Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 17, 2010, 3:01 PM   #1

Default Looking for Good camera for beginner

I'm trying to decide on what camera to buy....I want to get a better camera to take pictures of my kids, special occasions, and just general pictures here and there. I currently have a fujifilm finepix s5000.. I've had it for about 4 years. When I try to take quick pictures of the something (this especially happens with kids) I get blurry pictures...the shutter speed is excruciating slow. The blurring pictures occurs even more in dark enviroments so I always have to have the flash open....but then the pictures are very bright....like pictures of people in darker environments (really not that dark) seem unrealistic. I don't mind spending the money but I'm just not sure if the camera i'm looking at is worth it...i've read tons of reviews and everyone says it is...I'm just worried it will be obsolete in a couple years and I'll have to get a new one...I had my mind set on the Canon EOS t1i ($750 with lens). I also want to get the 430EXII flash. I just want to make sure i'm not overdoing it before I buy this especially with the amount I'm going to be spending.
Thanks,
faromic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2010, 4:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by faromic View Post
The blurring pictures occurs even more in dark enviroments so I always have to have the flash open....
A DSLR would be better in low light.

Quote:
I had my mind set on the Canon EOS t1i ($750 with lens).
Good camera. I have one and I like it a lot. There are lots of others
to consider, but the T1i would be a good choice.

Loads of chat on this forum making comparisons between various
DSLRs. The flavour of the month seems to be:

T1i (or T2i), Pentax K-x and Nikon D5000.

Quote:
I also want to get the 430EXII flash. I just want to make sure i'm not overdoing it before I buy this especially with the amount I'm going to be spending.
Thanks,
That's the trouble with DSLRs. You will want a few extra lenses, better
tripod, bigger camera bag, flash, memory cards, spare battery.......

You won't ever have spare cash ever again.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 5:13 PM   #3

The T1i is a excellent camera, and very good in low light. And would give you an excellent platform that will grow with you. But as corkpix said, the pentax K-x is another good choice. It is the bang for the buck system currently with low light shooting as a very important thing. 520 dollars for the k-x with 1 lens 18-55. The D5000 is just a tad behing both the t1i and pentax k-x.

With the flash, the 430 ex II is a really good flash and you can not go wrong with it. But I am not a big flash users. You can save a little money going with the Metz 48 for the canon and pentax. It is just as good as the 430 ex II. And if you really want to save a bit more on the flash, the nissin di622 is another good option for the canon.

If you want to check out how the canon T1i and pentax k-x perform in low light at the higher iso check out this comparison thread.

The pros of the canon is that you have the largest lens selection of the 3 brands. Pentax and the Nikon D5000 have about the same amount of lenses to chose from, the pentax are just a bit less expensive as it has in body image stabilization, making the lens less expensive. Also it has the best AF system currently in the compact dslr market.

The pros about the Pentax, at higher iso. It is a bit less noise then the Canon at the same iso. It also has the most new user friendly user interface out there. And it is pack with features. At the moment it has the second best AF system behind the canon.

The Nikon D5000 has the swivel screen, and best flash system on the market. If you went with the nikon. I would get the nikon sb600 flash. Nikon has a huge selection of lenses also, but the D5000 is limited to AF-s and AF-i series lenses if you want the lens to auto focus, cutting down the number of lens option for it.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html

Last edited by shoturtle; May 17, 2010 at 5:20 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 5:55 PM   #4

I've been doing a lot of research but still don't know a lot....in terms of exposure and iso and how it all relates and what it means...I know that high iso is good for dark conditions....One question I have is why the tripod is required for the long exposure? I'm assuming because you don't want to be moving the camera as its taking the picture..But does a long exposure mean a high iso setting? or is this something else? Also, I'm not too sure what the all the numbers in the lens is...when it says the camera comes with 18mm-55mm, I'm not exactly sure what that means? I'm assuming that there is a section on this website that has an article with the info for beginners? Can you point me in this direction? Not sure if I should be posting this in this thread.
don't know a lot about pentax? are they good quality?

The link to the comparison thread was helpful, looks like the canon is a bit brighter and more colorful (or represents the actual colors more accurately). Would it be beneficial for me to get another lens initally? Or should I use the camera a bit and then decide what I want. Thanks, and I know it's a lot of questions.
Old May 17, 2010, 6:05 PM   #5

A tripod is need for a long exposure because you are using shutter speed that are longer that a person can hold a camera steady. The average is 1/30 of a sec for hand held shots. Anything slower, you can cause blurring. Also a long exposure give a nice artistic star burst effect to lights.

So to off set that long exposure, you have 4 options.
1 add light with a flash or spot light, not always idea or possible.
2 get a brighter lens with a lower f number 1.4-1.8
that will shorten the shutter speed by because it lets in more light quickly.
3, bump up the iso. It make the senor register the info faster, like back in the film days with ASA. The higher the ASA, the faster the film is. So it increase your shutter speed with a faster film. But with high iso, you get more noise so proper exposure is critical to reduce that.
Finally 4, a combination of high ISO and brighter lens. That is what I do allot as I shoot in low light without a flash. This way you do not need to shoot at the highest iso, and still get a decent shutter speed.

Here is an example of higher iso and a bright lens. On the second link there are some flash mixed in with the higher iso and brighter lens shots.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...sailboats.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...s-dancing.html
Old May 17, 2010, 6:51 PM   #6

Ok, so the things you listed are things to do to avoid a long exposure. What would you do to take a picture with a long exposure and in what circumstances would that be desirable? So it's more desirable to have a lens to compensate and keep the iso setting as low as possible to keep the shutter speed as low as possible? More light enters at lower iso settings...right? So why would you need a higher iso for dark environments...?...wouldn't you want more light entering? so when buying a lens, you want not only look at zoom but also the f number which indicates the light allowed in? In terms of zoom, the higher the numbers the larger the zoom right? so a 75-300mm lens has a closer range than a 15-55mm right?

Once again, thanks
Old May 17, 2010, 6:57 PM   #7

nightscape, a long exposure is more desirable with the star burst effect. Also using a smaller aperture of f13-22 will give you more depth of field control. You get more of the back ground or for ground in focus with a smaller aperture. If you are shooting water, the long night exposure will make it look glassy or silky. And if you there is moving object, like cars or planes with light, it gives the artist effect of streaking lights. Here is one of a long exposure where the water is glass, I have the lights in starburst, and the moving plane is capture as a light trail.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ar...idge-shot.html
Old May 17, 2010, 7:18 PM   #8

here is a sample of normal low light condition, where a good combination medium iso and a bright lens works well together for causal shooting. At easily hand holdable shutter speed, and not as demanding as indoor night club action shoot.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...o-tribeca.html

Last edited by shoturtle; May 18, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote