Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 16, 2010, 3:40 PM   #1
cmm

Default Nikon D3000, Nikon D5000 or Pentax k-x

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and so far I have found it very helpful.

I am debating between these three cameras - I have re*****hed them and currently have the D5000 (with 15 days to try it and return it if I change my mind) and have started taking test shots. I will be mainly taking shots of my family including my 5 month old baby boy who is often moving- I am currently taking lessons on using manual controls for more creativity.

I find the Nikon D5000 good but some of the menus take a while to sort through - is the Pentax k-x easier to use? I know the autofocus does not show up on the Pentax k-x in the viewfinder and I know it runs on AA batteries as opposed to the lithium battery...

I just want the camera that's easiest to use (I am a beginner), and takes the best photos in both automatic and manual modes. I would love to hear from people who have actually used the three cameras. I can get the D5000 and Pentax K-x for the same price and the D3000 is cheaper by $170 -

Thank you,
Carolyn
cmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2010, 3:41 PM   #2
cmm

I will just add that video, live mode and swivel screen are not really important to me -what is important is ease of use, colours and sharpness of photos I take using the viewfinder..
cmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 3:48 PM   #3

The pentax k-x is a better low light camera, and currently has the second fastest AF in the segment behind the canon's.

Also the pentax is a bit easier for new dslr owners, it has good menu system and art filters until you are ready to move up to the advance mode. It was name best entry dslr by TIPA for 2010

Here are some links to sample of the k-x

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...birds-nyc.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...hest-bump.html

Last edited by shoturtle; May 16, 2010 at 4:27 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 4:06 PM   #4

When you buy a dSLR, you're making a long term committment to a system, the total cost of which may exceed the cost of the camera body, often by several times. While I agree with shoturtle that the Pentax K-x would be a better choice for what you say you want to do now, when and if your child starts participating in organized sports, the K-x will fall short in that area since there are are no good lenses for capturing either outdoor or indoor sports. I suggest you look at the equivalent Canon's, either the T1i or the XSi. Of course, Nikon has an excellent selection of lenses that are appropriate for sports, but the D3000 and D5000 bodies you're looking at aren't. So if you understand that sometime soon you may need to upgrade to a more capable camera body, either Nikon would be a good first step.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 4:09 PM   #5

Yes there are good lenses for pentax for action indoors the sigma 50-150mm 2.8 HSM and sigma 70-200mm 2.8 HSM. For primes, the sigma 85mm 1.8 HSM.

just need to keep your options open. But the canon does you give you the most options. And way more low price entry lenses then pentax.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 16, 2010 at 6:28 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 4:15 PM   #6

Also the sigma options are less expensive then the nikon or canon option by almost 1/2 the price. So if not going pro. They will do a very good job.

With my current canon lens line up, I can actually find something to pretty much equal them on my brother's k-x. Some may not be exact. But there are options that comes close. The only ones that you can not match up would be a canon 100mm f2 or the 50mm 1.8 in price.

My canon---------------------for pentax
28mm 1.8--------------------sigma 30mm 1.4
50mm 1.4--------------------pentax 50mm 1.4
85mm 1.8--------------------sigma 85mm 1.8
100mm 2.8-------------------pentax 100mm 2.8 macro
70-300mm--------------------pentax DA 55-300
55-250------------------------pentax kit len DAL 55-300
28-135------------------------pentax 18-250

Last edited by shoturtle; May 16, 2010 at 6:29 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 6:53 PM   #7

I'm not familiar with the Sigma 85mm f/1.8, nor can I find anything on it. There's the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, but that's not out yet. No one knows how it will do for shooting sports, though there's no reason to think it won't do the job, but no one knows how much it costs yet, either.

The Sigma 50-150/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 might do ok for shooting indoor sports with a Pentax, especially considering the agressiveness with which Pentax deals with image noise at high ISO, though it does tend to sacrifice detail in the process.

But for outdoor sports, there's really nothing for the Pentax that is long enough and fast focusing enough. The Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR, the Canon 70-300 IS USM, and the Sony 70-300 'G' outperform the Pentax DA 55-300 handily. It might do in a pinch, but you probably wouldn't want to use it for long.

Last edited by TCav; May 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 6:58 PM   #8

I am pretty sure the 85 will follow sigma high quality with this primes like the 20, 30, 50mm, all are excellent lenses.

I beg to differ, I was shooting my ef 70-300mm yesterday and my brother was shooting the DAL 55-300mm with the K-x. And the dal 55-300 held it own shooting bif's, ducks mostly. Which flies really fast. So compare to the sony, nikon and canon 70-300mm. It can hold it's own.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 16, 2010 at 7:01 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 7:30 PM   #9

Here is a short series of a Bif I was track about 2 weeks ago with the pentax k-x with the DAL 55-300mm. And the Gull trying to get away form other gulls trying to get his catch. So the movements were quite fast. And the lens was up to the job.
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2010, 7:37 PM   #10

And here is a shot showing he was being chase for his catch.
Attached Images