Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2010, 9:56 PM   #1

Default Which DSLR Package to buy? New to Photography

Hello, I am new to photography and have to take a class next semester at school because it is part of my major. I have enjoyed taking pictures with point and shoot cameras and figured it would be a nice hobby to pick up.

Now I am having trouble deciding which camera to buy and which package deal would be best. I would prefer to purchase something that includes everything and I have a few picked out which I thought would be reasonable.

First is a very basic package that seemed like a good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-...=2WPA0XKTEM99S

Next is a more advanced one but the zoom lens doesn't have Image stabilization, and I figured it would be necessary for better pictures without the tripod.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-...=2WPA0XKTEM99S

Lastly is a package that has a lot of different stuff in it but I don't really know if what is in there is stuff I will actually use since I don't know what everything really is.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-10...=2WPA0XKTEM99S

Personally I will be using this for landscapes and basic portraits but besides that I don't plan on anything more than that at the moment. But for my class I don't know what I will be required to do.

Thanks in advanced,

Shane
Spgovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2010, 10:05 PM   #2

All of these cameras are getting a little old in terms of their life cycles. Also the kits tend to include a lot of over priced stuff that isn't really what you want. What kind of things do you like to shoot and what is your budget. With these bits of information the people here can help you pick out something that will serve you well. I might consider the Pentax Kx as it is a lower priced camera with great spec for what you want to do.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 10:10 PM   #3

The second and third packages are not good. The second one includes the Canon 75-300 III, and there are better lenses that cost less. The third includes some conversion lenses that are likely to be worse.

In general, those package deals include a good camera plus a bunch of cheap, usless junk. Adorama.com sells the same camera and lens for $50 less than your first package, which you can put toward a memory card, and you'll still have ~$30 and you won't have a bunch of stuff you either won't use or that will fail after a couple of uses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 10:13 PM   #4

Well my budget is around $600 to $700 which is low but being a broke college student it is what I can afford. I am looking to get into shooting landscapes and doing HDR as well. Also I will most likely shooting photos for bands in the local area for extra practice and such. I am a graphic arts major so I have software and all that stuff that I already know how to use. Also this will be used for home family pictures as well, since my mom loves taking pictures of my little cousins all the time, but that won't be the main use of the camera.
Old May 18, 2010, 11:08 PM   #5

Adorama.com has the pentax k-x with a good 2 lens kit 55-300 and 18-55 for 690. That camera can do hdr also if you want to hold off on the software. And spend 25 dollars on a good 8gb class 6 sdhc card.

If you want a canon in your budget, I would serious look at the canon XSi with the 18-55 and 55-250 form adorama. Much better zoom lens, and higher grade camera. But it is a bit old also.

All the packages are really low end stuff. The tripod that are include are cheap plastic and thin aluminum, not very study. Those conversion lens and filters are not worth your time. The card reader you can get on ebay for 2 dollars with shipping.
Old May 18, 2010, 11:18 PM   #6

I was looking on Adorama.com and saw they also sell refurbished cameras. Is this something to consider since I have a low budget or are these risky to purchase?
Old May 18, 2010, 11:21 PM   #7

Adorama referbs are from canon, not a refreb company. And are in brand new condition. I have brought refrebs lenses form adorama in the past, and have been very happy with them. Also unlike buying it factory refreb from other companies, Adorama comes with a 1 year return to adorama warranty vs a 90 warranty. So if you are looking to save some money canon referb from adorama is the way to go with the warranty. All other brands only come with a 90 days warranty if it is a referb from adorama.
Old May 19, 2010, 6:44 AM   #8

Refurbs are a good way to go and allow stretching a tight budget. However, one question has not been addressed. What type of guidance are they giving for the class? Any suggested cameras or equipment?

In terms of new, Pentax does offer an appealing package. The biggest problem with Pentax is the high dependence on mail order. I can't even hold it in my hands, which is how I ruled out Sony. Relatively large local metro area had 2 independent camera shops plus the big box stores and none carry Pentax, although I haven't checked stores in"tourist central" as local know to avoid that (rip-off) area - but they cater to low end tourist photography anyway. Lack of local Pentax availability is not unique, as I have seen it posted by other in equally large metro areas.

At any rate, when you narrow down to a couple models, go into stores and play with them to see which one you feel most comfortable with. As mentioned Sony above, that unique 45 degree design eliminated one finger on the grip...and just felt awkward and worse, unsteady.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 12:08 PM   #9

The class itself is a basic photography class and they really didn't give me any guidance they just said we needed and DSLR which brings me here. Also with my interest of the hobby I decided I might as well get involved in it more.

I have decided I am going to buy A refurb Canon rebel eos T1i since it fits into my budget and then I can slowly build onto what I have instead of getting a package without knowing what everything is.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:10 PM   #10

It is a very good camera and can grow with you, it is beyond just a basic dslr. So it will be more you trying to catch up to it's ability.