Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 13, 2010, 5:49 PM   #81
Super Moderator

if you can go see it in person. check it out. thats why craigslist can be a little better. usually you can meet and try everything out.
Old May 13, 2010, 7:56 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceBlessed View Post
I found one used ZS3 through craigslist. The seller says that he owned the camera for 6 months only and took about 200 pictures with it. He is selling the camera with everything that came with the original box. He was selling it for $230 but when I asked him if he would accept $200, he said yes.

What do you say? Should I go for it? Or do you think it is too risky and I should just pay more and get the brand new?
Like Dustin says, you can give it a try and see how it looks and make sure it works. That's a big plus. Not a bad price and you won't have to wait for delivery. The guy is local and if it's not what he says it is, you can call him on it.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 8:07 PM   #83

Do you have a Costco close by? Someone had posted that they picked up a left over ZS3 new at their Costco for $199 plus tax. Worth a look or a phone call anyway.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 8:37 PM   #84

I do have few Costco's nearby actually but their website didn't show any ZS3 but only ZS6 that's why I never thought of actually going in (or calling) to check if they have any left over. I will do that tomorrow. (I am off from work tomorrow and will have more time on hand to a more dedicated search lol)

In the meantime, I would like to know your thoughts on the extended warranties. If I were to buy it from a store, do you think buying an extended warranty on a digital camera is a smart think to do or is it a sucker deal?
TwiceBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 8:39 PM   #85

Especially if I am buying a refurbished camera from a reputable store, would it then make sense to buy an extended warranty ? Usually they come with 90 day warranty anyway, but what I am talking about is like a 3 year extended warranty.

Any thoughts on that?
Old May 13, 2010, 8:41 PM   #86

I keep my equipment for a while so it makes sense for me, as I do use my gear allot, but I only get it for my dslr, and not my point and shoot. So it really up to you, if you take good care of it, and plan on keeping it. Then it may be worth getting an extended warranty.
Old May 13, 2010, 8:47 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceBlessed View Post
Especially if I am buying a refurbished camera from a reputable store, would it then make sense to buy an extended warranty ? Usually they come with 90 day warranty anyway, but what I am talking about is like a 3 year extended warranty.

Any thoughts on that?
That is one area that I've not considered so, can't give you an answer. I suppose if it gives you more peace of mind and they actually honor it, it would be a good deal (depending on the cost it would add overall). You'll have to excuse me. I tend to be VERY cynical and skeptical when it comes to manufacturers standing by their word these days.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 9:40 PM   #88

Blessed-

I think your peace of mind is worth a warranty. But do not buy a store warranty, there is too mark-up in their warranties.Use the internet and go direct to Square Trade Warranties (www.squaretrade.com) and use the coupon code twtyoff which will give you 20% off the normal price. If you purchase the one on Craig's List enter that you purchased the camera on E-Bay. If you by refurbished, just put in that it is refurbished.

Square Trade is on the up and up and they are well priced. It was a long drive today. But we are in position to board the cruise tomorrow. Good luck with your camera search.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 11:27 PM   #89

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Oh, so it's warranties, is it now? I've been buying electronics and optics for close to 50 years. Everything comes with manufacturer's warranties, some with extended warranties. In all that time, I have availed myself of warranty service precisely once. My first Sony DSC-V1 was on a tripod that blew over in a desert wind, square upon the extended lens. That was fixed cheap, but it didn't stay fixed -- that's why I'm on my third V1 now. (The second went bouncing down some rocks.)

My point: Biz folk love to sell extended warranties, because they're hardly ever used. All too often, a device fails just out of warranty -- those warranty periods aren't picked out of thin air, y'know. Buying a device with some credit cards will give an extended warranty, and that's worth it 'cause there's no extra charge. Paying for a warranty... sorry, that's for suckers IMHO.
Old May 14, 2010, 1:04 AM   #90

Okay here is the deal.... I found one used camera on Adorama (I hope no one snatches it now that I said it out laud. I don't want to jinx it. lol). It is $144 + about $6 shipping charge. And it is rated as condition V (very good).

I have called them up and asked them to clarify the condition. The guy on the phone said that it has minor scrapes but nothing that would affect the functionality. No damage on the lens or anything. He said the scrapes are mostly where the buttons are because of use. He also added how extensive testing they are making and tried to assure me that the product is good condition. And of course it comes with 90 day warranty.

I have asked if they provide extended warranty (since I am a little nervous buying used camera). He said for $39 I can get a 3 year extended warranty from a third party company that they have been working with for over 30 or 40 years or so. He told me what a huge company they are and that they are all over the world not only in the USA (but I forgot their name, duh!) Anyway, this warranty wouldn't cover the accidental damage due to drops or so (cause that would have cost me somewhere up in the $90's or so.)

Now, what do you think? Shall I go for it? Both the camera and the extended warranty? or just the camera and forget warranty???

All and all it would cost me $189 with the extended warranty.... Best deal I found so far.

There was also someone else on craigslist (another state) selling his ZS3 for $180. (The one in my state for $200 is gone). This guy advertised his camera as in "mint condition". I was thinking if the one at the store doesn't work out or something, I could maybe convince him sell me this camera over ebay (so I would also be protected with buyer's protection policy with ebay and paypal) and could get additional extended warranty from a third party company....

I don't know, am I over thinking this ....

Now that I know what camera I want to buy, I am just excited and want to get my hands on one as soon as I can )

Please share your thoughts...