Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 14, 2010, 5:47 AM   #1

Default Sony HX5 or Ricoh CX3?!

Hi folks,

Been floating round this forum for a few weeks now as I'm looking to replace my faithful old Sony T9 for something a bit more punchy.

I'm basically caught between the Sony HX5 & the Ricoh CX3, could I get anyone's thoughts on these 2 cameras & which you think is best. I'm edging towards the HX5 as I'm a massive Sonyphile anyway & the low light performance looks fantastic. I have some serious concerns about the NR though & some sample photos I'm seen just look too soft. Again, thoughts welcome.

Obviously if anyone feels the the sx210 or the TZ7 / 10 are better than either of these, please tell me why!

Great work guys, thanks for reading & I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Ozzy
ozzy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2010, 10:06 AM   #2

Take a closer look at the ZS7 even the ZS3 if you don't require GPS and you like more control Panasonic has really impressed me and I own Sanyo, Sony, Flip, Canon, VIO, Etc...I just sent the HX5 back, it's not that great, but I don't want to bash it as some people love it...I think the SX210 has some issues with lens shadow using the flash, I don't own it but you would think lens shadow wouldn't be a problem on a P&S?
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...sharpness.html
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 10:58 AM   #3

I agree with LTZ 100%.

The Sony HX5 has a lot of noise reduction and fine detail smearing. I got the Panasonic ZS7, but felt the GPS, which I don't use, was too much of a drain on the battery, so I returned it and am happy with my ZS3.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 5:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyTaylor View Post
Sony HX5 is better..
Gee, that's insightful.
Old May 17, 2010, 5:17 AM   #5

Hmmmm, yeah that's possibly not the kind of answer I was looking for...

Thanks to the rest of you, I have to admit I'm drifting more to the ZS7/TZ10 now. How does it compare in low light though? I know that's probably the Sony's forte but I mostly want this camera for snapping my little boy growing up so lots of pics indoors, on the move etc! Will the Panasonic stand up to this kind of use well or not? I've seen plenty of sample pics but they tend to be either outdoors or nighttime shots, nothing really for the kind of photography I'm after...

Also, any thoughts on the Ricoh? I know it's not a particularly common camera but I've heard pretty good things about it.

Thanks again guys, hope you're all well.

Ozzy,
ozzy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 5:44 AM   #6

I have both the ZS7 and the HX5V. The ZS7 does not fare too well indoors, though photos are usable with enough light. We have a 300W overhead in the living room and photos come out ok under those conditions. The HX5V is certainly better indoors in terms of noise, etc. but the AWB makes for a severe yellow cast in many cases so you will want to use manual WB fairly often. I definitely wouldn't call the low-light performance of the HX5V fantastic, but I do think it offers the best low-light performance of all the pocket superzoom P&S cameras. The S90 will fare much better in all lighting conditions if the zoom and video aren't important to you.

The ZS7 trumps the HX5V outdoors in detail, saturation and contrast. Color is a matter of preference and both have their issues here. The ZS7 occasionally has a color cast (bluish or greenish) and the Sony bumps up yellows and reds which will occasionally make grass look neon (yellows) or asphalt look reddish. Unfortunately, you will need to accept the fact that photos from either cam will need post-processing for best results in many cases.

I don't think there's any real reason to consider the Ricoh. If I recall correctly, it's using the same sensor as the HX5V but it lacks all of the cool features that make the HX5V so appealing to many users. (10fps, sweep panorama, HHT).

I am a big Canon fan but the lackluster video, lack of GPS and overall unimpressive reviews left me choosing between Sony and Panasonic this time around. I can't make a specific case against the Canon except to say that I think both the Sony and Panasonic offer better overall packages for the class.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:44 AM   #7

I've had many cameras (both P&S and DSLR) of different brands but I've never had a real compact model (well, perhaps I did... the Panasonic LC33 was my first digital camera as I moved away from film but, although it was a nice little cam, I sold it in favor of the very first 12x zoom cam, the Sony H1). With a vacation trip to Hawaii coming up, I'd like to have a small P&S with good zoom and video to bring along with my G1 (primarily for beach/pool shots as I don't feel comfortable exposing the G1 to that type of environment). The good news is that there are plenty of models to choose from in the 8x-14x zoom range. The bad news is, none seems to be that good. Either the noisy is bad or flash is weak or zoom is jerky during movie recording or IQ is poor in low light, and the list goes on and on. I've been reading reviews left to right, both from professional sites and regular users and I must say that no camera so far has excited me. As I don't want to have less than 8x zoom, models such as the LX3, S90, G11 are really out of the question (I find the G11 way over priced for a P&S anyway). So, at this time, the ZR1/ZS7 appear to be my best options. The ZR1 is only 8x but it's very small, it records HD video and it's cheap compared to the ZS7. The ZS7 on the other hand has manual controls, more zoom, better LCD (I don't care at all for GPS and I'm glad that I can turn it OFF altogether) but it's almost double the price. I've seen good and bad results out of either model, so all I can say is that I sympathize with all of you out there looking for the "perfect" compact P&S and so far I believe that it does not exist. You must compromise (quite a bit, actually), specially if it's going to be your primary (and only) camera.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 4:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I've seen good and bad results out of either model, so all I can say is that I sympathize with all of you out there looking for the "perfect" compact P&S and so far I believe that it does not exist. You must compromise (quite a bit, actually), specially if it's going to be your primary (and only) camera.
+1 I was on that same quest and also realized the Holy Grail did not exist. I certainly believe it could exist (or much closer to it), but so far no company has made it.
Old May 17, 2010, 4:26 PM   #9

Of course they could. The problem is, instead if investing on a bigger sensor to improve IQ and/or more powerful flash for indoor shooting, they focus on more MP, GPS, higher and higher ISO, bigger and bigger LCDs among other useless things. It's a shame, really.

Tullio
Old May 17, 2010, 5:51 PM   #10

I was not familiar with the CX3 so I took a quick look at it. At first glance it sounds appealing but apparently noise and reliability are issues. I still have a Ricoh SLR, which used to love it. Unfortunately, they never managed to produce any outstanding digital camera, reason why I pretty much ignore anything they announce. If the CX3 was around $300, then it would be worth a shot but at $400...I don't think so. Not for a 10x zoom/10 MP camera that can not handle ISO 800 well.

Tullio