Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 19, 2010, 3:21 PM   #11

Would you consider the ZR1 over the ZS3 ,ZS5 or ZS6?
Is the the ZS6 the same as the ZS7 without the GPS?
adrianag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 2:31 PM   #12

Costco has the ZS6 (which is the top of the line ZS7 stripped of GPS and dedicated video button) for $290 with extras. Amazon has the ZS7 for $313. Either model has advantages over the ZR1. However, the ZR1 costs 40% less. I'm debating whether to save the money and buy the ZR1 or spend more primarily for the extra 4x zoom and slightly bigger LCD.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 2:48 PM   #13

Well thank you so much for the help! I called panasonic this morning to find out why do they sell the ZS6 only at cosco and if there's any big difference with ZS7 and they said that is the same features except for the GPS.. I asked about ZS3 and they said that ZS6 replaces ZS3 because the 3 is discontinued..
I'm going today to costco to buy it since I need it for this weekend.
Thank you Again! :0)
Old May 20, 2010, 2:50 PM   #14

I will post pics next week when I come back from Orlando, Fl. Hope to have great news then..
Old May 20, 2010, 2:51 PM   #15

I would prefer the zs6 over the zs7, gps eats up the battery life. Congrats and do post some photo form your trip
Old May 21, 2010, 11:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianag View Post
... they said that is the same features except for the GPS.. ...
AND the dedicated video button. The ZS6 has the EZ zoom button in its place instead.

I went to Costco this afternoon and bought myself one as well. There are many things I like about the ZS6 over the ZR1. Besides the larger LCD and an extra 4x zoom, the ZS6 has manual controls (P/A/S/M modes) and allows for pict adjustments as well.

Tullio
Old May 21, 2010, 12:42 PM   #17

nice thing about purchasing the ZS6 from Costco is you get a camera case, a 2 gig SD card, 90 day return policy, and a 2 year concierge service / warranty. That's why I just bought one! lol. They only have it in black though.

I had an older Lumix - the TZ4 in silver and I really liked it. Excellent construction - dropped it a few times and no problems. Very good picture quality for the most part. Indoor sports were not great but acceptable for this type of camera. I really put it through the ringer and it is still functioning fine. A few pros I know that took my camera for a spin really liked it and how responsive it was.The only thing I did not appreciate was the terrible sound quality of videos shot at concerts - totally distorted (I loved being able to zoom in and out though). I'm hoping the new model fares better in sound quality. I'll find out tomorrow night at the concert I'm going to. If it has the same or better picture quality as the TZ4 I'll be a very happy camper.

Cheers!
halo_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 2:59 PM   #18

Congrats on your new camera. I haven't opened the box yet because I'm still undecided as to whether I'll keep it or not. I do have other cameras (FZ28, EP1) besides my primary camera (Pana G1). The problem is, the FZ28 is not that small and the EP1 is heavy and it's only reasonably small with the Oly 17mm pancake, which lacks the zoom. On the other hand, I have my eyes on the Pentax K-x so the question I'm debating with is, do I invest $315+ on the ZS6 or put that toward the K-x? The other option is to get the ZR1, which is much cheaper but much more limited

Tullio
Old May 31, 2010, 5:42 PM   #19

The ZS6 has exceeded all my expectations thus far. The video & audio quality are off the charts better than my old panny. The display on the back is bigger & brighter too. More manual control including white balance. About the same size as the old model so for all this camera offers it is a slam dunk in my opinion. I take it with me all the time and everybody really likes it. I'm pretty happy with the image quality as well even though there is more pixelation apparent to me in low light shots compared to the older model (I guess this is due to the larger number of pixels on the sensor even though I always kept both models set to 5MP in the menu). Looks like its a keeper. Now I just have to decide which are the best 100 photos to make into prints from Costco. lol.
halo_out is offline   Reply With Quote