Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 13, 2010, 6:06 PM   #11

FWIW, a Sony A500 with the 18-55 kit lens, the 55-200, plus the 50/1.8 sells for $1,075.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 6:07 PM   #12

the 50 1.4 is still the better lens, and you get 100mm of more reach with the pentax. If you go with the short zoom kit, it is just over 900 dollars with the 50 1.4. And you get HD video. And a metal body vs all plastic.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 13, 2010 at 6:22 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 9:21 PM   #13

Alright, shoturtle what if I could get either of them for the same price?
=)
jennyfurwhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 9:25 PM   #14

Seeing as how a slightly used (6500 shutter count) 40D and a new Pentax are going for about the same.
Old May 13, 2010, 9:53 PM   #15

Also, TCav, I would worry less about the Pentax or the Canon because I think Sony spreads themselves out too thinly what with all the games, TV's, laptop, and anything else under the rainbow. That's why I'm rather cautious about Sony, but I'll check it out and see if I like it.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfurwhen View Post
Alright, shoturtle what if I could get either of them for the same price?
=)
Are we talking about the k-x and the 450d, I would get the K-x. It just a newer gen camera, and have allot more features.

With the 40D and the K-x I would still go with the K-x, it is a better low light camera. And the K-x is has a very good AF system, so the 40D is not that much better. And with a K-x, you get the full warranty. If you are in the EU you get 2 years. The k-x has more features also.
Old May 14, 2010, 6:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfurwhen View Post
Also, TCav, I would worry less about the Pentax or the Canon because I think Sony spreads themselves out too thinly what with all the games, TV's, laptop, and anything else under the rainbow. That's why I'm rather cautious about Sony, but I'll check it out and see if I like it.
Actually, Sony bought the camera division from Konica Minolta, so it's not like they've started from scratch.
Old May 14, 2010, 7:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Actually, Sony bought the camera division from Konica Minolta, so it's not like they've started from scratch.
No. But their direction with it has been very puzzling indeed. By most accounts their marketing approach over the last year has been a complete failure - a shotgun of entry level DSLRs and a couple full frame with nothing in the middle. And their latest announcement of EVIL cameras with still no midrange DSLR makes people wonder. Sony is an electronics company - NOT a photography company. If they think the money is in EVIL you better believe DSLRs will get the short shift. I can't say I blame them. Sony had great products with the A100, a700 and a850. But while their collection of entry level cameras are good their commitment to aps-c growth is questionable. Right now Pentax seems like a much better option if full frame is not in a person's future.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 7:58 AM   #19

I agree that Sony's dSLR offerings are odd, and I've read reports that Sony believes that the A550 is the replacement for the A700, which is clearly not true. Without a doubt, they're still wet behind the ears when it comes to marketing dSLRs, but for all intents and purposes, they've been making SLRs and dSLRs as long as anybody. And Sony is one of the premier sources for professional video cameras, so they have a way of finding out what pros need and giving it to them; that just hasn't filtered down to the dSLRs yet.

In other words, it's not a problem of "making", it's a problem of "selling".
Old May 14, 2010, 12:27 PM   #20

They are getting rid of one FF camera on their DSLR line up I think, the a900. leaving only the a850 for ff shooters with sony.