Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 25, 2010, 7:46 AM   #21
Administrator

"Street Price" for the non-OS version is around $799 right now. Here's an example of one in Canon mount:

http://www.adorama.com/SG70200H2EOS.html

The OS version is going to bring around $1699 (at least initially) from what I can see of listings for it (but, it's not in stock yet at most vendors). Here's a listing for one in Canon mount.

http://www.adorama.com/SG70200OEO.html

It looks like Amazon.com is showing one to three weeks on them right now. So, they should start hitting store shelves soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-200mm...dp/B003HC8V9A/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 7:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcosta View Post
Do you know the pricing on the OS and the non-OS versions?
The unstabilized Sigma 70-200/2.8 sells for $800, though the Sigma website shows an MSRP of $1,200. I couldn't find a listing for the stabilized version yet, but the Sigma website shows it with an MSRP of $2,470.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:23 PM   #23

Just to mix it up a little here...knowing that the Canon T1i does not have built-in image stabilization and that I'm not likely to buy expensive Canon lenses that have IS, what are your thoughts if I went with a Sony A500 body instead (with built-in IS), along with the Sigma 70-200mm lens. Would I have better results/less blur for indoor sports (basketball, swimming) and/or school plays/recitals?
jwcosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:46 PM   #24

The non 70-200mm 2.8 is a very expensive lens, at 800 dollars. But the sony AF system will not be as good as the canon if you are taking action. But remember if you are taking action shots, you will not want IS on anyway, so you will get better af tacking for you indoor basketball and swimming with the canon with the non is sigma 70-200mm 2.8. Just something else to consider.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:59 PM   #25

The Canon T1i has a better AF system than the Sony A450/A500/A550, but it's not a lot better. The Sony is no slouch, and the Sony's sensor shift image stabilization would be handy when using a long lens for school plays, etc.

Besides Basketball, swimming, school plays and recitals, is there anything else you'd like to be able to photograph?

Last edited by TCav; Jun 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 4:35 PM   #26

If you want a no slouch on the AF, the Pentax K-x is very good, it is just slightly behind the canon in the AF department, and shoot at 12800iso, and a 2 lens kit will cost 680 dollars for a 18-55 and 55-300. Which is less then the sony A500 with one lens. So you can have a long reach outdoor lens, push you can get the sigma 70-200mm 2.8 for your indoor shots, and have the advantage of a very very good AF system and inbody IS and 720p HD video. And it will not break the bank.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:17 PM   #27

Default Canon EF 200 mm f/2.8L II USM Telephoto Lens from Canon

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Canon EF 200 mm f/2.8L II USM Telephoto Lens. I saw it on Dell.com for $749. Am I really limiting myself if I buy this lens instead of the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8? I cannot afford one of the more expensive lenses. Will I be able to get the sports shots (basketball, swimming, school plays, etc). that I want?

I have a $350 gift certificate to Dell.....not that that should dictate this decision. The Sigma lens is not available on Dell.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:34 PM   #28

Using a 200mm prime lens for basketball and swimming is going to be extremely limiting - for basketball especially (assuming of course you're shooting from the baseline or first row of bleachers where you need to be to get good shots anyway). The 200mm 2.8 is a fantastic lens but without doubt the sigma 70-200 2.8 is a better tool for indoor sports.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:13 AM   #29

Default Old Canon Lenses

Gentlemen: Well...I finally purchased the Canon T1i with the 18-55mm lens that comes with it. At some point when I've save up some more, I will purchase the Sigma 70-200mm f2 lens....one expensive purchase at a time!

I have a question. I have a few old lenses from an ancient Canon AE1 film camera (circa 1980's). I used to love using this camera, and it took great photos. I realize that the mounting system is complete different from the current Canon EF mounting system, but will these old lenses work (via an adapter) with my new T1i? I assuming I would not be able to auto-focus, etc, but would they even work?

If so, could you send me a link to where I could purchase an adapter?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:20 AM   #30

That depends on what you mean by "work". There'd be no AF or AE. Everything will be manual. Use your 18-55 for a while, and then switch to MF and M (Manual) Mode, and see which you like better.