Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 11, 2010, 4:32 PM   #11

right the sony is ahead at the moment, but the cost of it is now beyond what i wanted to go to but i think its worth it!
have either of you had the sony hx5?

the reviews say the quality is not that great, but if its of the occasionally holiday snaps, inparticular Thailand...its going to be of people...

Also do you know if the GPS functionality is on as soon as you switch on the camara, as i know this is a problem with others that have the same functionality.

once again thanks for helping....the card is out....
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 4:36 PM   #12

Zoom is important...face detection...it says one. does that mean that it only detects one face and not multiple?
Old May 11, 2010, 4:44 PM   #13

I do not have it, but been playing around with it quite allot at couple of stores, bh, adorama, and JandR as I need to replace on of mine point and shoots. And I have been looking at the sony. It is pricey.

Thailand, nikon territory

Once you turn on the camera is starts trying to get a gps sysc. That is what the guy at BH show me.

The sony is ahead with all the cool features.

photowise the canon and nikon are about the same.
Old May 11, 2010, 4:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
To get a point and shoot with decent low light, you will have to give up the long zoom. The S90 is the best pocket size point and shoot currently. But no HD, but it has more manual controls, that you can use to control the setting better then the menu setting of the sx210 or the hx5v.

So if low light is more important you may have to give up on a long zoom. But is the zoom is more important, you will have to accept less low light performance.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If power drain is the concern the canon without the gps, will most likely give you the most battery life. One less thing to drain the small battery.
Well, easy enough to turn the GPS off when battery life is a concern. I have also found that the GPS features on the Sony HX5V and ZS7 in travel mode (functions like the HX5V this way) don't consume nearly as much battery as I thought they would. I easily got an entire days worth of shooting with both cams while on vacation. The Sony did drop to 50% after the aquarium but we took a lot of video and quite a couple hundred pics (wife was enjoying the 10fps mode).
Old May 11, 2010, 4:45 PM   #15
Super Moderator

why don't you have a browse through this thread. they cover many of those issues here. and i am sure they would be happy to answer any questions you have related to the hx5 in that thread

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...pressions.html
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 4:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief View Post
Zoom is important...face detection...it says one. does that mean that it only detects one face and not multiple?
It can detect multi faces
Old May 11, 2010, 4:48 PM   #17

Here is one on the canon sx210

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...le-photos.html

Trying to find links on a zs7 or the zs5 is pretty much the same in image quality. Just do not have the gps.
Old May 11, 2010, 5:06 PM   #18

Also I would go to a store to see how each one's ergo set up fits you better. If the camera layout does not work well. No matter how good, it will not be right for you. But the image quality of the lumix, canon and sony are pretty close. Sony and canon seems to do a bit better in low light over the lumix.
Old May 11, 2010, 5:18 PM   #19

Guys, Gals (?)
Thanks for your help, if you have any more to share ill be checking this wonderful site in the morning.
need to make the call 1st thing tomorrow...im so excited! (soz being a gal)
once i have it and returned from hols be sure to share shots i have taken for feedback.
happy mischief