Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 13, 2010, 4:42 AM   #1

Default Superzoom contridiction

I'm looking to get an upper end point and shoot. I've done a good bit of reading and I have a pretty good idea how these cameras are rated online. I passed on the Nikon P100 due to rated poor image quality and the Cannon SX20 was a close consideration. Eventually, I decided that the Panasonic FZ35 was a good option for me, with good rated image quality, filter threads, and such.

I decided that I should go see and handle the cameras before I purchased. So, I went to a local camera store. They had several of these upper end point and shoots, including the FZ35, but the people in the shop took a pretty firm stand that the Nikon P100 was the best option in this category. I even went to a couple other shops and they said similar things, stating that the P100 produced good images. One guy did admit that the older Nikon Model (P90) did have a lot of noise, and if the P100 wasn't out he would recommend the FZ35.

Now, I do realize that they could be trying to sell a particular camera to make a higher commission, but in one store the P100 was selling for less than others. Perhaps not all of the people I talked with, but I pretty sure some of them, if not all, were honestly recommending the P100 as a better option.

I'm not really sure what to think, as I've read a lot of good things about the FZ35 and not so good things about the P100. However, I'm in some ways inclined to be more convinced by a person I'm actually talking to in person. I also realize that some of the misinformation may be because the P100 was released very recently and not as many people own the camera.

Any thoughts?

On a side note, I haven't read too many people mention it, but I'm thinking the ability to put a filter on the FZ35 is a notable advantage that it has over others.

Last edited by egroeg555; May 13, 2010 at 4:45 AM.
egroeg555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2010, 8:55 AM   #2

Yes, I just learned that Nikon has a commission bonus program in effect right now because sales are lagging. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out why they are all quoting the Nikon "talking points."

The p-100 does indeed have lots of noise and poor image quality. That has been well documented.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 9:06 AM   #3

wow i'm surprised the Canon isn't getting more talk . I know my s5is takes excellent pictures short of an indoor rink. I am quite happy with photos like this from 3rd base (my kids)
Attached Images

Last edited by jmp2204; May 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added attachment
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Yes, I just learned that Nikon has a commission bonus program in effect right now because sales are lagging.
Sarah Joyce
Well this would definitely explain things. I'm kinda curious how you found this out though. Not exactly the sort of thing a sales guy would want people to know.
egroeg555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 9:58 PM   #5

Take a look at the number of posts I have made on just this site, it 14,200+. In addition I am active on 3 other sites. I have worked in a camera store for years myself, I still have a lot of very good industry connections, and word does get around.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote