Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2010, 8:21 PM   #21

I have shot in cathedrals in Germany. Even 85mm 1.8 can be to short to isolated on certain things on the vaulted ceiling. Every lens has it's purpose, and pros and cons.

I am a prime shooter most of the time. But on anything requiring more reach then my 100 2.8, the zooms come out. But giving the need for low light from the op, the 2 lens option will give great ability vs the 18-250. But I have been tempted couple of times to get a 18-270 for my canon. But always pass on it. They are useful. But I enjoy shooting in the dark.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 20, 2010 at 9:31 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 7:15 AM   #22

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

My solution for extended shooting in dark spaces: a tripod. I have used such in many museums and cathedrals and marketplaces between Alaska and Honduras.

In a few days I will start a three-month car-tenting trip around the western USA, with visits to many old frontier towns. I can take whatever lenses I want, but shouldn't take too many. So I must decide between, for example, a fast (but soft) 135/2.5 and a slow (but sharp) f/3.5 or f/4. Or a fast (but soft and huge) 200/3.5 or a slow (but sharp and small) f/5.6. Or maybe just a very sharp AF 100-300/4.7-5.8 instead. Which will be best for shooting remote details? Which is most likely to go unused? How often should I use the tripod? Sometimes the fastest lens isn't the right answer.
Old May 21, 2010, 9:44 AM   #23

Not always possible, some church in Germany gets allot of foot traffic, and they will not allow you to use a flash or tripod. If the op is flying to Germany, adding a tripod is just more to carry. Something the OP seems to be trying to avoid.
Old May 23, 2010, 8:58 AM   #24

Thanks for the lively discussions everyone. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to disappoint and not get a SLR (too bulky for solo train traveling across Germany, and too expensive from what I can afford after getting zoom lens and other accessories).

Right now, I've narrowed it to either:
(1) Panasonic's FZ35 (for zoom mostly, and the lower cost allows me to put money into accessories). From most of the samples I've seen on this forum, I'm pretty impressed with the quality that the camera is capable of producing (even in low light).
(2) Canon g11 (for better low light quality and more compact - 1/2 the fz35). But it costs ~$120 more and I'm sacrificing a lot of zoom. I have not found a good standardized comparison of the 2 cameras in low light, so I can't really tell if the g11's low light capabilities is that much better (besides what the specs say). Can anyone comment on how much better the g11's low light capabilities are?

I went to 4 b&m big box retail stores and some camera specific shops here in nashville yesterday and no one carries the fz35, so if I get it, it will be a sight-unseen purchase. I'm going to a bestbuy that's further away to see the g11 today.
wookie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 10:03 AM   #25

I just returned from a trip. I took the G-11 and it was great. It was compact and very carry-able while producing great image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 3:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I just returned from a trip. I took the G-11 and it was great. It was compact and very carry-able while producing great image quality.

Sarah Joyce
hi Sarah,
Thanks for indulging in my drawn out decision making process. I tried out the g11 in the store today and I was actually surprised at its small size. I just have to decide now whether the difference in image quality (esp at low light) is worth the sacrifice in zoom and extra $120 compared to the fz35.

Do you have any pics with the g11, from your trip that you'd like to share?
Old May 23, 2010, 3:50 PM   #27

wookie-

I also own a FZ-35 and I can tell you that the image quality and the high ISO capability of the G-11 exceeds the FZ-35. The question is simply this how important is that zoom??

Here is a night photo in Rome at ISO 3200. Yes, it has some noise but the image quality is there. the FZ-35 could not have captured this photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 4:01 PM   #28

If you are looking at the G11, you may also want to look at the EPL-1, it will handle low light better then the G11, as it uses the same size sensor as olympus dslr. 4x larger the a point and shoot. It is about the same size as the G11 with the lens in the travel position. I is about 570 dollars. It shoots well up to 2000 iso, but give you a workable image at 3200iso.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 6:52 AM   #29

Hi everyone,
It's 3 days before I leave for Germany and I'm down to the wire on making a decision. I've been swinging back and forth the last few days on either the Canon G11 or the Panasonic FZ35.

Essentially it distills down to:
- I'm inclined towards the Canon because it has the potential to take better pictures (indoors/at night), but I'm only getting 5x zoom.
- But I really like the FZ35 for the 18x zoom and the sample images I've seen on this forum and on amazon's page have been very impressive (in broad daylight, I feel some were even sharper than the g11's pictures).

I am very torn and I have to make the decision by this afternoon. I'd appreciate any advice/opinions in either directions.

Last edited by wookie25; Jun 16, 2010 at 6:59 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 7:59 AM   #30

Vote for the fz38. You propably won't regret it.
The final choice is yours though!
alexander
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote