Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 17, 2010, 9:24 PM   #1

Default Panasonic ZS5 vs FZ35

Would like to purchase a new camera. Have narrowed it down to these two. Any suggestions on which would be a better purchase? I have found more reviews on the FZ35, but the ZS5 in newer....
Alana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2010, 11:41 PM   #2

Alana what do you plan on shooting with the camera? They are both good cameras, but the FZ35 is far more consistent and will fare better indoors it will also have better video and sound....

the ZS7 is the newest Model I have it and the FZ35, I had the ZS3 and it is a very sharp camera also....
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 12:46 AM   #3

Hello,
This will be my primary camera for vacations, family, kids, etc.... I will also use it for taking pictures of jewelry, (macro) for work. Probably asking for too much... but would like to be able to have fun with it so that maybe I can learn more about photography as a hobby. The P&S that I have now is so basic and limited.
Old May 18, 2010, 7:06 AM   #4

The FZ35 is your camera Alana...it is awesome for Macro Shots as Panasonic makes a Converter for it LC-55 it's around $60 but does it ever do great detail...here are some I took yesterday with the TC-55 attached to a Used FZ35 that I paid $279 for from Amazon I actually bought two usedFZ35's and they were like new and both perform well...
This is easily done as panasonic design these with the average consumer in mind...

Last edited by LTZ470; May 21, 2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old May 18, 2010, 7:11 AM   #5

You can see that it would be great for detailed macro work, but it shines everywhere else also within limits of good lighting...it does much better than the ZS series in low light also...it will also be better for taking pictures of children on the fly! as I use mine for that also...it is just a great all-around camera and I don't think there is anything on the market that can beat it for the price to be honest...Panasonic also made a Teleconverter for it to increase the zoom or focal length and I leave it on one camera all the time...
Old May 18, 2010, 10:37 AM   #6

LTZ470 your pics are awesome and exactly what kind of quality I am looking for. I have read in some of the threads on this forum that a newer model of this cam is coming out in a few months, wonder if it is worth waiting for?

I am guessing that the ZS5 won't give me the same quality or "grow" with me as the FZ35 will as I gain experience.

Do you have more than one FZ35? If so, why? Just curious.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:42 AM   #7

Both camera you are considering are very good, the FZ35 has more zoom and manual control vs the zs5 or zs7. If you need more zoom the fz35 would give you the reach 18x zoom. But if you want something more compact, pocket size going down to a 14x zoom. The zs5 and zs7 will be a better fit. All you are really losing is the longer zoom. Image quality is very close as they have very close ccd sensors.

If you do not need gps tagging I would go with the zs5, it gave you longer battery life.
Old May 18, 2010, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana View Post
LTZ470 your pics are awesome and exactly what kind of quality I am looking for. I have read in some of the threads on this forum that a newer model of this cam is coming out in a few months, wonder if it is worth waiting for?

I am guessing that the ZS5 won't give me the same quality or "grow" with me as the FZ35 will as I gain experience.

Do you have more than one FZ35? If so, why? Just curious.
Depends on your requirements Alana...I think you can get "close" to the same quality as the FZ35 with the ZS5, but for the same price the FZ35 is going to consistently out perform the ZS5:
Battery Life will be much longer on the FZ35
Flash will be much better on the FZ35
Sound Recording is stereo and has a much better Microphone
The FZ35 has the TC-55 Macro Lens option which really enhances the macro shots
The FZ35 also has the TC-55 teleconverter available for long distance shots if taking pictures of animals or birds out in the wild

Sorry I told a story on the price it was $279 each for the two used FZ35's I bought not $229...I see they are $292 used at Amazon now and $318 new....on Ebay they are very expensive so I would stay away from there and the good thing about Amazon is the "No Questions" return policy if you decide it's not your "Cup O' Tea"...
Yes I have three actually one with the Macro lens on all the time...another with a Tele Lens on all the time and a third I took back to where I work as I work overseas...they are all great cameras and I can't see anyone of them out performing the other...

I forgot to address the newer model coming out...yes it could be better, but will definitely be more expensive?...the one reason I would wait is ONLY for the price of the FZ35 to go down, then I would still buy the FZ35 as it's excellent in it's own way and you aren't going to find a better camera to start learning on...if they do come out with a "Must Have" improved FZ35 then you will already have the knowledge and experience under you belt and you will be ready for the newer model...getting a FZ35 now while it is still a beautiful time of year here in Texas is a plus also, as you will get some great shots before summer is up and have plenty of pictures for the winter time to edit, make scrapbooks, etc...

Last edited by LTZ470; May 18, 2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:22 PM   #9

Are the lenses hard to put on and take off, ( reason for you having more than one cam)? Where is the best place to buy the TC-55 Macro and the TC-55 teleconverter lenses? I saw on Amazon that I could get the camera from 6ave for $315.83.

I guess there is no info. on the newer model coming out to know what the changes will be? Rumors....? I wonder what would be the best SDHC card to get. I have seen the class 6 and 10. Also what brand of card or does that matter?
Old May 18, 2010, 12:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana View Post
Are the lenses hard to put on and take off, ( reason for you having more than one cam)? Where is the best place to buy the TC-55 Macro and the TC-55 teleconverter lenses? I saw on Amazon that I could get the camera from 6ave for $315.83.

I guess there is no info. on the newer model coming out to know what the changes will be? Rumors....? I wonder what would be the best SDHC card to get. I have seen the class 6 and 10. Also what brand of card or does that matter?
At least a Class 6 for Video...Just go to Amazon and type in Panasonic DMW LC-55 or Panasonic DMW LT-55 I think I got them labelled incorrect before...the LC-55 is the Macro Converter and the LT-55 is the Teleconverter and you will require the adapter DMW-LA3...easy to put on and take off I use two cameras as when I am wildlife shooting you don't get a second chance at a shot of a flying bird...