Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 13, 2010, 7:49 AM   #1

Default Which compact digital?

Hi everybody!
I would say "I am a serious amateur photographer", started looong ago with canon AE-P, passed the last 8 years in compact digital cameras, and need advice about changing my (rather good) olympus C-750. I recently bought Nikon P100, but I, by no meens, intend to keep it. I am an architect, so I need wide angle. I have a critical eye, so I need image quality. I like "production" so I need some control on the camera. I am new in this forum so I need your advice, although I already have sorted out four compact digital cameras.
Thank you,
alexander
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2010, 9:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibaris View Post
I am an architect, so I need wide angle. I have a critical eye, so I need image quality. I like "production" so I need some control on the camera.
Welcome to the forum. Based on the above, I would say you need a DSLR.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Super Moderator

really, a nice entry-level dslr with an ultrawide lens is the best setup for architecture, particularly if you plan to do anything indoors. compact cameras don't have lenses that are wide enough, have a ton of distortion, and don't have the high iso capabilities to do anything indoors.

bear in mind though, you are going to be spending over 1000USD for the camera plus lens.

the only compact that does reasonably well for architecture is the Panasonic LX3, it has a wide 24mm lens and does ok at high iso's. but keep in mind this is not on the same playing field as the dslr.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 11:31 AM   #4

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
but keep in mind this is not on the same playing field as the dslr.
If kibaris is considering a compact / P&S camera, almost any m4:3 would be better. And any APS-C dSLR would be MUCH better. Many in the Pentax community doing interior architectural photography favor the DA12-24 but it's neither light nor cheap. Others might recommend the DA14/2.8 or DA15/4; again, neither are cheap. If such ultrawides aren't needed, and especially if a manual lens is acceptable, the lens choices are much cheaper. My Lentar (Tokina) 21/3.8 cost me less than US$25; that's what I use on my K20D for architectural shots. A Kx with the 18-55 kit lens would be quite suitable for such work.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I guess what we need now from our original poster is a budget and a portability requirement.

If price and size are not factors, then it becomes pretty easy. A canon T1i with a Tokina 11-16 2.8 would be superb. Tokina ultrawides are excellent, I have the 12-24 F4 on my 50d. The aforementioned Pentax KX with the Pentax 12-24 (nearly identical optics to the Tokina 12-24) is a great choice. And there are of course similarly good choices amongst the other brands.

M4/3 is a compact option. And I do love my EPL1, however its not cheap to go wide in this system, and more expensive system with ultra-wide compared to a dslr. However if portability is a concern and price is not a real factor. The EPL1 and a Oly 9-18 would be a great choice.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 4:42 AM   #6

Thank you all for your answer!
Actually, I got tired of carrying my SLR plus several lenses, converter and flash etc, etc, so now I am aiming a high quality compact digital. After reading reviews I am thinking one of the following:
1. Fuji FinePix HS 10
2. Canon PowerShot SX20 is
3. Canon PowerShot SX1 is
4. Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ38
5. Sony CyberShot DSC HX1
So, any suggestions on which to exclude from the list, and which not?
Thanks, again
alexander

Last edited by kibaris; May 14, 2010 at 4:45 AM.
Old May 14, 2010, 10:09 AM   #7

Alexander-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The HS-10 has a 24mm wide angle, and the FZ-35 and HX1 have a 28mm wide angle. Forget the rest. Any of those three would serve you well. While the FZ-35/38 is the least expensive, it is one of the best, so don't overlook it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I guess what we need now from our original poster is a budget and a portability requirement.

If price and size are not factors, then it becomes pretty easy. A canon T1i with a Tokina 11-16 2.8 would be superb. Tokina ultrawides are excellent, I have the 12-24 F4 on my 50d. The aforementioned Pentax KX with the Pentax 12-24 (nearly identical optics to the Tokina 12-24) is a great choice. And there are of course similarly good choices amongst the other brands.

M4/3 is a compact option. And I do love my EPL1, however its not cheap to go wide in this system, and more expensive system with ultra-wide compared to a dslr. However if portability is a concern and price is not a real factor. The EPL1 and a Oly 9-18 would be a great choice.
Agree with Dustin...the Tokina 11-16 is a great Realtors lens for taking interior pictures but is very sharp if you stabilize it well with any UW's details can get lost quickly without stabilization...

The one thing I would add is a Canon T1i and a Tokina 11-16 are relatively expensive, but if you did decide to go another route getting all or most of your money back is easy through Amazon returns or reselling, as these high end items DO NOT lose their value quickly at all...I am still amused at how well camera equipment holds it's value...so you can try a lot of different options and not lose a lot coin in the process additionally get the correct photo tool for the task at hand...the Canon 10-22 is no slouch either it's just not as fast as the Tokina...

Well two things...lol..if you read the reviews closely on the Oly EPL1 you will notice that there are Pro's that are getting as good of shots with it as their $5000 Pro Grade DSLR's...I am waiting until they get more Zoom Lens available for the M4/3's...

Last edited by LTZ470; May 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 11:07 AM   #9

LTZ-

You know that the Panasonic 45-200mm will work on the EPL1, does that help?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 2:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Alexander-
The HS-10 has a 24mm wide angle, and the FZ-35 and HX1 have a 28mm wide angle. Forget the rest. Any of those three would serve you well. While the FZ-35/38 is the least expensive, it is one of the best, so don't overlook it.
Sarah Joyce
Thank you Sarah! It seems that the 'big' ones (Canon+Nikon) did not succeed in this category! Please tell me your opinion: Would you exclude the HX1? And if budget is not a problem, which one (between fz-35 and HS-10 would YOU choose, and WHY? I hope these are not some kind of ...personal or indiscreet questions!
alexander