Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 16, 2010, 3:00 PM   #1

Default H20 or ZS3

hello,
i've been debating between these 2 cameras. i am not a professional photographer and i really don't know much of any manual controls so i am looking for a camera that takes good pictures in full auto mode... would these two cameras do that? wide-angle lens isn't really too important, between these two cameras which would give better picture quality indoors? thanks!
heartadelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2010, 3:09 PM   #2

ZS3 perform badly in low light. I own one. You can go iso 3200 with the h20 (although i wouldn't try that on a p&s camera) and iso1600 with the ZS3 (totally unusable).
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 3:13 PM   #3

The sony has a slight better flash according to some reports. But for indoor group shot the H20 will be very tight as it widest point is only 38mm. You may not be able back up enough to get a group shot.

The ZS3 has a good wide angle lenses at 25mm. So it will allow you to take good group shots and landscape shots. But the problem with the ZS3 is trying to find one. The replacement to it is the zs5 and zs7, so they discounted the so much. That it is hard to find now.

If you like the zs3 as it is really hard to find now, you may want to consider the zs5 or zs7, or if you can give up some zoom, and you can get the panansonic zr1 with a 8x zoom.
Old May 16, 2010, 3:15 PM   #4

Actually none of these camera will be good indoors without a flash. 800iso is really the limit of the point and shoot's sensors. For low light you need to move up to a canon s90 or G11.
Old May 17, 2010, 5:58 PM   #5

thanks for the replies s90 and g11 is definitely out of the price range, and i'm not looking for anything too crazy... i mean i'm not asking for amazing low light pictures, just pictures that i will be able to see someones face and print a 4x6...
ultimately, i don't want to be messing with manual controls, i would mostly use auto mode.. looking for a camera that will give me decent auto mode pictures
Old May 17, 2010, 6:02 PM   #6

The zs3 is a very good camera, but there pretty much sold out of them as they did a good job emptying the discontinue inventory. Because it is really a great camera. The ZS5 is just as good, and newer. price is about 270.

But for what you said you want, just get close enough for the flash when taking your photos. With in 10ft. I would go with the wider angle lens, you can always get closer, but sometimes you can not back up enough.
Old May 17, 2010, 6:05 PM   #7

do you know if the ZS5 is manual control dependent?
Old May 17, 2010, 6:06 PM   #8

No you can have it shoot in full auto. The manual control is just an option if you want.