Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 12, 2010, 6:24 PM   #11

The 18-250 is a good lens, if i were to go with a one lens solution the pentax 18-250mm would be a good choice also besides the tamron 18-250.
Old May 12, 2010, 8:00 PM   #12

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I think that digsy want to reduce the size of her kit. A one lens solution appears to be preferable to carrying multiple lenses.
And that's why I suggested the 18-250. It's underrated, and seriously flexible. With a Kx in P mode, learning curve would not be steep. Since I got my K20D and 10-17, 18-250, 50/1.4, and AF360 flash a couple years ago, I've acquired many lenses, but the 18-250 is still on my camera most often. I drive and shuttle around Mexico and Central America a fair amount, and I find the 18-250 to be just the most utilitarian lens. I swap in other glass for special circumstances: a 24/2 or 58/2 or 85/2 for low light, a macro setup when needed, a 500/8 mirror for long reach. But the 18-250 fills most needs.

Again, the advantages of a dSLR over any P&S are better image quality, and room for expansion. I still carry my Sony DSC-V1 P&S wherever I go, but the K20D gives me much more detail and dynamic range.
Old May 13, 2010, 4:07 AM   #13

if i could get a 18-250 lens then that would solve all my DSLR problems!
I'm just not certain I could afford one though - more research needed!

Last edited by digsy; May 13, 2010 at 5:07 AM.
digsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:15 AM   #14

just an update on this

While I've by no means completely discounted a FZ38 or HS10 just yet I have swung pretty heavily towards getting a DSLR - having held both in my hands and had a play I'm way for comfortable with a dslr and deep down I think that's what I really want.
as i say, i'm not 100% though so keep on trying to pursuade me a super-zoom is the way to go - my bank would appreciate it!

Anyway, at the moment I'm looking at a canon 1000d with a Canon 18-55mm IS lens and a Tamron AF 70-300mm Di LD lens.
i can get that all separately for just 500 or just under depending on whether i go new or used tamron lens (there's about 30 in it).

ALternatively camerabox.co.uk has a bundle with canon 18-55mm IS and 50-250mm IS lenses for 510 which i'm also tempted by.
in everything i've read over the last few days though the tamron seemed the better lens plus I get a bit more zoom out of it.

do either of those sound like good packages for what I need? I'm a little worried about camerabox as reviews seem top veer between absolutely awful and waiting 5 months for refunds on products that were never in stock and never received, and wonderful, got it the next day everything perfect!

As soon as I get a chance I'm going to head into a store again and have another play with the FZ38 and the HS10, but I really worry if i don't get a DSLR i'll spend my whole trip wishing I had!

Thanks again for all your help

Last edited by digsy; Jun 2, 2010 at 9:15 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:52 AM   #15

i had the same problem with the tc and I decided to buy both , first I'll buy a super zoom , I will learn how to shoot pictures with it , If Im satisfied with the IQ , I wont go for a dslr , besides I buy a super zoom to shoot movies , I like zooming while recording so I can I things far away and the stereo sound over the Mono sound in most of DSLRs . Then when I get used to some shooting basic , If I want to upgrade , I will definately go for a DSLR .
rosora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:53 AM   #16

Hi there, digsy-

Thanks for hanging in there and being careful in making your choice. Considering your last three options, I like the one from www.camerabox.co.uk. It includes the 1000D body the canon 18-55mm and the Canon 55-250mm. That is really a great combination.

I shot with exactly that combination for almost a year, and then our son who has become quite a good photographer, said he really wanted to "barrow" that kit for some shooting. Well, here it is almost a year later and 1000D body and lenses have never returned home. It is hard to reprimand our son when he is doing so well with the kit, but I especially miss that 55-250mm lens as it was so nice and sharp.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by digsy View Post
Anyway, at the moment I'm looking at a canon 1000d with a Canon 18-55mm IS lens and a Tamron AF 70-300mm Di LD lens.
i can get that all separately for just 500 or just under depending on whether i go new or used tamron lens (there's about 30 in it).

ALternatively camerabox.co.uk has a bundle with canon 18-55mm IS and 50-250mm IS lenses for 510 which i'm also tempted by.
in everything i've read over the last few days though the tamron seemed the better lens plus I get a bit more zoom out of it.
The Canon 55-250 IS is sharper wide open than the Tamron 70-300 Di LD, but stopped down, they're about equal. The Canon has less chromatic aberration but more vignetting.

The Tamron has the extra reach, and the 1:2 macro compared to the Canon's 1:3.2. The Canon is stabilized, but the Tamron is less expensive (at least it is here in the US.)

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 AF (Tested)
... versus ...
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS (Tested)

If a good telephoto zoom lens is important to you, perhaps you can postpone that purchase until you can get the Canon 70-300 IS USM, which runs rings around them both.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (Tested)

Last edited by TCav; Jun 2, 2010 at 12:52 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

If a good telephoto zoom lens is important to you, perhaps you can postpone that purchase until you can get the Canon 70-300 IS USM, which runs rings around them both.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (Tested)
I would love to, but there's no postponing anything at the moment - i've only got one more pay cheque coming my way before I go on holiday, so the money is what it is, and i'm just going to try do the best I can with what I have.

As it stands, i'm actually veering towards the 70-300mm tamron lens - I've read a few reviews on here that said there wasn't much between it and the canon 55-250mm, it works out about 50 cheaper and I could do with the extra reach as I'll be on safari. i know neither of these are ideal wildlife lenses but again, trying to make the best out of what I can afford and I think the extra 50mm will come in handy!

Will probably order tomorrow unless I change my mind overnight again - I need to get my hands on this while I still have some time to play with and get used to it before I go away.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:16 PM   #19

digsy-

I applaud you. You are approaching this in a very logical and commonsense way. Sometimes, for me at least, the urge outweighs the commonsense unfortunately. Well done.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:12 PM   #20

Digsy,

If you go with the tamron 70-300, to get better results on the long end stop down to f11-14. It will make the photos sharper. At 5.6 it is very soft. And the extra 50mm will help out with the safari.