Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2010, 1:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner1000 View Post
The Canon S90 was one of the first cameras that I was considering - great for low light and small but not excited about its zoom. FZ35 fulfills my criteria for the most part (just won't fit in my purse!) and for the price - sounds like a winner!

BTW: your macro shots are beautiful - so impressive what that camera can do!
I guess it depends on the size of your purse. My FZ35 is in a small Case Logic case and it fits in my purse .
tallymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 1:22 AM   #22

Maybe I just need to get a bigger purse!
runner1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 11:23 PM   #23

tallymom,
Which Case Logic case did you get? Is it one currently on their website?
Old May 21, 2010, 11:53 PM   #24

I just returned from doing a week of photo seminars. Alana, it looks like you have done your homework quite nicely. And Runner, I carry my FZ-35 in my purse all the time with out any problem.

I also shoot with a Canon G-11 and I had a S-90 for almost a month, before I no long could abide with its lack of any real zoom. As a digital camera instructor, and an author Iwill be happy to answer any questions. My friend LTZ has done a great job, and I appreciate his help.

The main issue is that the FZ-35 can offer much more in terms of usefulness and image quality than any of the smaller compact zoom models such as the ZS1, ZS3, ZS5, or ZS7. Other cameras in that category are the Panasonic ZR, ZX series, as well as the Sony HX-5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 2:25 AM   #25

Thanks, Sarah Joyce -- I think I'm sold on the FZ35. I really would like a camera that can take good indoor, flashless pictures. Had also been reading about Costco's ZS6 but, as you said, the FZ35 offers much more than any of those ZS cameras. Thanks for helping me make up my mind! Now I guess I also need a 8gb, class 6 memory card? Any brand recommendations? How about extra battery? Can it take an off brand? Would you even recommend an off brand? And what kind of case do you have that can go easily into your purse? Thanks so much for your help!

BTW: I appreciate how this forum is so helpful for people who are not exactly experts! Thanks for the education!
Old May 23, 2010, 2:33 AM   #26

Oh, just wondering -- what do you think the new updated version of the FZ35 will have? I understand Panasonic has typically released the next version of this camera in July. Not that I want to wait and see -- it could be worse, it could cost more, and weigh more. Guess it would be nice to have a 3" LCD with more dots!
Old May 23, 2010, 2:34 AM   #27

It is a fine camera, you can not go with with it in the megazoom category.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:56 AM   #28

runner-

Yes, a FZ-35 replacement will be announced in July, and will reach the dealers in late September or early October. We know that the price will be measurably high, Fuji has already established that precedent with their almost $500.00 HS-10 model recently introduced. Beyond that we do not know any of the details and Panasonic is traditionally very tight lipped.

Currently the FZ-35, a very user friendly camera, is around $340, which could be a whole lot less expensive than the new model.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 24, 2010, 12:41 AM   #29

Sarah Joyce (or anybody else)--
You didn't reply to this part of my post:

Now I guess I also need a 8gb, class 6 memory card? Any brand recommendations? How about extra battery? Can it take an off brand? Would you even recommend an off brand? And what kind of case do you have that can go easily into your purse? Thanks so much for your help!
Old May 24, 2010, 10:41 AM   #30

runner-

I don't mean to disappoint, but if you are taking video or burst mode shots, all you need is a class 6 card. the size of the card is up to you. As long as I can find a major brand on sale I buy it, and save the $$.

FZ-35/38 cameras are a bit picky about batteries. Be sure that, if you select a third party battery, that the seller guarantees that it will work with the FZ-35/38. I carry my camera without a case in a separate pocket in my purse. That way access to the camera is fairly quick and I don't think that further protection is required. That system has worked very well for me for many years.

Sarah Joyce