Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 11, 2010, 1:45 PM   #1

Default canon sx 210 is vs panasonic tz 10

I m very confused for both these 2 cameras
im a canon fan, i still think that canon is the best company in market
but i didnt hear good review of sx 210 is as tz 10
Really solid revies for z10

what u think guys?
essawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2010, 2:54 PM   #2

essawi-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Thus far it seems like a proper evaluation depends on 5 factors with regard to the canon SX-210.

(1) If full 14X/392mm optical zoom is not going to be used much, that keeps the SX-210 in the consideration. You see the SX-210 does a very good jobat 12X/336mm optical zoom and less. However, at 14X/392mm it appears that things get dicey and image quality suffers.

(2) If the lens shadow appearing in the photos when shooting at full wide angle with the flash is not a consideration, then the SX-210 is still under consideration.

(3) If the still popping up, but now stow-able pop-up flash is not a bother, then the SX-210 is still under consideration.

(4) If the lack of a GPS add-on is not a factor for you, then the SX-210 is still under consideration.

(5) If you are not fascinated by pixel peeping your images at a 100% crop, then the SX-210 is still under consideration

Those are the 5 most mentioned complaints on the SX-210.

The ZS7/TZ10 has good reviews and image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 6:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
essawi-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Thus far it seems like a proper evaluation depends on 5 factors with regard to the canon SX-210.

(1) If full 14X/392mm optical zoom is not going to be used much, that keeps the SX-210 in the consideration. You see the SX-210 does a very good jobat 12X/336mm optical zoom and less. However, at 14X/392mm it appears that things get dicey and image quality suffers.

(2) If the lens shadow appearing in the photos when shooting at full wide angle with the flash is not a consideration, then the SX-210 is still under consideration.

(3) If the still popping up, but now stow-able pop-up flash is not a bother, then the SX-210 is still under consideration.

(4) If the lack of a GPS add-on is not a factor for you, then the SX-210 is still under consideration.

(5) If you are not fascinated by pixel peeping your images at a 100% crop, then the SX-210 is still under consideration

Those are the 5 most mentioned complaints on the SX-210.

The ZS7/TZ10 has good reviews and image quality.

Sarah Joyce
thx a lot for ur advice
but in picture quality?specially in low light what u think will be better between these 2?
Old May 11, 2010, 6:42 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by essawi View Post
thx a lot for ur advice
but in picture quality?specially in low light what u think will be better between these 2?
neither will be good in low-light. too pixel dense of sensor...

superzoom compacts are not low-light cameras.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 6:59 PM   #5

essawi-

The only camera that are good in a low light environment are the Canon S-90, the G-11, and DSLR cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 10:22 PM   #6

Thx a lot for both ur help
Old May 20, 2010, 4:32 PM   #7

Hi There,

I am too am having a really hard time deciding between the ZS7 and the SX210. I have read countless reviews on both of them - some pushing me towards the ZS7 and other pushing me towards the SX210.

Ultimately, I need a camera to take pictures while I am traveling (South America specifically) mostly of wildlife and landscape. I value image quality as the most important criteria so I would love an opinion of which of these will take better pictures in most conditions. I found these two comparisons:

"http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_zs7-review/gallery"
"http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_sx210-review/gallery"

Thanks!
Linden
linden.head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 4:37 PM   #8

One thing about the ZS7 is that the GPS will drain your battery faster. Not sure how many your are planning to get or how often you can do a recharge. Not a big deal with 2 batteries where you can recharge at night. But if you shoot allot, you may want to get 3 batteries.

But next to that, both are really good camera. Image quality are pretty much equal. I would bring a memory card to a store that carries both camera, and take some test shots. Bring them home and see which camera's images are more pleasing to you. Each camera process the image differently for jpeg. You might like ones process better then the other one.

You really can not go wrong with either.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 5:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
One thing about the ZS7 is that the GPS will drain your battery faster. Not sure how many your are planning to get or how often you can do a recharge. Not a big deal with 2 batteries where you can recharge at night. But if you shoot allot, you may want to get 3 batteries.
You could just turn the GPS off if you determine that you don't need/want it. I have kept my ZS7 in travel mode (GPS on when camera is on) for a week and the battery is not dead yet.
Old May 20, 2010, 5:54 PM   #10

That is an option. The zs6 at costco got rid of gps all together. That is another option also, it is just a zs7 without gps.