Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 11, 2010, 3:13 PM   #1

Default HELP!!! Im confused!

Hi Guys,

I'm really confused as to which camera I should buy out of the Panasonic lumix TZ8 or the Sony TX5..

I have budget of - 250 pounds (approx 375 dollars) I'm off on Holiday on Sunday and really need to order by tommorow, who knows? You guys may even have a better option then either of those two.

PS I know there are differences in optical zoom, and one being waterproof..am i missing anything else??

I'm lookin for a camera which is compact, the shutter speed is quick (as in clicking the button to take the shot as most camera 's I have had in the past have been rather slow and I have missed a shot!) and has a half decent zoom, and resolution...any help from you guys would be great..

Thanks a million,

Mischief (noob now..aspiring geek hopefully soon )
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2010, 3:16 PM   #2
Super Moderator

is the long zoom important? is the waterproof important?

these 2 cameras are really not direct competition, i just wonder what it was you liked about each of them, and which features are most important?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 3:28 PM   #3

The zoom is important and although they are not a direct comparison I came across them both via friends that have the lumix and the sony in a conversation.
I previously had the sony DSC- N2 and loved it until an accident.

I want something that is easy to use but has SLR capability, and that is durable hence the Sony (memories of what happened to old camara, water etc)

I like sony functionality and something that i am familiar with, but the lumix reviews are very good and the zoom is what is enticing me.

There are other things like shutter speed that i want to improve on and not sure what i am looking at when i see all the numbers.

I am happy to defect to another brand, but need your help on making that call...even if that is Canon.

thoughts...help!
mischief
Old May 11, 2010, 3:30 PM   #4
Super Moderator

by SLR capabilities, i am assuming you mean that there are some manual controls to learn?

also, is size a priority, you can get further control if you move up to a larger camera.
Old May 11, 2010, 3:39 PM   #5

Im a girl and want it all to fit neatly in my handbag...that sounds so cliche.
But it needs to be compact as i enjoying travelling, going out etc.
The reasons why i say durable and that reminds me something that takes quality shots in low lights, evening shots....

what are you suggesting if i go up a size? does that mean my price has to go up?

manual controls ...yes...easy and quick to operate..yes..want to learn how to produce quality shots using a compact camara.
Old May 11, 2010, 3:50 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Alright, I think I have a better handle on your situation now.

just keep in mind these small superzooms don't do real well in low-light shots. but like anything, its a compromise you will have to make.

Have a look at Sony's HX5, it does a little bit better in lower light and higher ISO than most superzooms, has a good 10x zoom lens, and has some interesting features such as handheld twilight mode for low-light shots, and auto-sweep panoramic modes. I think you may find this one to be your liking, its a good size, well built, and you have had good luck with Sony in the past.
Old May 11, 2010, 4:06 PM   #7

so far the reviews i have read are mixed bag...
it has the GPS tracking which is said to be a power/battery burner and the quality of the pictures comes at a comprimise "the poor image quality of this camera was a compromise too far for me, so back it goes..."

so with the 5stars against 4star lumix.....uhmm i do like the sony...
what to do???
thanks so much Hards80...off to find the best price, but in the meantime if you know of any others, please share.
Oohh what about the canons? no good? avoid?
Old May 11, 2010, 4:11 PM   #8

The canon SX210 is another option with a 14x zoom. And is about as good as the sony Hx5v in low light form the sample photos a member has posted. But it does not have as many cool features as the sony with sweep pano and gps.
Old May 11, 2010, 4:16 PM   #9
Super Moderator

the problem is, these small sensor superzoom cameras, none of them are going to perform well in low-light. and the current generation of the the canon sx210 and the panny tz8/9 is they increased their megapixels to 14, which increases the pixel density on these small sensors, which in turn drives noise levels up. just no way around physics.
Old May 11, 2010, 4:21 PM   #10

To get a point and shoot with decent low light, you will have to give up the long zoom. The S90 is the best pocket size point and shoot currently. But no HD, but it has more manual controls, that you can use to control the setting better then the menu setting of the sx210 or the hx5v.

So if low light is more important you may have to give up on a long zoom. But is the zoom is more important, you will have to accept less low light performance.

If power drain is the concern the canon without the gps, will most likely give you the most battery life. One less thing to drain the small battery.