Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 13, 2010, 2:35 PM   #1

Default Pentax KX vs Canon 40D vs Canon 450D

So I was dead set on getting a 40D, til I realized just how big it was, but I figure I would probably get used to the size after a while. (I'm only about 5' so I have pretty small hands) but then, I read about the KX which seems like an awesome value especially since it has IS built in and I'm just an amateur starting out, but... more of an advanced amateur, if you will. The 450D is in the same league as the KX but I haven't read much on it because I'm mostly focused on the 40D and the KX for now.

I will be taking a lot of indoor pictures (my house has VERY low light) and I do have a dog that I love taking pictures of so action shots as well. If I do get a Canon, I do not plan on buying any Canon lenses (but I already have a 50mm f1.8 II from an old film SLR) unless I become really obsessed with this hobby and plan to buy Sigma and Tamron lenses and the same goes for Pentax. An alloy body also isn't a deal breaker for me and a lower price would be nice seeing because I'm a college student, but I'll save up if need be and I plan on buying the camera used. My debate was, does the KX or the 40D have better AF in low light?

Last edited by jennyfurwhen; May 13, 2010 at 2:37 PM.
jennyfurwhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2010, 2:43 PM   #2

The canon does have better AF, but the k-x is pretty good still. The k-x is smaller the the 450D also. I shoot a 500D and a k-x. The K-x can hold it's own against the 500D in the AF department and low light, as it is the only other compact dslr besides canon that can shoot at 12800iso. And at 3200 the photos are very very good, and at 6400iso it is okay. And 12800 iso is acceptable.

Between the 450D and the K-x, the K-x is in the league of the 500D but price in the 450D league. It was awarded 2010 TIPA best entry dslr.

But if you do not need great low light, the 450D is a great camera, and shoot great up to it's 1600iso max.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...birds-nyc.html
Here are some samples of the k-x in action,
Old May 13, 2010, 2:43 PM   #3

Pentax KX should be fine for what you want to do. The 40d will have better focus TRACKING than the KX but that's more important for more serious sports/wildlife. For the occasional running dog the KX will do great. It's great in low light and quick to focus in low light. But with kit lens you'll need to use flash for indoor pics if your subject might move. That's true in either system.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 3:30 PM   #4

Ah, I see
I was also wondering, I've saw and read a LOT about 40D focusing problems, and some people have contributed it to the fault of the user, not the camera. But with the 50D, I couldn't find any complaints on problems with focusing, why is that? Did Canon improve the AF for easier use?
Old May 13, 2010, 3:30 PM   #5

And thank you very much for your input!
Old May 13, 2010, 3:32 PM   #6

Yes they did improve allot on the 50D. The 40D is an older camera 2 gen back.
Old May 13, 2010, 4:25 PM   #7

The K-x would be a much better choice than the 450D for what you want to do, but so would the 500D, and the 500D can use the 50/1.8 you already have. The downside of the K-x is that Pentax doesn't have a 50/1.8, though it does have a 50/1.4 that is comparably priced with Canon's 50/1.4, it's much more expensive than the Canon 50/1.8, especially since you already have one.

So while the K-x is cheaper than the 500D, you'll have to pay extra for a lens for it, while you already have one for the Canon.

Perhaps, you'd be better off with a Sony A500. It's got IS in the body, like the K-x, is good in low light, like the K-x and 500D, and has a reasonably priced 50/1.8.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 4:38 PM   #8

The a500 is a larger camera, that is one of the reason the 40D is not as desirable. And the sony compact dslr in the A3xx series are just not as good for the op's needs.
Old May 13, 2010, 5:11 PM   #9

If it matters at all, I was at Best Buy, which... didn't have that great of a selection... and the 50D was there beside a couple of Rebels and a Nikon D90 and a Nikon D5000 which all felt pretty light. I don't mind the weight *too* much however, it was more of a "Wow, that's hefty," like a brick.
Old May 13, 2010, 5:49 PM   #10

T1i, T2i, K-x, D90 and d5000 does HD, 50D do not,

50D fastest burst rate at 6+fps.

T1i, t2i, 50D, K-x all shoot at 12800iso.

T1i, T2i, 50D, D90 largest lens selection.
K-x has a very good mid grade lenses selection, but not as many inexpensive entry level lenses the canon and nikon have

Price wise and capability, the K-x is the best value match with fantastic capability. It is 690 dollars with the 2 lens kit 55-300 and the 18-55, and about 60 dollars less if you opt for the 55-200 over the 300.

But that said the canon or nikon 50mm 1.8 are good primes for the price. For pretty much the same money as the canon rebels with 2 lenses, you can get the k-x with 2 lenses, and add the better FA 50mm 1.4. It will all be just over 1000 dollars.