Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2010, 6:42 AM   #21

1. Stabalization - chasing a 3.5 y/o around, would probably want to turn it off. Generally speaking, stabalization is best with telephoto, and lessens as you go wider. At 18-55 it is probably a tossup between benefit and marketing BS. A tripod (or monopod) trumps it anyway - and I keep my tripod in the car.

2. Visual Tours may be a franchise (Prudential Florida) benefit rather than full corporate. I do know it is not PREA related. Obviously, I use it with few exceptions - like a mobile home where they stole the copper wire ripping the drywall from the plug up to the ceiling. Non-traditional uses include uploading for private use- not broadcasting to all the links - but emailing link to customers from the NE. Also a big part of listing, particurally with FSBO and expires, "look what I can do for you (that your other Realtor didn't)". About to take it to an even higher level with FSBO and expired, since is software based rather than web based, develop a personalized CD that sweeps the prospects exterior then shift into a short video (taken with D90) noting obviously can't take the inside of home, but to sit back and enjoy a 5 min presentation (slideshow with voice override) of what I can do for you. Who wouldn't put a CD in their player if it has their house pictured on the label (preprinted at home, or lightscribe etching in the field!). Should be easy as most would be pre-assembled and reused, just assembling the front panoramic and burning to disc. Will be interesting to see how effective that is.

3. One other thing not mentioned...you look really professional when you pull a DLSR out. And yes, if I had a Canon I probably would have splurged the couple hundred extra bucks for a very highly regarded lens that it has earned over time. $400 more for a recently released Nikon that didn't provide significant improvement to justify the $400 screamed Sigma all the way - particurally after I ruled out the Tamron. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them though.

Last edited by tizeye; May 18, 2010 at 6:52 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 7:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If stabilization, video, and wide angles are important to you, Pentax is the best choice, and nothing tizeye has said changes that.
Well, I researched and read a ton of reviews for Canon, Pentax, and Nikon.

Many expert reviews for the Pentax K-x, for instance, said that image stabilization and video were mediocre. In fact, I don't even think the K-x does IS in video, I might be wrong though.

I downloaded several video samples from SLRs, and played them on my 52" XBR9. Nothing beat the T2i videos in my opinion. I understand that I'm not buying a video camera, but quality video and stills in one package would be a big plus for me.

Last edited by ckeegan; May 18, 2010 at 7:56 AM.
ckeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 7:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
1. Stabalization - chasing a 3.5 y/o around, would probably want to turn it off. Generally speaking, stabalization is best with telephoto, ...
... or shooting in available light at any focal length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
... A tripod (or monopod) trumps it anyway ...
... except when "chasing a 3.5 y/o around".

Last edited by TCav; May 18, 2010 at 8:02 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 7:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Well, I researched and read a ton of reviews for Canon, Pentax, and Nikon.

Many expert reviews for the Pentax K-x, for instance, said that image stabilization and video were mediocre. In fact, I don't even think the K-x does IS in video, I might be wrong though.
While Pentax' implimentation of image stabilization may not be quite as good as others, it's still a lot better than not having it. And if video is important to you, you'll be happier with a camcorder than with the video capabilities of any dLSR. ... which would free you up to get a Sony dSLR which has better stabilization and also does wide angle better than Canon.
Old May 18, 2010, 8:00 AM   #25

Quote:
... or shooting in available light at any focal length.

... except when "chasing a 3.5 y/o around".
Just a point: if you're "chasing" anything around that means it's moving. That means relying on anti-shake OR tripod is the wrong choice. You need faster shutter speeds or flash to freeze subject movement. neither anti-shake nor tripod is the right tool for the job with a moving toddler.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 8:00 AM   #26

You have a PM with my personal info and PREA site link. I think by rules, they don't want us to list commercial sites on the forum.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 8:24 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Just a point: if you're "chasing" anything around that means it's moving. That means relying on anti-shake OR tripod is the wrong choice. You need faster shutter speeds or flash to freeze subject movement. neither anti-shake nor tripod is the right tool for the job with a moving toddler.
True, but during almost any action sequence, there's usually a pause of some form or fashion, and to capture those images, IS is useful. IS prevents motion blur due to camera shake but does nothing to prevent motion blur due to subject movement. But if, for a brief moment, the subject isn't moving, having IS is better than not having it.
Attached Images

Old May 18, 2010, 8:34 AM   #28

Quote:
While Pentax' implimentation of image stabilization may not be quite as good as others, it's still a lot better than not having it. And if video is important to you, you'll be happier with a camcorder than with the video capabilities of any dLSR. ... which would free you up to get a Sony dSLR which has better stabilization and also does wide angle better than Canon.
Thanks for the notes, and the sample images. I didn't include Sony in my list of research, due to past experience. I am done with Sony products for a while, due to my ridiculous experience with a 50" XBR1. Then again, they made ammends (after months of letters and phone calls) with a 52" XBR9, 32" XBR9, and a PS3 for a total of $800, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Still, Sony was off the list for me with this purchase.
ckeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 8:40 AM   #29

Quote:
But if, for a brief moment, the subject isn't moving, having IS is better than not having it.
Unfortunately though, most of the faces you captured aren't as sharp as they could be. Flash (preferably external bounced) would have captured the moment even better in my experience. Then you don't have to wait for a freeze in the action and stil end up with less-than-sharp photos.

and if you like shallow dof. That and flash are certainly not mutually exclusive:

And, of course, some times you want multiple people in good focus - which means narrow apertures - which means even more subject blur from motion:

Some people are willing to live with the noise and less sharp results to do available light at all costs. I prefer sharpness and pop. At least we've provided people some shots with both techniques so they can decide for themselves what they like
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 8:52 AM   #30

The kit lenses has IS built in. Sorry, I have both kit lens on top of my standard EF lenses. And they do a good job with IS. But when I chase birds and fast moving subject, I try to have higher iso and shutter speed, that does a better job in capturing the running kids imho, then IS. IS is good for night shooting giving me a little more performance down at 1/8 or 1/16 shutters speeds.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote