Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you go with the tamron 70-300, to get better results on the long end stop down to f11-14.
The Tamron 70-300 Di LD at 300mm is fine at f/8, and the further you stop it down the worse the CA gets.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:21 PM   #22

When I was playing around with it, f11 seem sharper the f8. But it could have been the copy I was playing around with at the stores. It may have seen some serious demo'ing
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:38 AM   #23

thanks guys, i'll def bear that in mind.
purchased the canon 1000d with 18-55mm IS lens last night from camerabox.co.uk despite my reservations about the company.
I've had a phone call this morning saying that despite it saying they had 7 in stock last night, there are apparently issues and my order may be delayed by 24 hours. 24 hours i can live with, as long as it doesn't turn into 24 days or me struggling to get a refund which are all issues I read about but decided to take the positive reviews over the negative ones... really hoping I don't regret that!
digsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:52 AM   #24

if time really is of the essence, you might want to cancel and try another store. i remember reading a thread somewhere that went many pages about this store, and a lot of people's orders were quite late, although they did finally arrive. i always check reseller ratings, and here's what users are saying:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Camerabox_co_uk
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:43 AM   #25

time isn't too much of an issue, I just don't want to be left waiting forever.
and rightly or wrongly, i decided to hope I would be one of the lucky people who have had no problems with them at all - it seems to be totally hit or miss, they're either excellent or completely awful... i'm praying i'll fall on the good side!
the guys today said he would do what he could to get my order out today, considering they claimed a possible 24 hour delay, i'll give them until Monday to despatch and then consider cancelling.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by digsy View Post
thanks guys, i'll def bear that in mind.
purchased the canon 1000d with 18-55mm IS lens last night from camerabox.co.uk despite my reservations about the company.
I've had a phone call this morning saying that despite it saying they had 7 in stock last night, there are apparently issues and my order may be delayed by 24 hours. 24 hours i can live with, as long as it doesn't turn into 24 days or me struggling to get a refund which are all issues I read about but decided to take the positive reviews over the negative ones... really hoping I don't regret that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by digsy View Post
... and rightly or wrongly, i decided to hope I would be one of the lucky people who have had no problems with them at all - it seems to be totally hit or miss, they're either excellent or completely awful... i'm praying i'll fall on the good side!
I think it's a little more miss than hit. You have to remember that some of the glowing reviews come from shills.

See http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Camerabox_co_uk

I think I'd have gone someplace else.

Last edited by TCav; Jun 3, 2010 at 7:51 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:39 AM   #27

damn, never seen sellerrating.com before
going to do a little more investigation today and then i may or may not cancel the order

thanks for the insight!

Last edited by digsy; Jun 3, 2010 at 8:44 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:18 AM   #28

just an update - got the camera today, haven't used it yet as I'm at work, but it all seems ok and I double checked it's not a grey market product.
Didn't have to wait too long in the end - ideally according to camerbox policy I should have had it on Friday, so there was a delay which probably stressed me out more than it would have normally because I read all those bad reviews!
In fairness though, bar one guy I spoke to (and I called them three times a day everyday from thursday until yesterday) they were actually really helpful and honest regarding their stock. I got consistent information each time I spoke to a different person which was in some way comforting.
All in all not as bad as some reviews have reported but I wouldn't use them if you're relying heaving on next day delivery.
One last issue - my memory cards.
I ordered one type of 8GB class 6 card and they sent me another type. Annoying not only because I researched which type of card I wanted and was specific, but mostly because the card I bought is worth 20 while the one they sent me is worth 11! So organising and return and refund now - we'll see how that goes, it may bring my initial 3 out of 5 star rating for them down to a 1 if it goes wrong!
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:28 AM   #29

At this point, I think I'd count my blessings and walk away. You got the camera you wanted, and a card that meets your requirements. So long as you weren't overcharged for it, see if that card works for you. If it does, fine; if it doesn't, buy another from somewhere else, and keep the one you've got as a spare.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:30 AM   #30

Also, keep a close watch on your credit card statements for a while.