you'll find it necessary.
Old May 11, 2010, 1:11 PM   #10
Super Moderator

keep in mind here that you are comparing 4 very different entities here. the hs10 and the fz35 are both small sensor bridge superzoom cameras. they use sensors of similar size to your p&s, however they offer a wealth of controls and options to get you into photography. however as with the small sensor in your p&s, the laws of physics limit their ability to handle lower-light, higher ISO shooting.

the other 2 cameras you mention (the kx and the epl1) are larger sensor interchangeable lens cameras. here they diverge pretty substantially. the kx is a traditional DSLR with an optical through the lens viewfinder. the EPL1 does not have an optical viewfinder but relies on the LCD or optional electronic viewfinder to compose and take pictures.

the DSLR is always the choice for action shots as the autofocus is faster and the optical viewfinder is needed to keep up with the faster action. and the KX is a very capable entry-level dslr with great high ISO capabilities, good features, and overall good image quality.

I own and love the EPL1. it does really well for my shooting, which tends to be slower. great for landscape, cityscape, candid people shots, etc. however, it will never replace my 50d dslr for action/sports, etc. even though the EPL1 due to its large sensor can nearly match the output of a dslr in pure image quality terms.

Frogfish made a good point about the video compression. the KX and EPL1 both shoot 720p without compression, this makes their file sizes quite substantial and using video can quickly fill up a memory card. of those mentioned, only the FZ35 uses a compressed movie format to save space.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote