Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 19, 2010, 4:53 PM   #11

You do not need to learn as quickly, you can set the K-x to shoot in scene modes. Through the user menu. So if that is something you are concern about, the K-x can be used as a point and shoot.

Also you do not need to get a long zoom right away, most of the shots I took where with the short 18-55mm lens. But if you are looking to have reach also. I would go with either the 690 dollar 2 lens kit, with the 55-300mm, it is out of stock at the big camera shops sites. or the shorter 2 lens kit with 55-200mm for 625. It is less expensive then getting the all in 1 zoom lens. And will give you a bit better image quality with 2 less extreme lenses.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 19, 2010 at 7:11 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 5:41 AM   #12

I was going through some photos on steve's.

This one caught my attention. It is shooting in a church in Spain, where no flash is allow. Aperture as wide as possible, at 3200iso. No point and shoot really shoots well pass 1600 like the s90 and g11. For shots like these only a dslr would be able to get the shot at 3200iso.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ni...0mm-combo.html
Old May 20, 2010, 5:54 AM   #13

[QUOTE=RioRico;1096436]
...My basic minimal starter's package would be Pentax Kx and 18-250mm (14x) superzoom... [QUOTE]

May I ask you please, this 14X, 18-250, is with a single lense?
a.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 6:25 AM   #14

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibaris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
...My basic minimal starter's package would be Pentax Kx and 18-250mm (14x) superzoom...
May I ask you please, this 14X, 18-250, is with a single lense?
Yes, it is a single lens. Here are user reviews of the Pentax version: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...Zoom-Lens.html

Pentax adapted the design from Tamron and added their own famous SMC coatings. Pentax no longer makes it, but Tamron still does, and the Tamron version is usually considered to be almost as good.
Old May 20, 2010, 7:49 AM   #15

Wow!
I bet this is the compact-photographer's dream! A bit heavy though. And a bit expensive, I might say...
a.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 3:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibaris View Post
Wow!
I bet this is the compact-photographer's dream! A bit heavy though. And a bit expensive, I might say...
At 450g it's not a featherweight; it's about 200g heavier than the kit lens. But it weighs much less than older Vivitar and Takumar classic 70-210 zooms at 660g and 880g. As for price... I won't try to sell this to you, I just say that I find it excellent and most convenient. It is not a cheap lens, nor is it painfully expensive -- although I can't afford to buy another right now! But the 18-250 covers so many photo situations.

When I bought my first dSLR, a Pentax K20D, I chose just three lenses: a DA10-17 fisheye zoom, the DA18-250 as a do-everything walkaround, and a FA50/1.4 for low light. Then I started shopping eBay. Too many other lenses later, those three are still what I use the most, especially the 18-250, especially when traveling. The only other lenses I often carry are specialized (and cheap!) -- a fast Nikkor 85/2, a tiny Industar-50/3.5 on macro tubes, even the 18-55 kit lens (on which I mount various filters and optics). Those few lenses do almost everything I need, and the 18-250 is most used. If I could only have one lens, that would be it.
Old May 20, 2010, 3:58 PM   #17

Both set up has their advantages. The 2 lens kit with the 300mm, gives you very good reach, 35mm eq of 450mm zoom. Also at the long end of the zoom, the 300mm is very sharp. More then the 18-250 at 250 in my opinion with a bit less distortion. At 250mm the 300 is brighter, and even the long end of 300 it is still bright. 5.8 vs 6.3 But the 18-250 is a very good lens for a megazoom. If I were to pick a megazoom lens for pentax. The 18-250mm would be my first pick. There are times when a 1 lens solution is advantages.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 20, 2010 at 4:05 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 5:24 PM   #18

Another comment about lenses: There are many different ways to approach photography. We may have an image in mind, that we wish to create. We may have a mood we want to express. We may want to re-discover the world by looking closely. We may just want to wander around and grab whatever images jump out at us. We may search for randomness or order, for hardness or softness, for specific colors or tones or shapes. We use various lenses as tools for our desires.

Looking in specific ways: that's why we use macro lenses, fast action-grabbing telephotos, ultrawides, portrait set-ups, or any specific glass. I may spend a day or three with just one special lens on the camera, slow or fast, to force myself to see with that one viewpoint, to exploit the unique look of a lens, to compare its quality with similar glass.

Making a desired image: sometimes we visualize a picture we want to create. A zoom may help us judge the possibilities of composition, depth of field, proportion, etc. Then a prime in that range will nail down the details. With experience, we find just which lens gives the results we want.

Grabbing lucky images: this is where a superzoom shines. I wander around with the shutter set to FAST. I prepare myself mentally: SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN! When it does, I'm (hopefully) ready, no matter how near or far, how narrow or wide -- and I don't have to change lenses. If needed, I have a fisheye or superfast or macro-set in the bag, but I can mostly depend on the superzoom.

The first zooms (of any length) arrived around 1970; autofocus, around 1985. Before that, photographers might depend on just a few manual prime lenses, the equivalent on modern dSLRs of 18mm, 24mm, 35mm (normal), 55mm (portrait), 85mm, 135mm (wildlife). Many would only use the 24, 35 and 85. Some might only use the 35 equivalent. Photography is certainly easier now! And a superzoom really helps.
Old May 20, 2010, 7:16 PM   #19

They are useful and have it's place. They are very pricey. The lens along is the same price as the k-x body without any lenses. And at night, which is a concern. The 6.3 at 250mm can be a issue, that 1+ F-stop between the 2 lens option at 250 which is down at 5 will be more useful for evening shots and indoor church shots. 3200iso with f5 is allot better then 6400 at f6.3. Superzoom are great at the lucky shots. But are not as good for low light.
Old May 20, 2010, 9:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Superzoom are great at the lucky shots. But are not as good for low light.
Quite right. And that's why I have a 50/1.4 and 85/2 in my bag (and a 24/2 also, after it is repaired). When I must shoot in low light, I use the right lens. If I shot bands in dim clubs, I would want a Kx and an 85/1.5 or something similar.

But for general purpose shooting in a wide variety of situations, the superzoom is convenient, and it is THERE. The old photojournalist's rule: f/8 and be there. The best lens is the lens you use; it is always better than anything you don't use.

Slower lenses are good too. I constantly use a Meyer 180/5.5, Takumar 200/5.6, Jupiter-11 135/4, Industar-50/3.5, Tokina 21/4. I love their optics, their image quality, their sharpness and saturation. No, these are not low-light lenses. They are different tools for different purposes.