Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 11, 2010, 3:39 PM   #1

Default problem again

hi.its me again,confused and not sure about what i decided was really right or wrong i want help again from the super helpful senior members of this site.pentax cant be found by us(bangladesh).there is no retailer or dealer.so i will have to wait until the year ends and my uncle living in japan comes visit us.but canon is available and very cheap by us.so i have the brand new canon 550d available.but its with only one lense(18-55mm is).can anyone help me chosing between these two?? is it worth waiting for one year to get the pentax k-x with two kit lense(18-55 and 55-250).or should i buy the canon 550d,costing almost 870$ and be satisfied with only one kit lense?? i cant wait to buy my first slr,also i dont actually want to spend extra bucks if its really not necessary........pls help me out
NiNiKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2010, 3:47 PM   #2

The K-x is a great camera, and the 18-55 and 55-300mm lens are very good kit lenses. The 550D is a great camera also. The pentax k-x was awarded TIPA best entry DSLR, and the 550D was awarded TIPA best advance DSLR. So they are both very very good camera. Both are great low light cameras.

I shoot a k-x at times and a 500D. And if HD video is a big concern for you the 550D is a better HD camera then the K-x.

But with the lens issues, it depends on what you like to shoot. If you like to shoot landscape, the signal lens would work. But for bird, or action in daylight the k-x with the 55-300mm lens does quite well, not as good as the canon. But can hold it's own. So you will need the second lens.

Here are some examples of the ability of the k-x, first one is low light with the 18-55mm lens

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html

This one is with the 55-300mm lens

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...birds-nyc.html
Old May 11, 2010, 3:59 PM   #3

and bhphoto is now selling k-x with a higher price tag,it now costs 50$ more.........wow,should i be surprised??
Old May 11, 2010, 4:03 PM   #4

The rebate $50 ended may 9th. That is why the price is back up there. adorama.com is selling it for 10 dollars more at 689 still. You need to add it to your cart to see the price
Old May 11, 2010, 5:04 PM   #5

So your choices are:
  1. Spend more now, and have a camera for the next six months that you can get support for, and maybe get other lenses later, or
  2. Wait and save some money on a camera and two lenses that you won't be able to get support for if you have a problem.
If it were just "spend more and have it now" versus "wait and save some money", I might have a problem. But not being able to get support for the one I waited for would clarify my position for me.

Give yourself a six month head start, and rest easy. Get the Canon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 5:27 PM   #6

Tcav has a good point, support may be important. I you want to save some money, the the 500D instead of the 550D. You may find the 2 lens kit with the 18-55 and 55-250 for just a little more then the 550D by itself, if you need a long zoom.
Old May 12, 2010, 8:46 AM   #7

thanks alot tcav........i didnt think that way before..........yeah i wont get any help for the pentax if it troubleshoots.so i think im gonna get canon.i want to buy a faster and brighter prime lense for low light portrait and landscapes..........can u pls suggest [email protected] and shoturtle
Old May 12, 2010, 9:00 AM   #8

The Canon 50mm f/1.8 II is a nice, inexpensive lens that's a good focal length for environmental and couples portraits, though it's a little too short for typical head-and-shoulders portraits.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 9:33 AM   #9

I agree go for the Canon 500D or 550D.. I personally would not wait and I think you would be more than happy with the Canon !
Old May 12, 2010, 10:46 AM   #10

The ef 50mm 1.8 MKII is a good starter prime. That match to either a T1i or T2i, make a good low light set package. But if you are not to big on the hd, get the T1i, and get the ef 50mm 1.4 USM instead. It is a better low light lens, as it auto focus better then the 50 1.8.