Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 12, 2010, 12:02 PM   #1

Default Pls help me find the best camera for me.

I am new here and I have no experience or knowledge on cameras other than using point and shoot cameras for my kids.
I am looking to buy my first somewhat decent camera. And I need help from the experts.
Here is what I am looking for.
1. Good vibrant picture color/good overall picture quality (I realize it will also depend on my ability to take a good picture )
2. Least lag time. I would like to be able to take pictures fast. I am tired of missing the best pictures of my 2 year old toddlers.
3. Large zoom (I am hoping for 8x or more)
4. I take pictures both in daylight and at home in low light conditions (mostly pictures of my kids and I would also use this camera for vacation time for outdoor pictures)
5. A good panoramic picture capability would be nice but not a deal breaker.
6. Must be able to shoot a video (and can zoom in and out while shooting the video)
7. It would be nice if the camera is compact but again it is not a deal breaker. Features are more important to me than the size.
8. Low noise
And most importantly the price cannot exceed $250 (If it is an extra ordinary camera, I might be able to push up to $300 but I would like to avoid that if I can)
I am open to all brands/models and would like to hear your advise.
Thank you for your time.
TwiceBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2010, 12:27 PM   #2

TwiceBlessed-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

With your $250 budget you are going to find very slim pickings. The are a lot of DSLR like qualities wrapped in to your requirements. Some compromises are needed or perhaps an increased budget.

Right now the only thing in your price range that come close is the Sony H-55 at $249.00, and that might not be a 100% match. Indoor photos are best taken using the camera's built-in flash unit and staying within Flash Range.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 12:42 PM   #3

What features from my above list would I be compromising if I were to choose to buy Sony H-55? Would it help if I used Zeikos Slave Flash ?(I read some post about it here somewhere that it helped with indoor and low light conditions)
Old May 12, 2010, 12:43 PM   #4

By the way, thanks so much for being so quick to respond to my post
Old May 12, 2010, 12:51 PM   #5

lag and low light it the biggest, no point and shoot can avoid the shutter lag issue, and none are great in low light.
Old May 12, 2010, 1:11 PM   #6

I realize I am not going to get a DSLR quality in P&S camera, but what I am after is to find out what is the best P&S camera that stands out to other competitor models in regards to the feature bundle of lag time, picture quality, video with zoom.

If there are some new models that are about to come to market, I can wait another month or so to get it. I am not particularly in a rush but I would like to have the new camera before the summer days hit in Oregon
Old May 12, 2010, 1:13 PM   #7

For 250 I would really look at the panasonic zs3 or zs5 if you want 12-14x zoom. They area really good camera. It you can accept less zoom around 8x the panasonic zr1 is a great little camera.
Old May 12, 2010, 1:13 PM   #8

From all the forums I have read so far I got these models that looks like would be a good option:
Samsung HZ15W
Panasonic ZS2--> ooops this should have read ZS3!!
Sony H55
Panasonic ZR1
Sony H20

Which one do you think would be the best choice and why (unless you are thinking of a different one)?

Last edited by TwiceBlessed; May 12, 2010 at 1:44 PM. Reason: I typed the model name incorrectly. sorry.
Old May 12, 2010, 1:18 PM   #9

if you need a wide angle for group shot the h20 will be a little tight. but all listed are pretty good cameras. I just have a liking for the panasonics in your price range. If you can go to 350 range the hx5v, ZS7, and SX10 are very nice cameras.

The ZS1 is nice, but you can get the ZS3 for about the same price now.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 12, 2010 at 1:39 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 1:31 PM   #10

I teach camera professionally, I own more than 100 camera. But I have not heard of a Panasonic model called the ZS2??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote