Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 14, 2010, 12:30 PM   #1

Default camera recommendation - small with good zoom

I am looking for a new digital camera to take with me on my vacation to Yosemite National Park, Napa & San Francisco. I have a very small Samsung Dual-View P&S camera that works ok for general shooting and it fits in my pocket. However, it is very slow with regards to shutter lag and the zoom is not all of that great.

Here is what I am looking for:
zoom - at least 10x
shutter lag - as minimal as possible (a friend has a sony P&S that is really quick)
size - smaller than a DSLR, but not super tiny (I plan on carrying this around with me while hiking/biking)
Budget - I would like to stay under 500, obviously cheaper is better

other nice to haves:
My friends Sony P&S camera has a really cool panaroma mode that works great, do any others have that feature? That would be a huge plus in my book.

Thanks everyone for your help
mbollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2010, 1:38 PM   #2

Olympus epl-1, smaller then the smallest dslr the olympus e620. Will shot well in low light upto 2000iso. Adding a long less will be about 280 dollars. But will go over your 500 dollar buget. About 800.

For a dslr, the olympus e620 with a 150mm zoom kit will be around 680 dollars. Or the pentax k-x with the 300mm zoom kit will be about 690 dollars.

The epl-1 is the smallest option, with good low light.

The e620 is the smaller dslr.

pentax k-x is a little larger, but offers the best low light performance.
Old May 14, 2010, 1:40 PM   #3

There is no way to avoid shutter lag unless you go to a dslr or EVIL camera like the epl-1. All point and shoot suffers from it.
Old May 14, 2010, 8:15 PM   #4

thanks for the info shoturtle. It looks like the E-PL1 might be just what I am looking for. I am going to do some research on it and see what kind of deal I can find. It is at the high end of my price range, but it looks like a great little camera.

One question though, the factory lens is a 14-42mm. What does that roughly convert to in terms of zoom ratings (say 10x or 12x, etc).

Thanks again.

Mike B.
Old May 14, 2010, 9:42 PM   #5

How would this camera compare in your opinion to the Sony HX5V? I just browsed through the specs on it and read through the long thread on it here. It really looks impressive and is a bit smaller than the E-PL1.

thoughts?
Old May 14, 2010, 10:34 PM   #6

The epl-1 will have better image quality, no shutter lag. Better HD. It is not fair to compare the epl1 to the hx5v. The epl-1 is a way higher grade camera. With a ton more options.

If you want to get more user info of the epl-1 check out this thread. It is a long read.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...mpression.html
Old May 14, 2010, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbollman View Post
thanks for the info shoturtle. It looks like the E-PL1 might be just what I am looking for. I am going to do some research on it and see what kind of deal I can find. It is at the high end of my price range, but it looks like a great little camera.

One question though, the factory lens is a 14-42mm. What does that roughly convert to in terms of zoom ratings (say 10x or 12x, etc).

Thanks again.

Mike B.
3x is about what it is starting from 14, 28 would be 2x, 48 would be 4x. To get more reach, add a panasonice 45-200mm, that will give you from the kit lens a reach form 14-200, so about 15x with a very small gap between 42 and 45.
Old May 15, 2010, 4:03 AM   #8

it kicks ass on any digicam out there when it comes to quality. i recently bought a gf1, and it was very very close - i researched them both like crazy, and tried 'em both in stores. the e-pl1 has really good jpg quality.

Quote:

Thanks again.

Mike B.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 12:51 AM   #9

Quote:

The way to figure this out is by dividing the higher number by the lower (42/12=3.5x). Another example, a 28-336mm lens is 12x zoom (336/28=12).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote