Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 12, 2010, 12:59 PM   #1

Default superzoom or DSLR?

I'm going travelling round the world later in the year and wanted to get myself a decent camera to take with me as well as my compact point and shoot.

At the moment I'm struggling to decide between a DSLR or a superzoom - these are my thoughts:

superzoom sounds great because there's no faffing with changing lenses - my husband has a canon with 18-55 and 70-300mm lenses and the words I hear most are "i've got the wrong lens on!". He has a real nightmare wanting to take a picture and having the wrong lens and I'm a little wary of getting myself in the same stick and also of having to haul multiple lenses around 20 countries and change them in awkward times, or missing a shot because I'm changing my lens.

On the other hand, having played about with a canon 1000D and and fujifilm HS10 (the two options I'm looking at) I'm well aware that a superzoom is not a DSLR and that the quality of the pics is likely to be higher coming from a DSLR plus the 1000D just feels so much nicer in my hands!
That said, I'm clearly a beginner and I wonder if I would get and see the benefits of a DSLR or whether a superzoom would really do for my needs - I thought the superzoom would be easier, but the guy in jessops reckoned that I would get my head around the 1000D quicker than I would around the HS10? I'll also be using this daily for 18 months so hopefully it won't take me too long to get my head round things but I also don't want to outgrow a camera in a month either.

cost wise, there's a bit of a difference - I found an HS10 with card, bag, batteries etc for 420 while the 1000D with 18-55 and 70-300mm lenses would cost about 500 and then I've still got bags and cards and spare batteries to think about, but if the 1000D was really the way to go I would suck up the additional cost.

On one hand I think the HS10 would be the easiest option but on the other hand I'm worried of selling myself short and being very jealous of the shots my husband gets out of his DSLR!

Worth considering is I'm literally travelling around the world so I'll be going from game reserves and shooting far off animals in one country to massive mountains in the next, to cities and monuments and landscapes and people! a wide variety of uses in other words!

Any advice much appreciated.
digsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2010, 1:08 PM   #2

If jealousy is your motive, get the DSLR. Your husband can coach you on its intricacies. If, however, your desire is to get a camera that is convenient, fairly easy-to-use, above-average IQ from a bridge camera... HS-10.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 1:19 PM   #3

digsy-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

Each type of camera, super zoom, and DSLRs have a place in the photographic world. A lot of any decision as to camera type has to to with priorities.

*If portability is a high priority, the super zoom wins.
*If more than 50% of your shooting is in low light environments, then its a DSLR win.
*If creativity is a priority, either camera will do.

I would venture the opinion that with your husband shooting with a DSLR and you shooting with a super zoom, between the two of you, you have the best of both worlds. The learning curve will be much lower with the super zoom, and the kit will be much smaller. Photos should be fun. I lean toward a super zoom for you in terms of keeping everything fun and getting great memories.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 2:07 PM   #4

It really comes down to what you shoot, the HS10 is a really good megazoom. But it does have it's limitation. Like low light, shutter lag, AF tracking and dof.

If you need these aspect, the dslr is a better tool. But if you do not shoot heavy action, or very low light, and not looking for very shallow dof shot. The HS10 is the simpler system and will do a good job. But if you need these other aspects. The DSLR is the better tool for that kind of shooting.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 12, 2010 at 5:10 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 5:08 PM   #5

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

A superzoom P&S will be easier to learn and use. A dSLR will provide better-quality images. Consider a Pentax Kx (small, sturdy, not hard to use, and very good in low light) and a 18-250 superzoom lens. That's very close to an all-in-one package, yet you can grow with it over time. Think about it.
Old May 12, 2010, 5:11 PM   #6

Well that forces the next question! What is your budget? Rio Rico's suggested Pentax Kx with Tamron 18-250mm lens comes to around $850.00. That is a good set-up but costly with a much longer learning curve.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 12, 2010, 5:12 PM   #7

I would go with the pentax w lens kit with the 300mm for 690 over the 18-250, a bit better image quality.
Old May 12, 2010, 5:23 PM   #8

i'll look into the pentax cameras, thanks - not something I had considerd yet

as for budget, I didn't really want to break 500 for camera and lenses as I'll still have to then fork out for cards, bags, spare battery etc

overall as a bundle all in all I'd be looking at 550 max I think?
digsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 5:36 PM   #9

You can also look at the pentax2 lens kit with the 18-55 and 55-200 lens instead. In the states it is about 60 dollars less the the 55-300 lens kit. You just give up a bit of range.

But I shoot the K-x on occasion and it is really a great camera. It is also a great value, and it was name TIPA's best entry dslr.
Old May 12, 2010, 6:01 PM   #10

Shoturtle-

I think that digsy want to reduce the size of her kit. A one lens solution appears to be preferable to carrying multiple lenses.

Sarah Joyce