Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 14, 2010, 2:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It really does not matter that much, the 500D can shoot everything pretty much. So can the pentax.
But for some things the Pentax is better than the Canon, and for others the Canon is better than the Pentax. Which is true of any two brands. ... or cameras, for that matter.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 2:12 PM   #12

But having shoot the pentax k-x and the 500D side by side for the last 3 months on many occasions. They both can shoot in pretty much ever condition, low light, action. landscape, portraits. The difference are not that great where one is better then the other. The Canon AF is better, the Pentax does control noise better at the higher iso. But both will do the job well in the department the other has the edge.
Old May 14, 2010, 2:25 PM   #13

Agreed. Neither of them is particularly bad at anything, but one might be better than the other for something. And for that reason, we should know what the OP has in mind.
Old May 14, 2010, 2:49 PM   #14

they actually are pretty much neck and neck in pretty much every department. Canon just blast pass the k-x in the lens department. But shooting wise they are so close, that it is a coin flip on most other photography aspects.
Old May 14, 2010, 3:26 PM   #15

So if you also happened to have access to a Sony A550, would you need a three sided coin? Throw in a D90 and you'd need a four sided coin?

The people that come here asking for guidance shouldn't just have their preconceived notions validated. If there's a difference, they should know about it.
Old May 14, 2010, 3:34 PM   #16

I shot the d90, and the a500, they are a little bit larger camera. So they are not in the same market segment as the compact dslr like the d5000, k-x or 500d. Not every one wants a larger camera.

But with what the OP was asking about in the compact dslr category, 500D, d5000, and d3000. And my answer to the OP's question was base on those choices. They may have a reason of wanting a particular brand. I mention the k-x in the compact category, but the op wants a canon. So it really is a great camera that can shoot pretty much everything. And the OP was not interested in a different brand and I respect that.

The 500D is as capable as the a550 or the D90 actually in most respects. The 550D might actually be ahead of both the D90 and A550 in some account.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 15, 2010 at 12:14 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 10:55 AM   #17

I would like to take some scenery and portrait but have no experience with it ><..should i attend class?or just take some time learn by myself?

Last edited by clement91; May 15, 2010 at 8:44 PM.
clement91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 11:49 PM   #18

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clement91 View Post
I would like to take some scenery and portrait but have no experience with it ><..should i attend class?or just take some time learn by myself?
Classes can help, indeed. It depends on your own best way of learning -- do you do better with instruction, or by working things out for yourself? You might try online courses for the basic, and in-person instruction for specifics and criticism -- or vice-versa!

There are many books available covering the technical and customary and creative aspects of photography. You could just take yourself to a public library and read everything available. Especially with portraits, you should look at books that show how light can be used. And look at general collections of photos, especially those that tell how the shots were made.

Have fun!
Old May 15, 2010, 11:53 PM   #19

Clement91,

There is also allot of youtube video that can help, www.dslrtips.com have some good instructional video on dslr shooting. If you are a do it yourself kinda person.

But if you are better in the class room environment, most junior collages in the states offer photography classes. And they are helpful.
Old May 16, 2010, 7:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clement91 View Post
I would like to take some scenery and portrait ...
Actually, due to it's narrower angle of view, I think you'd be better off with something other than a Canon. A 17mm lens has a 77 angle of view on a Nikon, Pentax and Sony, but only a 75 angle of view on a Canon. That difference may seem minor, but it can help when stitching two images together. On the other hand, the slightly narrower angle of view can help with portrait photography, but the difference isn't as pronounced with longer focal lengths.