Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 11, 2010, 10:19 AM   #1

Default Even looking at all the threads, still confused

I own D80 with Nikon x(forgot the number)-200mm lens. It has been wonderful. I primarily leave it in auto mode. I take lots of grandchildren photos. Now the camera goes to my college-bound son.
For the new one, I would love HD video included. I am leaning toward the Canon EOS Rebel T2i. However, my husband is stuck with the "Nikon" name. We do not own any other Nikon lens (except a couple of the old slr lens).
From search, I see the D5000 is a notch lower and the D90 is a notch higher. Any new Nikon that would belong to this list?
If you were, I, sans Nikon-Head hubby, which would you get?
Thanks for your expertise.
nancyh1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2010, 10:43 AM   #2

I was pretty much in the same boat as you when I was looking at the Canon T1i/T2i or the Nikon D90. I went with the Canon T1i.. If you read any reviews on other sites etc.. they always Compare the T2i and D90 against each other...

here is a link I read when looking when looking to buy a T2i or D90

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...ikon-D90.shtml

good luck !
Old May 11, 2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Super Moderator

if video is of priority, it is worth the money to get the T2I, it by far has the best video and controls of the cameras you have mentioned. and without really any lenses to tie you down to nikon, its an easy switch.

to be honest there is little to choose between the name nikon and canon, both make fine cameras. but if you want the HD video, in its price range at the time of writing this post, the t2i is the best bet.

you will want to think about getting a different lens than the kit lens, and this really goes for any dslr, for shooting video, as the non-silent motors will be pretty loud in the audio track.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 11:05 AM   #4

There isn't a dog in the bunch, and since you don't have anything to speak of that you'd carry forward, the only real difference is the resolution (12MP for the D90, 15MP for the T1i, and 18MP for the T2i) and the video (The Canons are better.)

Consider this. If you get a Nikon, your son can "borrow" lenses from you; if you get a Canon, he can't.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
you will want to think about getting a different lens than the kit lens, and this really goes for any dslr, for shooting video, as the non-silent motors will be pretty loud in the audio track.
And an off-camera microphone will negate any camera / lens noise completely. I don't know which of those cameras (if any) offer that function.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 11:21 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
And an off-camera microphone will negate any camera / lens noise completely. I don't know which of those cameras (if any) offer that function.
only the t2i has an external mic jack. one of the big reasons its the best for video applications.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
only the t2i has an external mic jack. one of the big reasons its the best for video applications.
The Pentax K7 does too.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
The Pentax K7 does too.
well i was only talking between those mentioned in the o.p.

the t2i still has the advantage in video over the k7 in the full 1080p and full manual controls.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 9:37 AM   #9

I recently upgraded to a t2i from a t1i for the improved movie qualities. Unfortunately, I am disappointed. The t2i records in quicktime.mov only which appears to limit the ability to edited the video in many software packages.
kenb538 is offline   Reply With Quote