Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 13, 2010, 1:44 PM   #11

i think im going to buy myself canon 550d with 18-55 kit lense and 50mm f\1.8.as im in a tight budget and i will really love to have hd.thanks alot for ur help guys.but still,i have one more confusion.is there any difference in build quality or in image quality between Japanese and chinese camera??im keeping to see in many blogs\forums people complaining about china or taiwan made cameras saying that those cams look and feel like toys and they take worse pictures comparing to japan made camera?? is it really a big issue that where the camera was manufactured?? im really really for real very much scared and confused as here in bangladesh most of the shops keep chinese or taiwanese cameras.pls help me out.provide me ur honest opinion.
NiNiKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 1:45 PM   #12

You get HD with the 500D also, and it is less of a impact on your budget if that is a major concern.
Old May 13, 2010, 2:03 PM   #13

i havent ordered yet.im gonna do that within a day or two.if my budget falls short i will certainly consider the 500d.as both of them look and feel almost identical.infact i think 550d is a little bit smaller.i own very big hands lol.i think will have two pass some difficult time handling such small cam.but for now my only concern is japan vs. china.i am worried and confused

Last edited by NiNiKa; May 13, 2010 at 2:07 PM.
Old May 13, 2010, 2:05 PM   #14

All canon dslr are made in Japan. The lenses do come from all over asia.
Old May 13, 2010, 2:10 PM   #15

i dont know then why those forum discussions scared the hell out of me lol.they gave the same camera three different names....kiss x4 in japan....t2i in usa....and 550d for the rest of the world!! is there no difference among these three??
Old May 13, 2010, 2:11 PM   #16

They have different names, and a different badge on it, but they are all made in Japan.
Old May 13, 2010, 2:18 PM   #17

so there is no difference as in build or image quality?? u know one of my friends started this thing , he cant rely on any electronics which was not manufactured in japan.he told me japanese goods are worth spending thousand bucks extra for.sounds funny??
Old May 13, 2010, 2:20 PM   #18

there is no difference in the camera, they are all the same Kiss x4, T2i, 550D.
Old May 13, 2010, 2:30 PM   #19

That is true an not true at the same time. Olympus makes the cameras in china and are really good. It all comes down to the factory and which international standard they live up to.

A japanese HDTV is a bit better built the one made in china in the past, but they have gotten better. But my HDTV is made in Japan, and have been very happy. My buddy had a samsung that was made in China, an older model and it broke. But the new one he has is really great.
Old May 13, 2010, 4:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNiKa View Post
so there is no difference as in build or image quality?? u know one of my friends started this thing , he cant rely on any electronics which was not manufactured in japan.he told me japanese goods are worth spending thousand bucks extra for.sounds funny??

Quite a while ago, a French electronics firm contracted with a Japanese electronics firm to make a small assembly for them. This small assembly included bare wires that were to be twisted to prevent the strands from unraveling. It turns out that right handed people hold a wire in their left hand and twist the strands between the thumb and index finger of their right hand, while left handed people do the opposite. It also turns out that, in the rest of the world, about 5% of people are left handed, but in Japan, it's closer to 15%. When the assemblies arrived in France, many of them could not be used because the wires that were twisted by the left handed workers were unraveling as they were being inserted into the larger assemblies. The French company decided that, because of the higher failure rate of the small assemblies, they wouldn't pay for them. The Japanese company sued and won because, technically, there was nothing wrong with the assemblies they provided, and the French company had never actually specified how the wires were to be twisted. (As a result of this incident, there is now an international standard for how wires are to be twisted.) But that French company didn't think very much of those "Made in Japan" products it had purchased.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote