Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 12, 2010, 2:39 PM   #11

I have been trying to do a side by side comparison on snapsort.com and it looks like Sony H55 has the fastest continous shooting mode with 10 fps whereas Panasonic models such as ZS3 are more like 2.3 fps.

1.) Do you think Panasonic cameras picture quality is significantly better than this sony model?
2.) Would I notice the difference between 10.1MP vs 14.1 MP? I don't usually print real large pictures. ZS3 is 10.1MP with 12x zoom but H55 is 14.1MP with 10x zoom. I don't have enough knowledge to know which one is better over the other one.....
3.) Flash range of H55 is 3.8m vs 5.3 m for ZS3. Is that too significant of a difference you think? I want the continous shooting speed but if the pictures are not going to turn out good, then what's the point?

Geez... the more I dig deeper into this the more confused I am getting... lol
TwiceBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 2:41 PM   #12

The 10fps is a bit of a rouse. If you use it your camera is locked up for 16 sec after that 1 burst.
Old May 12, 2010, 2:43 PM   #13

Sarah, I personally haven't seen the camera, but noted the model name while I was reading up on some forum regarding product reviews... Maybe it was a typing mistake on that website I noted the model name from.
Old May 12, 2010, 2:45 PM   #14

Oh.. nooo.. It was me. LOL
I just looked at my notes again and the correct model name should have been ZS3 on my list and not ZS2. Sorry guys. My bad.
Old May 12, 2010, 2:46 PM   #15

Wow. I certainly wouldn't want the camera to lock up for 16 seconds...
Hmmmm.... Is continous shooting speed of 2.3 fps good enough or would I find a better model without making the camera lock up??
Old May 12, 2010, 2:48 PM   #16

Let's move through your requitrements:

#1 Vibrant Photos- a lot has to do with the photographer's skil and the camera's capability. However, good photo editing can imrove any photo and make it more vibrant.

#2 Only DSLR camera have the leat lag time. P+S camera have improved a great deal in the last three year and gotten much better. But absolute instant release is impossible for any camera, because cameras are mechanical.

#3Large zoom is a non issue. You can easily select a 30X optical zoom camera.

#4 Flash everyone takes photos indoor and outdoors. Inside you must use use your camera's built-in flash and be respectful of your camera's Flash Range, the distance from camera to subject, measured in feet, where you camera's achieves good exposure. If you exceeed your camera's Flash Range then you have to add additional light. A Slave Flash can be a big help when you need to exceed your camera's Flas Range.

#5 Pano photos can be easily done in camera or with software. Take your choice, you are not limited to a particular camera brand.

#6 Most every full featured P+S camera shoots video, and today most allow zooming while filming. The question should be this: Is HD video a priority?

#7 Camera size: everyone wants a pocket size camera that has all the DSLR features. However, compact zoom cameras which have only a LCD on which to frame your photos are a pain in bright sunlight. For not much more a camera like the Panasonic FZ-35 give you full manual controls, HD video with stereo sound, and a great EVF so you are not battling the sun.

#8 Low noise: Due to the small imagers used in P+S cameras the inability to use very high ISO settings and noise are inherent to P+S cameras. For example, the FZ-35 easily uses ISO 800 and is as noise free as you will get. But it sells for $330.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 3:03 PM   #17

Here is your camera list:

Samsung HZ15W
Panasonic ZS2?? perhaps the ZS1?
Sony H55
Panasonic ZR1
Sony H20

I either own or have used each of the cameras on your list.

The Samsung HZ15W is a price camera. It has only average image quality.

The Panasonic ZS1 is a gang buster camera for its $179.00 price. But if framing your photo on a LCD is a chore , it is not the camera for you. It does normal not HD video and you can zoom.

The Panasonic ZS3 is the HD video equipped twin to the ZS1. It has a LCD with twice as many pixels that is good but could still be a pin in bright sunshine. It has most of your "requirements" but is beyond your budget.

The Sony H-55 is the Sony HX5 but with a CCD imager rather than the newer CMOS imager. The 14mp imager is prone to noise at high ISO settings, but it meets most of your "requirements."

The Panasonic ZR1 is a good pocket size camera, but with just 8X optical zoom, I do not believe it meets your zoom requirement.

The Sony H-20 is now risen in price beyong your budget and it is in short supply.

Now it is your turn to provide some feedback.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 12, 2010 at 3:16 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 3:23 PM   #18

I have added the ZS3 to your camera list in my reply. See post #17. I think that you are getting carried away with continuous shooting speed. In the majority of cases, we take photos one at a time.

You also have to consider the color produced by various cameras. I like Canon color the best, followed by the Panasonic color, followed by the Sony color.

I will check back later, but as requested I discussed each one of your requirement individually and you have made no comments on that.

Today we are packing to leave for a contract teaching digital cameras and acting as the resident glacier and animal experts. We will be doing 8 lectures on a 7 day cruise. Tomorrow we drive to Seattle. So my best time to discuss your needs is today, tomorrow will be a lot of driving, and I will be away from the Forum after that till around 5/24. I want to help but my time is limited.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 12, 2010, 4:07 PM   #19

Sarah thank you soo much for providing so much detailed info for me. Sorry, I had to take a lunch break and couldn't get back to you sooner (I am actually at work - oopss).. Also, I was multi tasking and comparing models as I am interacting on this forum.

Now my comments:

Yes, I realize we take mostly one picture at a time, but sometimes, I want to capture a smile or a silly think my toddlers are doing and I figured, I would have better chances to get that on picture if I have a fast continous shooting option. One out of the 10 picture might be THE ONE I have been trying to get for the past month. LOL
That is the reason why I am obsessed with this feature. They are moving so fast that with my current camera, by the time I push the button and the camera takes the picture (with however many second delay), my son or daughter has moved away and I have missed that silly face I have been trying to get on picture. You know what I mean? I know, I will never reach the real DSLR feature but I am just trying to find the best within my means

When I am looking for prices for ZS3 some models says ZS3K, ZS3A or ZS3S. What does that mean? Also what's the difference between ZR3 vs ZS3? --> PLEASE DISREGARD THIS QUESTION. I FOUND MY ANSWER ONLINE

Anway, if guys think that ZS3 hits pretty much most of my requirements that I am looking for, I can probably wait a little bit and increase my budget to $300 and I think I can get it for that. Do you think this camera is worth for the price?

Last edited by TwiceBlessed; May 12, 2010 at 4:20 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 4:24 PM   #20

But what happened to the work I attempted in post #6 and #7 to get more feed back from you??

The letter designator after ZS3 is just the camera color designator. if you don't absolutely need HD video, it is the ZS3.

If you MUST HAVE a high continuous rate then its the Sony H55, based on what little you have said. But be ready to wait while the H-55 processes all those photos. 16 seconds, like shoturtle told you.

I am off to pack now.

Sarah Joyce